mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 03:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
allergic to phone calls

I can understand the reasoning behind the changes - it's a business that, in tough times, needs to change or become extinct.

I'm wondering, however, if these changes will - in the end - alienate a segment of their existing player base?

Judging from some of the opinions posted in other forums, there's a lot of folks who are hating this.

Strictly from a business point of view, I'd be interested in seeing at what level L.W. has estimated - because of the changes - his amount of attrition (of those who could be reasonably expected to attend) vs. what the PSP could hopefully gain from new/old "returning" players. Yes, there will be some players/teams that will work through the growing pains, but there may be others who simply say "F-it." and go play elsewhere or not hit their one or two events a year. So in a scenario where there are losses as well as gains, and the results are flat or very minor gains, then what?

As someone who's interested but not involved in the speedball scene, I'm just throwing it out there for your thoughts and comments.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

They should bring back a mix of fields instead of just one field per tourney

Could you imagine current pro players on

Hyperball-Airball-Mounds-Woods!!!

AWESOME!
Old 12-29-2010, 04:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Oldschool veteran

It's more than just the economy. Professional paintball is boring and the players are whiny little children. Who wants to watch an event like that? Let alone sponsor it. Pros and wannabe pros need to improve their attitude overall and behave like true sportsmen. Maybe then, people will actually want to watch. Forgive me, but if I want to watch people behaving like animals while shooting at each other, Ill just go watch Cops.

Hrm, doesn't work as well as "the man with the golden gun".

Feedback thread- http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Old 12-29-2010, 04:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

At this point tournaments almost have to support themselves through entry fees because you don't get enough gate revenue or sponsor revenue to (or television). Its a fact of life. More prize $$ means bigger entrance fees, simple math. I think that the press release is well written and straight forward. What more can you ask for?
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Old 12-29-2010, 04:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ir0nExpress View Post
We realized our own changes drove our own income away so we are trying to undo them without looking like it. I (Lane Wright of PSP) am doing my best to attract more people to come play without admitting making any mistakes to make them leave in the first place. i know you agglets like sideline coaching so i am going to brown nose you, but you are driving people away without making up the monetary difference so sideline coaching has got to go.The past was a lot better, but we're in the present now, and it sucks. Please come to our events or we'll probably die
fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.L. east side View Post
I'm wondering, however, if these changes will - in the end - alienate a segment of their existing player base?

Judging from some of the opinions posted in other forums, there's a lot of folks who are hating this.
they are guessing their existing player base drove away an even larger player base in the past and bringing that larger base back will make up for driving this smaller base away.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:36 PM   #16 (permalink)
suns out guns out

Send a message via AIM to freebird

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopyDood View Post
He's not begging people to give him more money, he's trying to justify the changes PSP made to the format. I, for one, support these changes.
second
TEAM CAPTAIN - UPSTATE HATE
HORNETS NEST PAINTBALL
MCB Feedback
AO Feedback

Hillbilly death machine.
Fuel'd by Diesel fuel, Miller High Life, Gunpowder, and Red Meat.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
Devious Penguin Mod

Send a message via AIM to Surge-NS

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
they are guessing their existing player base drove away an even larger player base in the past and bringing that larger base back will make up for driving this smaller base away.
They're seeing a larger past player base, which is a quantifiable fact, and assuming that the changes they have made to the format over many years have alienated that base, which, as you implied, is an educated guess. I don't think anyone is implying it's the players themselves who drove the older segment away, at least not intentionally.

So, they are banking on some of the older players returning as well as keeping most or some of their existing player base.

When you only have one hand left to play, you play the cards the best you can I suppose. This is a desperation push that could fall flat on it's face, but alternatively, doing the same thing as they did last year is suicide. It's life or death for these guys.

Aggressive! Kill!

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=50&dateline=121202619  6
Old 12-29-2010, 05:50 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigweave74 View Post
It's more than just the economy. Professional paintball is boring and the players are whiny little children. Who wants to watch an event like that? Let alone sponsor it. Pros and wannabe pros need to improve their attitude overall and behave like true sportsmen. Maybe then, people will actually want to watch. Forgive me, but if I want to watch people behaving like animals while shooting at each other, Ill just go watch Cops.
Right on, man.

This is one of the reasons that I don't play often anymore.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Send a message via AIM to tlmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doccarl View Post
Right on, man.

This is one of the reasons that I don't play often anymore.
2nd'd. It's the biggest reason I have participated in, or even WENT to, a tournament in 10 years. I still play all the time though, recreationally only though.

Now that these changes HAVE brought back in the skill a LITTLE, so shen they do away with ramping then I'll consider playing a tournament again. (and yes I realize the likelihood of this is about as high as the likelihood of my winning power ball the next drawing).
Old 12-29-2010, 06:57 PM   #20 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
the professional end of the sport will grow back in time, but it needs to happen naturally, as it started to before there was huge pressure from the industry to go all out, and went way overboard.
just like he said. but they made grow to fast and got out of control. the same thing happen to Fuddruckers hamburger they grew to fast and could not control cost in what it took to keep company afloat and had to down size. what caused this mess was they where spending more then what they need and went way overboard. you need to have cost that equals or is good price range. since you do not want price people out or make hard for people to play at higher lvs since not good enough.
Closed Thread

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News