mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 11-11-2010, 01:10 AM   #41 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to BigOldSkool

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
6 Years later... they are still unapealing to me.

RIP - Ed "BigDaddy" Roth and "Indian" Larry
Wild Geese - Coney Isand White Fish - ECA
BOS's Feedback!
What Serial Number Is Your Cocker? WTB
ECAP - "Making players dreams other players nightmares"
COUSINS PAINTBALL
BigOldSkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:57 AM   #42 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
you know what's funny? spyders spent years until they finally managed to move the gripframe forward, and high end guns move them to the back.
This is actually a great example of design trending...

For a while, consumers were infatuated with how small a marker could be, so everybody built progressively smaller guns. Manufacturers came up with buzzwords to sell it... Lighter/tighter. Etc.

Except that having guns that small are horrible for ergonomics. Ever wondered why that kid with the stock tippmann is racking up as many kills as you are? Because his aimpoint is way easier to control.

So now, guns are trending cautiously towards a longer design. Besides a few early adopters (macdev), and a few manufacturers that never went light'n'tight, all the companies are going to release guns that get longer for the next few years.

Spyder, meanwhile, is just being spyder. They're now catching up to the last fad, just in time to STILL be out of date.
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:02 AM   #43 (permalink)
MCB Member

If I were in the market for an electro, I'd rather get this than an etek. Milling isn't too bad, overall is much like the rest of the poppet valves out there (egos are poppet, right?). The whole macro less thing is getting popular these days.

That old alien is sweet. Kind of funky on the top, but I like how it is different.
bellicose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:24 PM   #44 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
Oh now that's cool. I'd love to see how he got that door to rotate.
There were many different versions durings its preproduction cycle.

Initially, they used a dual-ram system. One for the valve, and one for the door. Then a small DC motor was considered, and eventually, later versions used a linkage system like the Rainmaker/Vector/Sterling.

The trap itself changed as well. Initially, it was more like the Epic, but he ran into patent problems, and changed to an iris-style door. In the end, it still has all the same problems that all trap-style systems have.

Plus, as with the Cocker, it was more complex that it needed to be to get the job done.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:31 PM   #45 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
There were many different versions durings its preproduction cycle.

Initially, they used a dual-ram system. One for the valve, and one for the door. Then a small DC motor was considered, and eventually, later versions used a linkage system like the Rainmaker/Vector/Sterling.

The trap itself changed as well. Initially, it was more like the Epic, but he ran into patent problems, and changed to an iris-style door. In the end, it still has all the same problems that all trap-style systems have.

Plus, as with the Cocker, it was more complex that it needed to be to get the job done.
I know exactly what they ran into. I was looking at a way that would eliminate the need for two linked systems and came up with something. I ran into cycling issues, and lost focus on the project. It can work. It can be small, light, and fast, but I just don't think it (talking about mine) would find a place because it's just so different. With patent filing fees as low as they are, maybe I'll just write one, file, and then show it off to see what people think.

EDIT: Thanks for the info. It's fascinating to see what people work on and it's a shame a lot never makes the light of day.

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:36 PM   #46 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to WillyW0nka

For those complaining about the way the foregrip/regulator looks, it isn't the one that is coming with the gun. Jack has already mentioned that it will not come with different grips and a different foregrip.
WillyW0nka is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News