mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 12-08-2010, 11:11 PM   #21 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo View Post
I didn't even know PSP allowed side coaching before. Here at SC village, we call that cheating (actually we just assume you're still alive and shoot you again). This is really cool, I may actually consider playing speedball now.
Under the old rules, there is one sideline coach. Dead men still can't talk. The crowd can shout whatever they want. It actually makes it more like playing a game of basketball with the noise and filtering you have to do. Processing it all and filtering the noise/signal is a challenge in its own right. Granted, not as challenging as playing without, but it does take a different set of skills than most people seem to be willing to credit it.

Walk on or non tournament play, I don't see a point. Deadmen NEVER talk, no matter what you're playing. Coaching in an organized tournament where everyone knows you can? Not a problem.

Why not cut the pit crew too? Make it really just about the guys on the field.

Nothing beats a good day at Mount Doom.
Daze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:25 PM   #22 (permalink)
Texas Rush - Pump Player

In a game of hide and go seek and tag, I would consider you more of a man to play without a coach, for sure.

If I was playing poker or black jack or go fish or any other similar game and I had a coach yelling which cards they have, people might get upset. Again, I'd prefer no coaching.

The game relies on big moves to go unnoticed in order to make huge plays and break the game open

It'd be interesting to see someone tell a deer where all the hunters are at lol
Shawn_Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:27 PM   #23 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to blackrain

Finally,now the player will have to think and shoot. Excellent format, and I don't even like speedball.
Later,
Blackrain
blackrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:28 PM   #24 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
everyone is saying it takes no skill to play with a coach. unless you have actually played psp you dont really understand what you are saying.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:37 PM   #25 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexH View Post
everyone is saying it takes no skill to play with a coach. unless you have actually played psp you dont really understand what you are saying.
I would stay the statement could be applied to many different sports and still be just as relevant.

Coaching is cool when done correctly. It's also great to have good coaches during practice. That's where it ends though, you don't need people screaming locations. That results in a decreased skillset we can argue the point all day it won't change anything.

This is why you have team captains and dialogue within the team. You should be using your teammates to make moves and score the win, not some *** outside the netting.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMachinist View Post
$400 per 1000

smoke'em if you got'em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:51 PM   #26 (permalink)
SPPL/UWL Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze View Post
I don't have any problem with coaching actually. I can't think of a team sport that doesn't have sideline coaching.

If I decided (theoretically) to field an NFL team with no coaches, would you consider me a man of more integrity than other owners, or really, really stupid?
I have a weak grasp of NFL football, but seems to me that the coaches aren't effectively able to communicate with players during the plays.

I wouldn't even think about running a PSP team without a coach.. you've got to have a top down perspective for practices, player decisions, and the like. It's a great way to get an older, wiser player involved with the team. But sideline coaching has always felt cheap to me.

I say kudos to all of the changes except the field length change... there are ways to make the field "feel" longer without making most every field in the country no longer PSP compliant (I presume that NPPL and PSP field sizes were similar before this).

Overall.. kudos!
Lomarandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:46 AM   #27 (permalink)
MCB Member

Daze - As stated, I think the NFL is a bad comparison. You don't have less experienced NFL players who literally don't know what to do unless someone is dictating it to them. I hate "audience coaching" even more since it ends up being punk kids who aren't even playing just shouting crap at you. To my knowledge, since I'm also not a huge football fan, coaches help motivate players, set plays, and change strategies. That's all something the pit coach can do. If anything, I think that emphasizes the coach to player relationship if anything.

As for the lengthening of the field and the rate of fire cap, I think 12 is fine, or 15 might be fine again with a longer field. What did not work in my opinion were ultra small bunkers with 15 BPS on a field that was small. It changes the pace of the game, and yes, sometimes it is exciting for the audience, but from a gameplay point of view I think tons and tons of reactionary bunkering to the point of it forming a huge chain gets old quick. The field should not be big enough to let a losing team stall the game unnecessarily regardless.

Last edited by NSGSplatmaster; 12-09-2010 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Added info.
NSGSplatmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:53 AM   #28 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I don't have any problem with coaching actually. I can't think of a team sport that doesn't have sideline coaching.
i can't think of a team sport where keeping things hidden is part of the game that does have sideline coaching. do they coach poker tournaments?
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:56 AM   #29 (permalink)
MCB Member

The NFL may be a bad comparison. Basketball, then. Coaches can effectively change a game mid stride on a basketball court.

Comparing tournament paintball to poker or hunting is comparing apples to golfcarts. I can't even begin to see where you're coming from, Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
i can't think of a team sport where keeping things hidden is part of the game that does have sideline coaching. do they coach poker tournaments?
Seriously, two poker references already? I don't know about your strategies, but I've never, ever, hinged a game on the idea of the other team not knowing where my guys are. I expect us to be able to out perform the other team at running, snap shooting, communicating, and thinking. What are you keeping hidden? Does your whole game plan rely on getting to the snake unnoticed?

Can you honestly think of a team sport where keeping things hidden is part of the game? Am I missing something critical in tournament paintball that I'm not keeping this "thing" hidden? What is it? Where do you normally hide it? I thought flags had to be kept visible, and so did armbands.

Nothing beats a good day at Mount Doom.

Last edited by Daze; 12-09-2010 at 01:02 AM.
Daze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:11 AM   #30 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Can you honestly think of a team sport where keeping things hidden is part of the game? Am I missing something critical in tournament paintball that I'm not keeping this "thing" hidden? What is it? Where do you normally hide it? I thought flags had to be kept visible, and so did armbands.
that's the point. paintball is the only game where staying hidden has an advantage, and side coaching is interfering with that.

you don't have to "hinge a game" on the idea of the other team not knowing where your players are, but you have to admit if you manage to pull it off you have an advantage. or maybe you shoot loud guns so you never knew hiding would help...
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News