mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 05-14-2011, 01:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Limited Paint Play Zealot

I'm not sad to see them go at all. Around Chicago they billed themselves as a "local" paintball supplier. Yet when ordering from them or going into the shop nothing about them was local. Everything was rigid and inflexible. They wouldn't consider offers for older gear that should have been on clearance. And worst of all ... when they would make a mistake processing an order or checkout. Instead of making a post adjustment to the order. They would need to "refund" and the redo the entire order. This lead to delays in shipping, double charges on debit/credit cards, CC flagging and declining the second attempt at ordering because of built in card security.

Here they are, what seemed to be paintball loving folks a few minutes from where I used to live. And ordering from them or going into their shop felt just as cold and inflexible as doing business with and ANS or Amazon across the country. The employees couldn't do anything about it, and the management didn't care or wouldn't even listen when I'd try to bring my concerns to them.

I gave up on them about two years ago and I'm likely not the only one.
Tertiary: 2k2 Blue Shoebox Shocker / 16" .689 CP / 88-4500 Classic Maxflow / BluApache
+ too many ol' Shoebox Shockers for loaners.
VooDooAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge-NS View Post
This is unfortunate for fields and players in Illinois, where their warehouse served as a storefront business. Remember that nationally, players don't usually have access to small stores and fields aren't often well stocked with their high overhead. Places like AV and ANS serve important markets. also, walmart is a big box store. An online business with one warehouse is still a small business. I knew the people who worked there, and I think a lot of the vindictiveness in this thread is unwarrented and based on incorrect assumptions about the nature of their business, especially locally.
I'm local, and based on my own experiences I strongly disagree. CPX, Fox, and now Paintball Explosions all have nice storefronts in the Chicago area. Some of the folks at AV were genuinely into paintball. But the attitude there that was pushed down from the top had nothing "local" about it.
Tertiary: 2k2 Blue Shoebox Shocker / 16" .689 CP / 88-4500 Classic Maxflow / BluApache
Old 05-14-2011, 04:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Devious Penguin Mod

Send a message via AIM to Surge-NS

CCM Fan
Your mileage may vary I suppose. And you're rigjt, Chicago has a ton of options for quality paintball business. My main point was less the local business aspect, and more so that just because a business is large and operates online doen't make it evil, and AV and ANS have as much rigjt to attempt to compete as anybody.

People were talking about unethical business practices, but they weren't underselling or getting any special deals the other stores don't. I helped run a small shop for a bit last year in the area and we got all the same offers from distributors so far as I could tell.

I just don't approve of this "they had it coming" nonsense from people who judge them simply because they did business online and aren't a small single storefront.

Aggressive! Kill!

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=50&dateline=121202619  6
Surge-NS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow_772 View Post
Didn't see that coming...
I did. Action Village gone the way of the dodo? Maybe we can get the threads merged
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:21 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge-NS View Post
I just don't approve of this "they had it coming" nonsense from people who judge them simply because they did business online and aren't a small single storefront.
That's fair. Yeah I had no problem that they had a website. My problem was that in the store front they acted like they were a mom and pop place, before the sale. But at the checkout, or support time you felt like you were dealing with the rigidity of a machine through the imperfect interface of a human. Whenever I asked to speak to a manager, initially to offer friendly suggestions that in the future they handle a situation differently. I was told they were too busy to talk with me.

Bottom line is that they had great prices with instant gratification for the local folks. No waiting for a delivery from the web, or a special order from one of the smaller shops. I kept torturing myself trying to make the convenience and price work.

Again... I don't hold a grudge against the employees working the AV storefront. I hope they can find something new quickly. They tried to be helpful. And I often waited as I saw them help a new player get into reasonable starting gear. The management is what I had a problem with, never interfacing directly with the customers. Even when specifically requested.

edit: Unsubscribing to this thread... I don't want to be tempted to rehash this again and again.

Last edited by VooDooAddict; 05-14-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

paintballgear.com was the place I ordered my first gun from. I love that website and I was bummed when they changed the format. They have always been good. Now I don't know what I'll do.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:56 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

I have usually bought straight from the manuf. and AV has always been a little over priced in my opinion. Who on MCB buys new anyway? I have purchased two of about 30+ markers new during my foray in the sport. Used is the way to go.
bellicose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:15 PM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
PBN Fan
Action Village was not a "big box" store.

new gearbag sale - updated
Robinsucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
K-Sooo?

i don't see why everyone is "happy to see them go" not everyone has the luxury of having many shops around them to choose from, here in Idaho, i only have one local field. and you can't get anything unless its from tippmann or dye, don't get me wrong i love the field and the people, but sometimes i like to get stuff from other companies as well and online stores are the only place. i ordered my first gun aside from a tippmann from AV.
xXMetalHead89Xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻)

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT. View Post
This is crappy folks what about the people that will be out of work health insurance living off unemployment witch won't pay all the bill. Yes they where a big box store but the employees have bills as well.
because hundreds of thousands of jobs arent really availiable right now.
Droop is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News