mcarterbrown.com

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 11-15-2010, 11:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
I Am The Admin

Send a message via AIM to Painthappy

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
2010 Paintball Survey Results

Thanks to everyone that took this years site survey on the state of paintball for the year 2010.

As always, there are some standard results we all expect and some that I personally did not expect to see. Here is the raw data first:

2010 Results

Prior Years:
2009 Results
2007 Results

Here's the basic breakdown and highlights that I've talked out of this. Please post up if you see something or don't agree with my assessment.

Times Played:

Looks like playing was up this year compared to last year. If you measure the folks that played more than 5 times:

2007 - 66%
2009 - 53%
2010 - 70%

Obviously quite a good sign for the sport. People are out playing and playing more than just a few times a year.

Guns Purchased:

But in contrast the number of guns players purchased this year, while slightly up for the single purchase, was down significantly in regards to multiple purchases

If you look at those that purchased more than 2 guns this year over the years, you'll see the downward trend:

2007 - 68%
2009 - 56%
2010 - 51%

It also seem that the purchasing of new guns is down slightly... (This question was only asked in the past 2 years, not all 3)

32% said yes, they did purchase a new gun - While the rest (except for those that didn't buy anything) opted to purchase on the secondary market...

Cheap Guns?

I think as of late we see items manufacturers make and build because they think it's what we want. We've seen cheaper and cheaper guns being built and put on the shelves for sale.

I think the idea behind this is that "gun sales" are down, and it must be because of the price. Of course with cheaper guns comes cheaper quality. Not always, but most of the time this holds true.

So we asked the question: How much are you willing to spend on your next purchase? These were the results:

Over 72% of respondents said they were willing to spend over $350 on their next purchase.

Breaking it down further:
Over 54% of our almost 600 surveyed said they plan on spending over $450 on their next new purchase.

It would seem to me that people are willing to pay for quality, but once they do, they're good for a while. The advancement of paintball technology has hit a peak and then some. What is the real difference between a 2005/6/7/8 electro and a 2011 electro of the same brand?

And of course all those guns have flooded the market due to the marketing to kids (teenagers) who have now gone off to college and no longer play much. They sell their guns, and therefore perfectly good electro markers sell for cheap. When I purchase a 2005 Eclipse Ego which shoots perfectly in every way, pay $275 for it, and have people tell me a paid too much... I KNOW the secondary market is flooded.

Maybe it's time to build higher quality guns and cater to a slightly older crowd.

66% of our survey respondents are 25 years of age or older, and looking back at the times played chart, and seeing that 75% of them played paintball more than 5 times, it is the older crowd (at least on this site) that is still playing and playing the most.

What do MCBers like to play?

I personally attended more tournaments than scenarios / large games this year, but seeing first hand the poor attendance of people and even vendors at some of the tournaments, there isn't a huge market for that crowd. Sure you can say this is MCB, but I was there along with a lot of other folks in the pump tournament scene. When the Dye semi truck and trailer shows up at the NPPL DC event, and never opens up, doesn't set up a tent, etc... I.E., doesn't even bother... That says a lot.

Why MCB?

I want to say thanks because just as many of you said that you come here for the latest Paintball News as you do for the For Sale section. That means a lot and really says something about what we're trying to do here.

Of course 50% of you stated that your wallet has suffered ever since you found the site. Sorry.

Oh and lastly, what we all knew:

For this I blame Mar.
google.com/+CarterBrown75
Painthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
Thanks for all your work on this Carter.
I don't so much make money, as provide a conduit for it's movement.
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Real Nurse

Send a message via AIM to nickydp33

Brass N Wood Fan
I love the i don't remember but my wallet has suffered. so true
nickydp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Some interesting results. Thanks for putting it together Carter.

Don't worry, our wallets can't be hurting that bad. We still stick around.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Serving Tea for CCM

Send a message via AIM to senghing27

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Gosh darn them college kids...
I wish I sold my stuff when I went to college.... Hehehe
~My Feedback~
senghing27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
2 Infinity and Beyond!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Some interesting results. Thanks for putting it together Carter.

Don't worry, our wallets can't be hurting that bad. We still stick around.
It's not like the money is really leaving the site. The Post Office(s) skim a little off the top, but the b/s/t here is probably pretty incestuous.

Thanks for putting the numbers out there Carter.

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Devious Penguin Mod

Send a message via AIM to Surge-NS

CCM Fan
I'm a college kid (again), and I bought two guns this year, played 4 tournaments, and about 4 more scenarios lol. Does that make me irresponsible? I don't know, but paintball sho is fun.

Edit, forgot about the MM09 I bought that's in transit now after 1.5 years of waiting. Guess that's 3 guns....

Aggressive! Kill!

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=50&dateline=121202619  6
Surge-NS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

i definitely have played more this year, pretty much every weekend with the exception of the last 2 months when i haven't played at all.

Good to know that it is estimated that there is an increase in players at the fields. I guess people are spending more to actually go play as opposed to buy a new marker.
Flonominal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
I got 99 Problems

I played a little less than I wanted to over the summer, but my spring/fall playing is seriously hampered due to my being 5 hours away from my gear . But MCB inspired me to start a paintball club at my college, so it's all good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
I'm gonna pop some aggs.
Only got 20 rounds in my pocket.
I'm huntin'
Looking for some cover,
This is ****ing awesome.
moving_target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_target View Post
But MCB inspired me to start a paintball club at my college, so it's all good
Good for you.
I don't so much make money, as provide a conduit for it's movement.
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News