mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 09-29-2010, 09:19 PM   #21 (permalink)
Poe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
I'm not saying Hydrotec is lying, but Tiberius said the same thing about their First Strike paintballs (thought the mechanism of decomposition was different).

Here's hoping that Hydrotec can show us evidence of their claims.
Tiberius rounds are polystyrene and 'only degrade in the presence of UV light'. Refer to the Hydrotec video at 6:13 to 7:40.

Interesting side note, nothing degrades in landfills. Banana peels, egg shells and apple cores have been found in +20yr old landfills.

These rounds will average 2.75g max.
Poe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:12 PM   #22 (permalink)
Reinventing the Wheel

Corn-based Plastic Part 1: What are the pros and cons - TECH.BLORGE.com

This might be the stuff they're using for the shells. This article says that it can take anywhere from 100-1000 years to degrade in a landfill; this puts some doubt in my mind that this is the same material, as that directly contradicts the video. Like Poe says, everything takes a long time to degrade in a landfill, so I'd like to see some numbers for the time it takes to degrade out in the open.

Edit: I just had a thought. Certain airsoft pellets are biodegradable, and a lot of groups go so far as to ban non-biodegradable pellets. I'm going to head over to an airsoft forum and ask for some info on them, such as the kind of plastic used, how long they take to degrade, etc.

Last edited by LoopyDood; 09-29-2010 at 10:24 PM.
LoopyDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:03 AM   #23 (permalink)
Reinventing the Wheel

And here's the thread I made: Looking for information on biodegradable BBs - Airsoft Canada

Apparently PLA BBs degrade in 90 days. Certainly not as quick as gelatin but at a low volume field (like I suggested these would be perfect for) it shouldn't be a problem. It may be more quick for a paintball shell as there is a lot more surface area than a BB.
LoopyDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:53 PM   #24 (permalink)

I looked at their website for more info. The info that I read said that it goes from a gel (at rest) to a liquid (on impact) and then back to a gel (after impact). So what happens if you break a ball in the breach? Will it be liquid like and spread all over the marker? What about shorting out the electronics? (Maybe this was already covered before).
georgeyew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:55 AM   #25 (permalink)
I've porked many

Kind of sounds like all hype and spin so far. Not like that ever has be done in relation to paintball products.......

My Feedback Thread[/SIZE][/SIZE]
pillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:47 PM   #26 (permalink)
JKR
AKA: Wraith

The scheduled release is getting close!

Manike, if you are following this thread, pass the word onto the paintball dept of your employer that RPS may lose a long-time customer soon. If this Hydrotec paintball lives up to the hype, I may leave Marballizers behind. Tell RPS to start using the Advantage shell again and making the ball a consistent .686-.688 and maybe I'll remain a customer!

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
JKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:21 PM   #27 (permalink)
MCB Member

i have been watching this stuff for a while. it seams like they give pretty consistent info that makes me optimistic about the validity of their claims. ill tell you right now i really want to shoot this stuff to see how it preforms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5EqHO7BzV0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x37puMxN4yk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A99ZE-U_eBE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OUpnEKGAWs

A wise man once said:
"The gap between theory and reality is not as far in theory as it is in reality."

http://www.tjdcustomhobbies.com
tjd10684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:29 PM   #28 (permalink)
Want to see my spaceship?

After watching these videos, I feel I have gotten better clarification as to what to expect from these paintballs. I'd be willing to pick up a case if my local paintball shop decides to carry HyrdroTec.
Phoenix01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:39 AM   #29 (permalink)
JKR
AKA: Wraith

I was told on their Facebook page in response to a couple of questions that the weight of the mid-grade paint, Armada, will be 2.7 grams (+/- .1 g) with the current formulation. Additionally, the comparison to breaking like Evil paint is for the tournament grade paint. The other two paintballs will not break so easily...a good thing according to this L7 Automag shooter!

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
JKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:07 AM   #30 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR View Post
I was told on their Facebook page in response to a couple of questions that the weight of the mid-grade paint, Armada, will be 2.7 grams (+/- .1 g) with the current formulation. Additionally, the comparison to breaking like Evil paint is for the tournament grade paint. The other two paintballs will not break so easily...a good thing according to this L7 Automag shooter!

You don't feel like you might be at a disadvantage against players shooting 3.2 gram paintballs?

The Hydrotec paintballs will be 15% inferior to the standard paint. 15% inferior range and 15% inferior resistance to being affected by wind.

Something tells me that this is a backstep. And hydrotec will not sell well.
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News