mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 05-23-2011, 01:14 PM   #21 (permalink)
Limited Paint Play Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird View Post
I hope they realized that they screwed the 5th place team out of a chance to play finals because they could not switch them into 4th after midnight saturday.

Might want to check who you are blaming for that.
Tertiary: 2k2 Blue Shoebox Shocker / 16" .689 CP / 88-4500 Classic Maxflow / BluApache
+ too many ol' Shoebox Shockers for loaners.
VooDooAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #22 (permalink)
suns out guns out

Send a message via AIM to freebird

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooAddict View Post

Might want to check who you are blaming for that.
obviously they didnt earn the spot, but after each team pays 1000$ for 8 prelim games It would have made for a better finals if the NPPL could have switched the team that actually wanted to play and make a full 4 team bracket final round. Its a shame that people start things and then dont finish them.
TEAM CAPTAIN - UPSTATE HATE
HORNETS NEST PAINTBALL
MCB Feedback
AO Feedback

Hillbilly death machine.
Fuel'd by Diesel fuel, Miller High Life, Gunpowder, and Red Meat.
freebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:10 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird View Post
obviously they didnt earn the spot, but after each team pays 1000$ for 8 prelim games It would have made for a better finals if the NPPL could have switched the team that actually wanted to play and make a full 4 team bracket final round. Its a shame that people start things and then dont finish them.

Exactly why he didnt stop the push at legends?

If he was helping the push at bedlam I'm thinking of, it was way more epic than some speedball match. I dont blame the guy.
Jackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:12 PM   #24 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talfuchre View Post
It always saddens me to see the Chicago rosters. There are nearly ZERO California teams there.

It is as if they WON'T Travel.

California has become its own league that plays with Hawaii's leagues now and again - but you have to travel to THEM - not the other way around.

TF
California teams have been traveling since pump tournaments started to get big again ('05, maybe?). Prior to the OSC getting big the Pan Am (GWS/XPSL) was running pump games alongside their events and CA teams traveled to those. Blowfish, Hard Eight, LA Explosion, and several others were at events in AZ, WA, and NV.

Unfortunately, it generally isn't worth it to travel outside of CA for pump tournaments. There needs to be a well established local scene already in place, or at the very least be a vacation destination.

Right around the time of the NSA ('05 or '06), there was an indoor pump event held in the Chicago area. Someone mentioned trying to get Total Greif and some local teams together and called out SoCal to come and play. I believe Flipped Out, Special Ed, and Blowfish answered the call. They flew out there to find 1 local team and a cancelled tournament.

When Kristen made efforts to expand the OSC outside of CA, we supported it. At the first Hawaii event nearly half of the teams were from CA (3 Hard Eight squads, Splat Factory, Yuma Rattlers, Special Ed, LA Hitmen, SoCal Factory, RockyBeaMike, and others). Splat Factory sent a team to the Mexico and AZ events. Vegas almost always pulled a good turnout of teams. LAH traveled to a couple of the NorCal events, which started out decently but seems to have fizzled out. I joined Splat Factory and Yuma Rattlers to play the first OSC STL event. I convinced Sonny to send a LAH squad and got the Brotherhood guys to come out for the second year. Real life happened to several of us and we weren't able to continue to the next season, but GAT Factory did.

The first season of NPPL pump in '08, LAH played 3 of the 4 events. HB and SD were full of teams, but FL was empty. With the increased entry fees and the reduced prize structure, it's no longer worth it to travel to any of the NPPL events outside of LA, SD, or LV. There needs to be 13 teams for first place to break even on entry. Based on the prize structure Total Greif won a grand total of $375 for first place ($1k entry). No prizes, high entry, high travel costs, non-vacation spot, and not enough teams to play against. 2 of those factors need to change if you expect to draw non-local teams. CA does this on a regular basis, so most team budgets get allocated to staying local.
Hard8Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:12 PM   #25 (permalink)
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻)

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackle View Post
Exactly why he didnt stop the push at legends?

If he was helping the push at bedlam I'm thinking of, it was way more epic than some speedball match. I dont blame the guy.
paintball push or not. he shortchanged EVERY other pump team that bought in.
that to me is unacceptable. the other teams bought in and didnt get their games in. this is why the OSC died. this is going to be why nppl pump dies. good job guys
Droop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:20 PM   #26 (permalink)
You know the music...

I've always thought that playing tournaments might be kind of cool. Like it would have been something I would have wanted to do if I lived somewhere they happened. But I read about all the shenanigans that happen at these tournaments and I'm glad that I don't. We all talk about paintball not being taken seriously as a sport, but that's not going to happen until PAINTBALLERS start taking their sport seriously. Adults don't call in to work just because the game they're playing at the moment is more fun, children do. Until we weed out the children... Well, I figure you know the rest. Just my .02, for what it is worth, since I am obviously not a 'tourney player and just some guy on a forum.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:38 PM   #27 (permalink)
suns out guns out

CCM Fan
its funny, because the pump division has never had a major issue since i started playing in it in 2009. Its been kind of a brotherhood as far back as i can remember. Every once and a while you get a team that is a bad apple and, EDIT: im gonna shut up before i say something i shouldn't.
HORNETS NEST PAINTBALL
MCB Feedback
AO Feedback

Hillbilly death machine.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #28 (permalink)
You know the music...

Well, I'm going to have to say that there may have been some event scheduling timing shenanigans, according to MA, that could have contributed to the mess. It may not be -entirely- their fault. Although it is your responsibility to know when you're expected to play, if the officiating staff didn't effectively communicate that's an entirely different problem.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:57 PM   #29 (permalink)
suns out guns out

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmi_17 View Post
if the officiating staff didn't effectively communicate that's an entirely different problem.
every other team was ready.
HORNETS NEST PAINTBALL
MCB Feedback
AO Feedback

Hillbilly death machine.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:14 PM   #30 (permalink)
You know the music...

I like giving people the benefit of the doubt, but that's pretty telling.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News