mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 03-04-2011, 09:44 AM   #11 (permalink)
Lumberjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
i think it's simpler than that.

k2 is bigger, can afford more sponsorship, and doesn't have a high end gun to give to its teams.
You mean Kee. K2 was the company that owned JT/Brass Eagle that sold them to Kee.

But I would agree with you otherwise. This is the most aggressive I've seen Kee push a product. I think that Kee is in a very strong position now, they've got Empire for all the pro-shop/high-end gear and JT for all the mass market Wal-Mart/Sporting Good Stores. Both brands are very strong, I remember knowing nothing of paintball when I was teenager but knowing that JT is a paintball brand. It has a very strong presence to both rec-players and serious players, despite the watering down of product it received.
Serafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:35 PM   #12 (permalink)

I own an axe and it is an incredibly easy marker to clean and hopefully by the marketing I have seen like "cop a feel" it will get the product out there. The teams using the marker are not at a huge disadvantage because of the price difference. If you have not tried one you should.
nonnco4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

Eh, the Axe craze will blow over when the sponsorships end. Honestly, I have held them and dry fired them... I can find almost nothing about them I like. At least not for $500.
breg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
BEES BEES BEES

Send a message via MSN to Harbinger[TG]

Fan of EMR
I wonder if that is my old team, Toxic. logo looks identical

edit: Nope
Old 03-24-2011, 10:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
So say we all!

Send a message via AIM to Drachen Send a message via MSN to Drachen

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by breg View Post
Eh, the Axe craze will blow over when the sponsorships end. Honestly, I have held them and dry fired them... I can find almost nothing about them I like. At least not for $500.
Eh, I've dry fired a few guns I didn't like, but liked when I got a chance to use it in a game.
Wanted: Axes
Drachen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by breg View Post
What kind of issues did you have with them? I'm always interested in design aspects that people don't like.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:54 PM   #17 (permalink)

I agree dry firing a marker and actually playing and maneuvering with it is a totally different idea. It is a good marker I own a Dye NT and a Dangerous Powers Threshold and the Axe can hang with both markers. Granted none can hang with the CCM S6.5.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckless View Post
What kind of issues did you have with them? I'm always interested in design aspects that people don't like.
A few things, but bear in mind that this is totally subjective...
1. The ergonomics. Basically due to the fact that I have rather large hands the circuit board housing and the way the trigger guard rides butted up against it makes it really uncomfortable.

2. The trigger. I know that the firing point can be adjusted, but the over all feel of the trigger, to me, is so spongy... it is like pulling the trigger into sand.

3. The On/Off lever on the ASA. I just do not like the design. To me it is too reminiscent of the RAPS ASA from DP. The lever just seems ill-placed and poorly reinforced.

As for the dry firing... I count that almost like test driving a car. I am a big guy. 6'1" and 250 lbs (I'm almost a total hedonist) and if I got into a little car that did not fit me and was just generally very uncomfortable; I would not want to drive it one inch. Holding, shouldering, and dry firing it was like the test drive to me.
Don't get me wrong: it is not an awful gun. In fact I am probably going to spend a good chunk of my summer hawking one at the local fields since the shop is getting a demo gun. But, in the end, I feel the $911 I spent on my G6R (taxes and pressure tester) was a better deal than the $500-ish for an Axe. I'm not trying to turn this into a versus thing as I know that they are two totally different classes of paint gun.
I guess that maybe I was jaded by the Mini. No, screw that. I was as open minded and excited as everyone else about the Axe, and every time I go to the shop and we don't have customers I pick the thing up and try to find a reason to justify spending the money on it, and fail miserably when doing so.
In the end, I can say this: I am not going to dog anyone for wanting to play paintball with what ever gun you want to play with. But, bear in mind that KEE/Empire/Invert?BT/JT/Haliburton is a relatively huge company when compared to most others in paintball. A lot of the hype about the Axe is directly proportional to the volume of money they chunked into marketing the Axe. Sure, umpteen Pro Teams are shooting it this season. But, you have to ask yourself: Why are they shooting it? Is it because the Axe is a better gun than say, an Ego? Or A Timmie? Or, is it because KEE/Empire/Invert/BT/JT/Haliburton recognize good press when they see it, and have a marketing budget that is probably comparable to the operating budget of the smaller companies? I mean, not only can KEE/Empire/Invert/BT/JT/Haliburton provide a gun, but jerseys, pads, loaders, masks, gloves, tech support, and paint. Where as many of the smaller companies can only provide a gun and maybe pads. Unless you are sponsored by DYE.
Ok, in closing for real: if you like it buy it. I'm not going to stop you. Hell, come by the shop and I will sell one to you. And, don't think that I hate Empire. I love my prophecy, and I love their pads. Just not their guns.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:44 PM   #19 (permalink)

It is all relative in the long run I agree with you to each their own. I am happy to at with the axe. I don't really care who is playing or what they are shooting as long as they are playing and enjoying the sport. Like I said previously I like to shoot everything but most of the guys I have loaned my axe out to love it. I am happy with it and at least Breg you gave it a fair shake.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:49 PM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonnco4ever View Post
It is all relative in the long run I agree with you to each their own. I am happy to at with the axe. I don't really care who is playing or what they are shooting as long as they are playing and enjoying the sport. Like I said previously I like to shoot everything but most of the guys I have loaned my axe out to love it. I am happy with it and at least Breg you gave it a fair shake.
Thanks, you would not believe how much not liking the Axe is like handing the Trolls flame throwers.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News