mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 07-21-2011, 03:23 PM   #91 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounger View Post

Now on to the video.

The worst possible thing for paintball.

Ok we all have to admit we have most of the time a shakey reputation with the public at large, mostly due to the pc anti gun/violence world we live in today. Then add the news stories of Jerk jacks who illegally misuse paintball guns on property and people. Along with the videos these num-nutz shoot and sometimes post on you tube.

Also add to it the lingering fear new players have about getting hurt when hit (which have existed since I started playing back in 86).

Now you have a video that starts by showing players that are new (just look at the guns and gravity hoppers) sneaking around. Then some fake explosions followed by a gun firing like a full auto machine gun (not allowed on 99.9% of fields). Then a player (cyborg, whatever) not wearing a mask (basic paintball 101) continually shooting at players after hit. As if this was not bad enough stepping on the facemask of a player on his back. Then if it can't get any worse one going to the hospital.

We got enough true bad press out there that news reporters, parents, goverment (city, county, state) officials (who already don't like us) and use this against us. Now you have this video.

Now add parents who have not played paintball and only have the misc stories going around about it.

Excuse me if they do not see the "marketing schtick" of it.

Overall product has some limited potential, if built right.

The video, with promoters like this who needs enimas.
I don't buy it. People have said it for years, but it isn't the case. Crap like this video probably sells more people on playing paintball than a world cup tournament on ESPN ever will. It looks fun, for one...
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:24 PM   #92 (permalink)
So say we all!

Send a message via AIM to Drachen Send a message via MSN to Drachen

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpackrat View Post
Actually more like $500 per load out if your doing the full 1200.
Wow, I failed hard at that. But still. Damn spendy lol
Drachen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:04 PM   #93 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachen View Post
Wow, I failed hard at that. But still. Damn spendy lol
Well, that's if your buying them at my local shop for $40 per 100. I'm sure other places are far more expensive.

For a full battery life of say 10,000 paintballs at 30BPS, at about 5.55 minutes of continuous fire, that's about $4000 buying them at the cheapest price I've found, lol.

http://walkons.proboards.com/index.cgi?

FS Custom 13/3000 Tank Covers Paracord $35
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/m...ord-%2435.html
Orpackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:28 PM   #94 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeryzkid22 View Post
How much running and diving do you think people will be doing with this contraption? I wouldn't be suprisedif they came out with a portable bunker as an accessory!
As much running and diving as they'd be doing while using a full podpack and hopper, which weigh about the same?
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:58 PM   #95 (permalink)

I see it as a great thing for tourney ball. Let them duke it out spending $$$ wiping spraying and repeating. I get a case of the *** when I get hit with more than 2 balls anyway. I'll stick to mag fed/pump woodsball.
Rover Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:02 PM   #96 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
I don't buy it. People have said it for years, but it isn't the case. Crap like this video probably sells more people on playing paintball than a world cup tournament on ESPN ever will. It looks fun, for one...
Sell more, maybe to some of the young adrenaline junkies based ONLY on the video maybe. As for us who have played before we are looking at function not hype.

As for not "buying it" I have had the "honor" multiple times of being in front of a village board for paintball fields. Let me tell you the attitude of PC anti-gun crowd is alive and well. This video is plenty of "ammo" (excuse the unintentional pun) to try to kill paintball.

The problem of the video is not some guy/cyborg/ect having a "predator jessie ventura" moment. If it would have stayed that way it would have been ok overall, cheesy but ok.

The problem is shooting people when down, stomping on the head/facemask of a down player and showing someone (NOTE AFTER BEING SHOOT WITH THIS THING) going to the hospital. That last part I guarentee will come back to haunt us.

As for the lack of protective facemask and someone here saying "well they go over this multiple times in begining (of game)". The average Joe pulblic usually does not know this, much less impressionable kids not having played before. It is just bad form and press. The company should have known better. How hard would it have been just to have him wear a protective mask looking like (ex) predator or halo??????

On a sideline note. Teh Dead on the possiblility of pepperballs being crushed same way as paintball.

First I am pepperball certified. The pepperballs are a hard plastic 68 cal ball that is pre fragment points all over it filled with powder. It looks like a small plastic death star (for lack of a better comparison). It tales more force to break it than a Gelatine shell on a paintball. That is why we also use it for its impact value. Trust me you would rather get hit by a regular paintball (even at 300fps) than one of these things on a repeated basis (as in a riot situation). So the backpack falling on it breaking balls internally is VERY remote. Plus the powder (while giving the user problems) would not affect the balistic trajectory of the other rounds much less compromise the shell of other rounds.

Sorry to get off topic, but I thought some would find it interesting.

I just get fustrated at videos like this because we already have a perception problem in major segments of the public at large (weither we want to admit it or not) and I somehow think a PAINTBALL COMPANY would still give the cheesy/gaudy/flashy promotion with common sense of masks (major basic safety issue), showing someone stomping on someones face when down (just bad taste all around) and sending someone to the hospital after being hit by paintballs (what the were they thinking).

In this case bad press can hurt us.

My 1 cent (after taxes)
Scrounger

Last edited by scrounger; 07-21-2011 at 11:08 PM.
scrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:37 PM   #97 (permalink)
post deleting ghost attak

CCM Fan
Not going to get bounces off of there
duff muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:32 AM   #98 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover Lead View Post
I see it as a great thing for tourney ball. Let them duke it out spending $$$ wiping spraying and repeating. I get a case of the *** when I get hit with more than 2 balls anyway. I'll stick to mag fed/pump woodsball.
Personally I don't think you'll ever see this in tournament play... at least not successfully. For one, tourney players don't like hoses that can stick out and get shot. How many remote lines have you seen in tournament play?

Two, simple reliability. A force feed right on top of the gun has a lot less that can go wrong than trying to feed paintballs down a 3 foot long tube.

And three: sharing paint. Believe it or not, 1200 rounds isn't a lot for a back player in a tournament. If you're using one of these and run out of paint, you're boned. Your teammate can toss you a pod but then what are you going to do, take off the backpack, load the pod into, put the pack back on and start shooting again? Or if you need to a toss a pod to a teammate, they're boned too.

In fact, even for scenario, most people I know who covet the "Heavy Gunner" role carry a lot more than 1200 rounds on them. That's only 7ish pods and a hopper. Most of the fire support types I've seen run 10 pods or more with an Ego that can easily get 2000+ out of a 68/4500.

It's a cool idea, and I think it will probably see some success if they can really make a reliable system at that price point, but personally in my increasingly limited open-class semi play, I'd rather use pods and a hopper.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:07 AM   #99 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
I think that it would do better if they had different sizes, a 2000 round one would be nice.
teh dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:26 AM   #100 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh dead View Post
I think that it would do better if they had different sizes, a 2000 round one would be nice.
From the looks of it, it would not be too hard to mod the top of it for a larger capacity.

http://walkons.proboards.com/index.cgi?

FS Custom 13/3000 Tank Covers Paracord $35
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/m...ord-%2435.html
Orpackrat is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News