mcarterbrown.com

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 09:04 PM   #21 (permalink)
Ridin' The ShortBus

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Palmers Fan
I've bought stuff from Chris over the years...always a chill dude, always took time to keep me updated even during the season about some of the items he was shipping. Asked for a few autograph pieces and he always obliged. Still a fan
Old 05-17-2011, 05:26 PM   #22 (permalink)

Skills?

Other than playing paintball and being a paintball "face", does the man have any skills to bring to any employer?
I mean construction, medical, law enf, and or so on?
Old 05-17-2011, 05:29 PM   #23 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocockerfan View Post
Other than playing paintball and being a paintball "face", does the man have any skills to bring to any employer?
I mean construction, medical, law enf, and or so on?
When he was featured on that "Xtreme Paintball: Beyond the Paint" show, it seemed that his core competency was promoting parties. Or something.

Not sure how one makes a career of that.

MCB Feedback
Old 05-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #24 (permalink)
2 Infinity and Beyond!

It's not a career, more of a lifestyle:

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
Old 05-17-2011, 06:14 PM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

I respect his and yours service, but I have no respect for him as a player. Actually its not just him, its most of the so called "pros". I have no use for any of them.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:53 PM   #26 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to WillyW0nka

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdawg View Post
When he was featured on that "Xtreme Paintball: Beyond the Paint" show, it seemed that his core competency was promoting parties. Or something.

Not sure how one makes a career of that.
You've got to be kidding me. If someone's specialty is bring thousands of dollars worth of business into your night club every night, they have the potential to make a ton of money.

Most party promoters only make a modest amount, but if you're contracted by an extremely popular or high-end establishment to bring celebrities, athletes or public figures in order to draw enormous crowds that will in turn provide a **** ton of revenue, you're looking at being able to ask a premium price for your services. Not only that, but being a party promoter gives him a ridiculous amount of flexibility in his work, making it easier for him to travel and play paintball.

They're similar to the people that are hired by charities or non-profit organizations that are struggling to find contributors. If you're only asking $10,000 for your services and you can orchestrate an event that raises over $100,000+ for the charity, you're considered to be a bargain :tup:
Old 05-18-2011, 04:47 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA View Post
Lets be fair, Chris did not write the rules for the NPPL, Steve Davidson did. In writing the original rule book with the one for two, one for three rule encouraged what became the mainstay of pro paint ball of the era 'wiping!" No dont get me wrong I love Steve and what he did for the sport in other facets. However in order to be be fair and place the blame where the blame goes you have to look to the founders of the NPPL, Steve Davidson and JB. When ever you make what the average player calls cheating just a penalty, you are advocating its use. IMHO It was the demise of the sport but I know that was not its original intent.
Couple of points:

I "wrote" the rule book, based on what the rules committee voted to have included in the rules at our inaugural meeting.

Caleb Strong was the creator of the 1-for-1 rule.

Prior to 1 for 1s, all we had as a tool to deal with wiping and playing on was penalizing the team by taking points away AFTER THE GAME WAS ALREADY DECIDED.

You tell me - which works better? Taking players off the field DURING a game or taking points away after the cheaters have already won?

1-for-1 affects the possible outcome of the game the "cheaters" are participating in. It potentially fixes things for the team that was cheated against (and does work - won at least two games by simply waiting for the other team to cheat themselves off the field). Points after is nothing but an insult to the team that lost due to cheating. Big deal, the 'cheaters' only got 75 points instead of 100.

That's like giving the super bowl win to a team that cheats and simply taking a field goal away from them AFTER the game. Can you imagine? The official score is a tie on points, but one team wins? because the penalty game after the conclusion?

To say that the 1-for-1 concept institutionalizes what people were already doing I think demonstrates a lack of understanding of the situation.

I'd MUCH prefer to stop the game and assess penalties, but that wasn't in the cards for NPPL. It was at PaintFest 2000 and the USPL patented rules, but that came later. For a non-fixed length, single score opportunity game as it is played now, 1-for-1 is about the fairest thing anyone has come up with.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:07 AM   #28 (permalink)
Post Whore

Loved the history lesson Eric.

I have a Lasoya encounter.
I remember facing Chris once during those dominant years he was on Avalanche.
'Lanche was on a mini SoCal tour practising against a few teams at their home turfs, 10man woodsball back then.
On a whim I unknowingly drove to Conquest where they were setting up to play Fatal Swoop. Swoop only had 9 guys so they asked me to guest.
When the game started I long balled Dan Bonebrake off the break.
The side I was defending was soon getting mowed fast and ugly. Both sides lost bodies but Swoop was down to only a few of us left.
I made a split second decision to throw caution to the wind and swung quickly to the other side to see if I could make a play somewhere else.
Nobody on 'Lanche expected it.
I caught Chris, Rocky, Glenn Forster, and someone else, Weasel I think, with their guard down and eliminated them before they knew it. They never even got to fire back at me in fact.
I made a break for their flag station and their last player Mark Knopff saw me and ran back to head me off. We blazed away taking each other out.
No survivors in the game.
After that game, Chris came over to my truck and introduced himself to me wanting to shake my hand.
He wanted to compliment me and actually asked me how I just did that.
It felt really good to get respect from someone of his playing caliber and I'll never forget that day.
It's said of Chris that when it came to paintball, he did things HIS way or NO way at all.
Please excuse my boasting but I just thought I'd share a humble side of him most don't get to see.

Gilly

Last edited by Gillymonster; 05-18-2011 at 05:10 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:57 AM   #29 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
I know little about any of these guys. Going strickly by what I have seen and read here what it sounds like is that Lasoya is a really competitive guy who lets it get the better of him and makes dick moves from time to time. Just my $.02
I don't so much make money, as provide a conduit for it's movement.
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.

Last edited by Greenmtnphantom; 05-18-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:45 AM   #30 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA View Post
I have never seen him treat a rookie badly he actually backs off and allows kids to take him out.
Except for the rookie at the Pan-event. The one he sent to the hospital?
Chris Lasoya banned from Pan-Am

Also banned from the WPF, and suspended from the NPPL a few times.
By all accounts, a very good player, when all that matters is winning.

That might explain the total collapse of tournament paintball.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
Closed Thread

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News