mcarterbrown.com

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 12-03-2010, 12:19 PM   #21 (permalink)
WVU paintball #19

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze View Post
The same field is also on the list for the $35 field free play certificate in these packs. They were not told that this would be happening, apparently its part of the Kee dealers contract or something.
The vouchers they are including seem like a good idea. Sure it sucks that a field has to shell out $35 initially. But that new customer has the potential to bring a lot more money to the field in the future.
minimag03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:24 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimag03 View Post
The vouchers they are including seem like a good idea. Sure it sucks that a field has to shell out $35 initially. But that new customer has the potential to bring a lot more money to the field in the future.
I am NOT advocating that stupid coupon...nor would I take any issue with a non-participating field who (rightly so) refused to honor it.
FormulaZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:35 PM   #23 (permalink)
WVU paintball #19

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaZR View Post
I am NOT advocating that stupid coupon...nor would I take any issue with a non-participating field who (rightly so) refused to honor it.
I understand where you're coming from, but I don't think it would be very smart to refuse it. That could potentially anger the customer and stop them from spending any money at that field. Plus, that customer could also tell their friends, who could tell their friends,who could tell their grandmother. What I'm saying is, a field could lose more money than $35 by not honoring a coupon they apparently already signed up to honor.
minimag03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #24 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to SN toter

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
I understand where you're coming from, but I don't think it would be very smart to refuse it. That could potentially anger the customer and stop them from spending any money at that field. Plus, that customer could also tell their friends, who could tell their friends,who could tell their grandmother. What I'm saying is, a field could lose more money than $35 by not honoring a coupon they apparently already signed up to honor.
Is that the same coupon that has fine print that the player must buy at least 500 rounds of paint?

It's not all loss by the field. One day of free entry for a long term customer? And your still getting SOMETHING from them...
Old 12-03-2010, 12:39 PM   #25 (permalink)
Inch of Gold

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
PBN Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongbloke View Post
if so it may mean the death of kingman (fingers crossed)

Not sure why you'd want Kingman dead, but I don't see that much Kingman stuff FS at Wallyworld anyway, mostly 98 blister packs and assorted "lower" end STBBs (VLs, etc).
Old 12-03-2010, 12:39 PM   #26 (permalink)

Yeah, this is a good thing for small local paintball shops and fields.

1. More players since Walmart is a WELL KNOWN store, and if they see paintball stuff there, even if they don't buy it, they are going to want to try it. (some, obviously not everyone xD)
2. If a new kid buys a gun from there, he will obviously play at a field, so fields have it good.
3. Eventually the kid is going to want a better gun, obviously Walmart will not have this gun, so they'll go online OR go to their local paintball shop and buy their new marker and gear their.
4. Eventually, this person will be going quite a bit, and buy paint at the field or at the shop (depends on the person)
5. Remember, the kids that go to Walmart probably only got into paintball because they realized they could get some gear there, then eventually realized there was a local paintball shop down the street, which they didn't know about before.

In other words, this is helping fields and stores, so I should be hearing thanks to Kee for this, and I'm not a Kee fan. (I also don't hate Kee)
7usabball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:42 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
No no...not ALL fields signed up for this. Kee does have some participating fields; but not every field is one of them. I do get what you're saying...but that's a decision that's up to the field operator. Kee can sell whatever they want, to whoever they want, at whatever price they want; but Kee can't give away what isn't theirs!
IF Kee wanted to do this the right way, they should've made that coupon redeemable by the field owner for $$$. Or, not included the coupon (you KNOW that if the coupon wasn't there people would still have bought) at all and substituted a training video in it's place!

I just wanted to clarify that my earlier post was only in regard to the equipment being sold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN toter View Post
Is that the same coupon that has fine print that the player must buy at least 500 rounds of paint?

It's not all loss by the field. One day of free entry for a long term customer? And your still getting SOMETHING from them...
I get what you mean...but you're missing the point that regard of what the field op might recoup, the field fee, rental, etc was NOT Kee's to give away in the first place (unless, of course, we are talking about one of the not-so-numerous participating fields). It's just plain wrong of Kee to expect a field to honor that coupon.

Last edited by FormulaZR; 12-03-2010 at 12:48 PM.
FormulaZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:44 PM   #28 (permalink)
Dept of Redundancy Dept.

AKA Fan
Yea Kee!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaZR View Post
Not sure how it is working, but Empire (Kee) is already offering a newbie coupon online...good for everything but the paintballs (rental, fee, and air)

Gets em out the first time!!!

If the industry can get the kids (and their parents) out the first time...the sport will pull them in!!

That's how I got involved!!! Had purchased a JT Stryker package for a Christmas present for my son (at WalMart)...he played once with it asked for his birthday party to at our local field!! That's the first and last time I ever rented equipment!! There are 4 kids from that birthday party that still play together!!!

If I were a field/shop owner, I would be excited!!
Tcom022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:46 PM   #29 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
If it gets more new people interested in paintball, then it will actually help the local paintball shop, if they are doing it right. If they are trying to compete with WalMart head to head, they are doing it wrong and chances are they would be heading for failure with or without the big box stores selling paintball gear.
This is exactly right.

Wal-Mart and local field owners are catering (or should be) to two difference niche markets within the paintball community. Wal-Mart is responsible for introducing an untold number of people to paintball who might otherwise never try the sport. It offers an affordable solution for new players to try paintball without dumping huge amounts of money into gear at their local pro-shop before they decide how committed to paintball they want to be.

Honestly, all of you anti Wal-Mart people need to get over it. Having paintball equipment of a decent quality at an affordable price will do nothing but get more people playing the sport.

The inclusion of a "free pass" with each kit is sure genius that will not only get people out to their local field, but will also lead to some of those players spending money at their local pro-shops.

Honestly, how many local fields/pro-shops are going to carry these kinds of entry level kits? Probably not many. Let these shops focus on more seasoned players. When the Wal-Mart entry level people want to upgrade they're going to go to their local shops or go online to upgrade their equipment -- not Wal-Mart.

Online stores are a much bigger threat to local pro-shops than Wal-Mart will be. And, honestly, that doesn't bother me either. There is absolutely nothing wrong with looking for the best value for your money. If you want to spend slightly higher prices to support your locals then that's great...but don't dismiss or otherwise criticize those who look for a better value.

Honestly, with the economy the way it is, everyone should be applauding this deal between Kee and Wal-Mart.
SicEmBaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:53 PM   #30 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Yep, good for Kee. I feel like they are much smarter than K2 was, and can do much more with this opportunity. On the topic of the coupons, as long as they have signed agreements with the fields, I see no problem with it.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News