mcarterbrown.com

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 10-29-2011, 12:28 AM   #51 (permalink)

Thanks for the help guys, this situation is pretty brutal, especially for the fact that our alleged representatives are vigorously ignoring the communities want/ need.

In 27 years of operation we've had nothing but positive feedback and interaction with our neighbors and community, but none of this means much to the politicians. The good news is that it seems like the public shaming we stirred up has made a difference and seemingly some progress is being made. Either way, thanks again for the support.

Please keep the calls coming in, and please take a second to fill out the petition.

Dave Rotunda
Cousins Paintball
Toxic Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:31 AM   #52 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Paintballer50505

Quote:
Originally Posted by collectorandtrader View Post
UPDATE:
Wow- Just read a great post on Connies page. Great points great questions. I need to share it. I really hope Town of Brookhaven is paying attention - Thanks Doug

Douglas Grider Number1. Is this area included in your "General Plan" and if so what is its land use designation? Number 2. When you were considering this property for a "preserve" were there noticed public meeting and was Cousins Paint...ball notified of such meetings? Number3. If a public hearing was held on this issue who should I contact to get the minutes of the public hearings. Number 4. Was there an EIR or other environmental assessment performed Pryor to approving the Preserve? If so I need the name of this document please. Number 5. A governing body has a legal and moral obligation to look at the fiscal and emotion impacts of any proposed change in land use designation and provide mitigation to those effected, telling someone they have to move without providing another location or compensation is frown on by most courts, What mitigation measures did you provide to Cousins and are these documented. Thank you for your time and response.
The EIR, environmental impact report, is a big thing when preserving land, primarily due to the land being wetlands. It doesnt take much to have a site made into wetlands though, they just look for certain kinds of vegetation, and sometimes look at the soil characteristics when they really want to scrutinize the site. I would be interested in seeing the EIR also it is a big bs report, for the most part, but they do clearly mark where the wetlands are on the site, propose a buffer, and it is a legal document that holds water in court.

If a study can be shown and proven to the EPA that paintball does not effect the ground water or harm the primary function of wetlands, having an EIR state that the area is wetlands is a good thing. They cant build on wetlands no matter what, if paintball is not poisoning the wetlands it should be fine to the EPA though they are kind of crazy and very stingy with letting anyone do anything but Cousins is not trying to develop the land so the EPA might be on their side if an EIR is dragged into it. Doing a study on this will have its own costs associated with it though.

Most EIR and EPA stuff is feel good engineering sadly but you would be able to keep them from kicking you off the land if you can prove that the field does not interfere with the preservation of wetlands, unless its not wetlands but I doubt it would be preserved if it was not in that area. An example of bs with the EPA is infiltration ponds, the idea is to let the crap that gets washed up in storm water filter out of the rain water as it recharges the ground water, though the EPA has never tested the water coming into an infiltration pond vs the water coming out, and there are millions of these ponds in America none have been tested if they actually work. If an assessment can be made that paintball is not damaging to the wetlands I cant see a reason why they can evict you besides the rent thing that they are being sketchy about.

Also if you do get evicted I would keep a close eye on the zoning codes and see if the land gets rezoned after you are evicted, it will probably be a couple of years to let people forget about it, and see if it is sold to a developer, that can be made into a lawsuit and can open up a whole can of worms with political corruption.

It seems sketchy to me, my personal opinion is if the town is corrupt they are forcing cousins off the land by making it preserved, then they are going to rechange the zoning (maybe by then doing an EIR that states it is no longer wetland) and sell the land to a developer for more then cousins could have given, they might receive a nice kick back also if the town is anything like Edison NJ.

Theres no me in suck but there is always u
Paintballer50505 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:40 AM   #53 (permalink)
MCB Member

As a member of a 'Conservation Commision' in the People's Republic of Massachusetts, as well as my wife who is a degreed 'Environmental Engineer', we've found that the 'Commision' has little or no teeth. Yes, we can protest development of any type, stating the negative impact of said project, but it usually comes down to tax money. The developer goes before the State, and the State as we all know exisits to perpetuate itself through the confiscation of private income.
Cousins, generates more in taxes to the community and the State that those who conspire against it. Simply remind the State of that fact, and you've won.
THE-SHOOTIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:47 AM   #54 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintballer50505 View Post
Also if you do get evicted I would keep a close eye on the zoning codes and see if the land gets rezoned after you are evicted, it will probably be a couple of years to let people forget about it, and see if it is sold to a developer, that can be made into a lawsuit and can open up a whole can of worms with political corruption.

It seems sketchy to me, my personal opinion is if the town is corrupt they are forcing cousins off the land by making it preserved, then they are going to rechange the zoning (maybe by then doing an EIR that states it is no longer wetland) and sell the land to a developer for more then cousins could have given, they might receive a nice kick back also if the town is anything like Edison NJ.
this happens on long island on a remarkably frequent basis. Has happened to multiple hunting clubs, gun clubs, and other private land groups that I know of. They seem to have a "Ist not yours, we just let you use it till we can make better money on it" mindset.

That is Canada, Simba. You must never go there
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~FinSec
Always remember, If it has tits or tires, its going to give you trouble.

my feedback
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
lukster14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:59 AM   #55 (permalink)

karma is a bitch. Best regards from PSI.

www.cigarrights.org: the rights of cigar smokers are more under attack than ever, defend them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldSkool View Post
Why do you always have to be a douche
10-shot kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:28 AM   #56 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to BigOldSkool

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-shot kid View Post
Why do you always have to be a douche?

If cousins closes its going to affect the majority of paintball on long island.... and oh.. a few thousand players.

RIP - Ed "BigDaddy" Roth and "Indian" Larry
Wild Geese - Coney Isand White Fish - ECA
BOS's Feedback!
What Serial Number Is Your Cocker? WTB
ECAP - "Making players dreams other players nightmares"
COUSINS PAINTBALL
BigOldSkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:35 AM   #57 (permalink)

I always saw myself as more of a SOB personally. Same effect if they had shut down my home field like they tried so hard to do.

EDIT:

after they got the boot cause, oh yeah, they didn't pay the bloody rent to Jerry.

www.cigarrights.org: the rights of cigar smokers are more under attack than ever, defend them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldSkool View Post
Why do you always have to be a douche
10-shot kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:58 AM   #58 (permalink)

What I don't get is how long has Cousins Paintball been around? And this has just now become an issue? Give me a break. The Judge or whomever should take that into consideration.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:25 PM   #59 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
I always saw myself as more of a SOB personally. Same effect if they had shut down my home field like they tried so hard to do.

EDIT:

after they got the boot cause, oh yeah, they didn't pay the bloody rent to Jerry.
not sure if ur talkign about this case or not, but i do believe Cousins was paying rent. It just wasnt being accepted and was sent back to them
-=ArchAngel=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:07 AM   #60 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
I wish you would actually write out the story you are referencing. Not everyone is aware of the history between Cousin's and the Survival NY field.

This is a clear case where even if you dislike the owners you have to side with them because closing a field in such a fashion is very bad.
Even if they are guilty of the same in the past (not sure, I actually don't know the full story) it's not about them, but about a potentially bad precedent.

Last edited by Tenet; 10-31-2011 at 01:35 AM.
Tenet is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News