mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 12-03-2010, 12:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Dept of Redundancy Dept.

AKA Fan
Wally world

I really dont know what every one is whining about. With few exceptions, everyone's first purchase was walmart or equivelent low end junk...I know mine was...I'm sure it was JT!! It wasn't long before I had my first mid level marker...a brand new PM6...I still have it!!! not long after that, an EGO!! I know own 5 Egos and a gaggle of other markers!!

What this means is that the filds will be full!!! Buying field paint...buying from the pro shops, spuring on R&D in ALL companies. Having it happen right now, with no real threat of reprisal from SP...new companies will spring up...new technology will be introduced!!! Yes Kee will make a killing...some of that money will make it to empire...new product offerings for the mini line...new high ends with technology we have only been promised in the past...the industry will have an added profit incentitive to bring out this new technology!!!

This industry is in need of capital!!! Here it comes!!

Stop whining and get ready to mentor some newbies!!!
Tcom022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by medic67 View Post
I can't compete with them now on paint prices, to do so I would loose money or possibly break even on a case.
It is just a stab into the small owner again by big business. Sure I get to repair a bunch of guns that were bought at the box stores, with the economy as it is markers are just not selling, well the higher quality and higher priced ones that is.
Accessories, repairs and tank fills are all that are squeaking most of us by.
I don't get it. It's not another stab, this is something that's been done at least as long as I've been in the sport. Some of you are being dramatic here.

If you guys really want to talk about what's hurting the small shop it's not Walmart. You need to focus your attention on the online merchants and that's a whole different thread entirely.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMachinist View Post
$400 per 1000

smoke'em if you got'em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

same as my first post

Last edited by medic67; 12-03-2010 at 01:44 PM.
medic67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:31 PM   #14 (permalink)

I will agree with you there Duece, online is an issue. Ok, I am done pissing on it.
medic67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

My local field buys paint from kee. Is there any guarantee that walmart will use the same MSRP as fields do? It's going to suck for us if walmart undercuts the same brands by $5 a case or more, and its definitely in the realm of possibility.

The same field is also on the list for the $35 field free play certificate in these packs. They were not told that this would be happening, apparently its part of the Kee dealers contract or something.

I've also heard that this is going to make walmart Kee exclusive. Is that true?

Nothing beats a good day at Mount Doom.
Daze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
a.k.a. Kazzy

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze View Post
My local field buys paint from kee. Is there any guarantee that walmart will use the same MSRP as fields do? It's going to suck for us if walmart undercuts the same brands by $5 a case or more, and its definitely in the realm of possibility.

The same field is also on the list for the $35 field free play certificate in these packs. They were not told that this would be happening, apparently its part of the Kee dealers contract or something.

Tell your local field to buy the paint that Walmart cant sell...Field paints.

And you have to sign up to be on that field list...at some point, someone at the field signed up to be included.

Ebay Feedback
RCasna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #17 (permalink)
Deluxe super psychedelic

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze View Post
if so it may mean the death of kingman (fingers crossed)

Photo blog: http://bluemorocco.blogspot.com/
If you are straight with me, I am straight with you : http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Created by Shade, stolen from foughtwolf's sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by splatmaster12 View Post
If I didn't play pump I wouldn't play, simple as that.
wrongbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:09 PM   #18 (permalink)

Does Wal-Mart selling cheap crap packages really hurt the PB stores? Do you really make your money on $12 masks, $50 guns, $2 barrel plugs, $10 hoppers, and $20 CO2 bottles? It's not like they're selling Etek/I4/Rotor/4500 psi HPA packages for $375...

The way I see this playing out is this:

Kid buys cheap crap at Wally World, goes to field (maybe field even plays along with the free admission, because how far is 200 rounds of the included paintballs going to go), kid sees "sweet ***" guns at field (or field/store combo), kid gets nicer gun/supporting equipment, kid recruits friends to play, etc...

I am honestly quite frustrated with the mentality of many field/store owners. This isn't a new feeling either. You guys bitch when a "big box" store sells paint for cheaper than you. Come on guys, this is how business has been going on for YEARS. But, I don't buy my paint there for cheaper. Why? Because I know that paint that has been sitting in a warehouse/on shelves/etc for an unknown period of time is a crap shoot as to if it's actually still round, or looks like a sugar cube. You guys who run the fields/stores have to do that same thing that all the other industries hurt by "big box" stores have done and make your customer service/advice/education be the reason your products are with more money. Quit bitching when someone shows up with stuff you didn't sell...just view it as a golden opportunity to recruit a new customer . If it's subpar, they will notice that soon enough. The guys who are getting stuff at Wal-Mart probably would've never even thought about going to an intimidating PB store/field.

I would liken what you're saying to what many owners of hunting/fishing stores have gone through. I have a very good friend who has a firearms shop (an extremely successful one). Does he sell guns just as cheap as Wal-Mart? Well no...he also doesn't stock the "garbage" Wal-Mart stocks. His prices are very fair...but on some stuff he just can't compete with Wal-Mart for basic price. But...here's what he does do. If you buy a scope from him he will mount it and bore sight it. Is that worth much money? Not to me...but maybe to some. He also stocks the MUCH nicer stuff that Wal-Mart would never think of selling. He also has unmatched experience in his field, and offers his advice, suggestions, education, customer service, etc. Wal-Mart is not really his competitor...honestly. If people are looking to spend Wal-Mart price for a gun, they really aren't looking to spend the money the guns he sells go for.

I'd say it's similar with you guys. If someone is looking at spending $100-150 for a marker package, are they the same person that might spend $500 for a new Etek, $70 for a mask, $150 for a tank, $70-120 for a hopper, etc? Probably not. However, if they buy that "garbage" and show up and play (and then come back again and again)...are they potential future customers for the aforementioned products...quite possibly.
FormulaZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:10 PM   #19 (permalink)
Yield and Overcome...

CCM Fan
I think it's a good news story overall. I get tired of people bemoaning the decline of the sport in one breath and then decrying large-scale distribution agreements like this one as an assault on mom-n-pop businesses in the next.

1. The fact that Wal-Mart considers paintball safe enough to carry products is an important source of legitimacy, as far as parents are concerned.

2. The competitive risk to small businesses is impossible to determine in any categorical sense and will vary by locale. In some areas, there may be no pre-existing store. In other areas, there may be a store, but the "shrink the percentage of market share but grow the overall market size" may lead to real increases in revenues for shops.

3. And as others have noted, a certain number of newbies will play once and get hooked. Their next barrel, hopper, mask or marker ain't coming from Wal-Mart. This is the breeding ground for new business to small, specialty retailers...online and bricks 'n mortar.

Go Kee.
Dr. PhunkyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
Yield and Overcome...

CCM Fan
Hah...FormulaZR, writing in parallel with you there.
Dr. PhunkyPants is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News