mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 09:37 AM   #31 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdawg View Post
"get on the ground when Mr. LaSoya says so!"

Seriouly, though, LaSoya was a big shot 10 years ago, but he seems pretty over-rated in today's game.
Chris was an above average player, I sure as hell don't believe he's a "legend", but there are really only a handful of players I'd use that term to describe (myself being one of course, at least a legend in my own mind! :-) ). As far as playing since the early 80's, that's clearly an error.

I remember playing him for the first time at the last Dallas NPPL event when he was on Easy Company, a team Scotty Flint had started pre Avalanche, and Chris was horrible, even with their sideline help pointing out our field positions to them during the game, where if memory serves me correct, we won 8 bodies up.

I will say, he's definitely become full of himself in recent years, but he used to be a decent guy, relatively humble.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:26 AM   #32 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I've known Chris for almost 8 years. There are two distinct people on the "interwebz" who have an opinion of him.

1) People who know him, who have met him, spent time with him on/off the field, shaken his hand, etc.

2) People who have never met him, and only know what they know through the "interwebz"

Everyone jumps down Chris's throat for the "execution video", but do you know why he did what he did? Do you know the history of the player he did that to? No, you are just taking the video at face value and making an assumption.

Chris Lasoya is one of the few paintball players who isn't afraid to "regulate" on the field. If you play him, and he catches you wiping one of his hits, or you spin on him when he bunkers you, he's going to punish you for it.

Paintball in many ways, especially at the tournament level, is like Nascar. I show respect to you, you show respect to me, we have a great time. If I am playing against a team I respect, when I go to bunker them, I'll shoot them in the pack one time and move on. If it's a team that I know wipes, spins, and plays on, any player I bunker is going to need an ice pack and a qtip.

I do regulating every single week at the fields I play at. I carefully watch other players, and when I see someone do something "dirty" to another player on purpose, I'll note it and when I get the chance, my "trigger will bounce" also. Chris does the same thing

And for people who are fussy about him promoting products for companies like Draxxus / Dye / GI Milsim, remember that the next time you go to work and you promote your companies products and collect a paycheck. You aren't doing anything different than he's doing. Selling products to collect a paycheck.

Chris is a good guy, don't let the infinite wisdom of the "interwebz" make up your mind for you.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:36 AM   #33 (permalink)
MCB Member

Epic thread, right here.

MCB Feedback
Old 05-18-2011, 10:49 AM   #34 (permalink)
Moderating in Moderation

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Said it before and I'll say it again

There is no excuse for it, no matter who it is or what they did blah blah blah.

It's unsportsman like conduct, period.

It shows that a person is not in control of themselves, much like a child. A game is not a place to enact revenge, or for players to "regulate" on the field - that's the refs job. Don't like the way someone is playing, tell the ref. They don't do anything, complain to the management and let them know your taking your money elsewhere.
Politically, Socially and Aerodynamically Incorrect
Everything I have ever loved is immoral or illegal
Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur.
stewart potter common sense, elephant and duck tests
Force this into a gaussian distributed parabolic curve!
Old 05-18-2011, 10:50 AM   #35 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool View Post

It shows that a person is not in control of themselves, much like a child. A game is not a place to enact revenge, or for players to "regulate" on the field - that's the refs job. Don't like the way someone is playing, tell the ref. They don't do anything, complain to the management and let them know your taking your money elsewhere.
I don't so much make money, as provide a conduit for it's movement.
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:26 AM   #36 (permalink)
Mar
All nail Drum!

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechPB-Mike View Post
I've known Chris for almost 8 years. There are two distinct people on the "interwebz" who have an opinion of him.

1) People who know him, who have met him, spent time with him on/off the field, shaken his hand, etc.

2) People who have never met him, and only know what they know through the "interwebz"

Everyone jumps down Chris's throat for the "execution video", but do you know why he did what he did? Do you know the history of the player he did that to? No, you are just taking the video at face value and making an assumption.

Chris Lasoya is one of the few paintball players who isn't afraid to "regulate" on the field. If you play him, and he catches you wiping one of his hits, or you spin on him when he bunkers you, he's going to punish you for it.

Paintball in many ways, especially at the tournament level, is like Nascar. I show respect to you, you show respect to me, we have a great time. If I am playing against a team I respect, when I go to bunker them, I'll shoot them in the pack one time and move on. If it's a team that I know wipes, spins, and plays on, any player I bunker is going to need an ice pack and a qtip.

I do regulating every single week at the fields I play at. I carefully watch other players, and when I see someone do something "dirty" to another player on purpose, I'll note it and when I get the chance, my "trigger will bounce" also. Chris does the same thing

And for people who are fussy about him promoting products for companies like Draxxus / Dye / GI Milsim, remember that the next time you go to work and you promote your companies products and collect a paycheck. You aren't doing anything different than he's doing. Selling products to collect a paycheck.

Chris is a good guy, don't let the infinite wisdom of the "interwebz" make up your mind for you.

Mike is right, don't judge Chris by his actions...
Old 05-18-2011, 11:28 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool View Post

All "telling the ref" does is hand you a lost game and threats of further penalties against your team if you don't STFU.

Old School: I played in local, regional and national tournaments from 1984 through 1997 (regularly) and a few every once and a while since.

So far as players taking justice into their own hands on the field, NOTHING has changed since 1984. N.O.T.H.I.N.G.

Some of what Mike said is true: if you give respect, you get it back. Unfortunately, the reality is that usually, in order to get respect, you need to catch the other team while they are disrespecting you and make them eat it. Right? No. Could things be better? Sure - if we had a professional reffing crew.

As it is and always has been, more than likely the refs on the field are friends of the guys you're playing and you've got to beat them as well as the other team if you are going to win.

There really are only two options for a player: either accept the fact that you're going to have to 'regulate' on the field or don't play competitive ball. Any other options are a waste of money and time. Me - I opted to play, even if that meant I was going to have to 'put five into the back of someone's head' to prevent them from spinning on me. And, sad to say, you know what doing that got me after the game? A handshake and a recognition that I 'really' knew how to play the game. (Couple of threats of a fight in the parking lot too, stopped by teammates of the 'offended' party who told him that he got what he deserved.)

It is a very twisted logic, but one ultimately borne out of paintball's refusal/inability to put real referees on the field and to enact real sanctions against deserving players.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:33 AM   #38 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

So glad I never wasted my time and money on tournament paintball. If this is the overall attitude, no wonder there are rampant problems.

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
Old 05-18-2011, 11:38 AM   #39 (permalink)
I Am The Admin

Send a message via AIM to Painthappy

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedavidson View Post
All "telling the ref" does is hand you a lost game and threats of further penalties against your team if you don't STFU.
Quote:
the reality is that usually, in order to get respect, you need to catch the other team while they are disrespecting you and make them eat it. Right?
Quote:
As it is and always has been, more than likely the refs on the field are friends of the guys you're playing and you've got to beat them as well as the other team if you are going to win.
Quote:
Me - I opted to play, even if that meant I was going to have to 'put five into the back of someone's head' to prevent them from spinning on me.

There you have it folks... Everything that is wrong with paintball today all summed up in one post.

The thought that you must regulate a field yourself, not the refs..., the idea that you must shoot someone in the back of the head multiple times, and that you must live with that idea, or get off the field and don't play.

I guess I'm done playing. Shut down the site, I've heard it all.
google.com/+CarterBrown75
Old 05-18-2011, 11:44 AM   #40 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
Quote:
It is a very twisted logic, but one ultimately borne out of paintball's refusal to put real rules and sanctions against deserving players.
Fixed that for you. I don't see how they can't do it, they just won't.

I don't know if it's because they did it when they played or they are worried that it would cause a dip in the bottom line (I believe one that is survivable and would come back stronger)

The fact of the matter is as with any organized sports league, the league should make and enforce the rules, the players and teams follow the rules or go someplace else. As long as the rules and penalties are fair, you will have business. Good, honest players think they can get an fair shake in your league and those are the players and teams you will attract and promote. Same is true on the other side of the coin. League doesn't enforce the rules well or they aren't hard enough to minimize the cheating and the atmosphere becomes that you must cheat to win. Then you get youtube videos on how to wipe and talk about how to hurt people so they are afraid to cheat.

Carter - shut down the site and I'm camping on your porch in protest
I don't so much make money, as provide a conduit for it's movement.
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.

Last edited by Greenmtnphantom; 05-18-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Closed Thread

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News