mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 01-10-2012, 04:19 AM   #131 (permalink)
pump snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
There's some very odd physics going on here.
I use stock 2K wgp pump kits and stock 2K wgp pump return springs. I also use heavy aluminum Belsales venturi bolts which may contribute to the results by restricting the air flow (as compared to openface).

Looking at the conservation of energy.
>> "not holding" (in certain situations) maintains (or even slightly increases) velocity
>> "not holding" uses extra energy to push the bolt backwards against the pump return spring
>> that extra energy has to come from somewhere in order to maintain velocity.

I say paintballs are like water balloons. They deform during initial acceleration and then regain their shape.

I theorize the extra energy comes from a reduction in the initial drag on the ball in the barrel as some of the energy from the pulse wave is used to drive the bolt backwards... kind of like a shock absorber does as you hit a speed bump to help keep your head from hitting the roof - thus minimizing initial deformation (drag). In effect "not holding" clips the amplitude and elongates the period of the energy pulse wave - creating smoother acceleration for the ball.

and thus the reduced the report.

Ive also noticed that my "long ball" shots seem much more on target when I don't hold the pump handle - contributing to my theory on ball deformation. (a less deformed ball flies straighter at distance)..

We are a hair off topic but...
For the engineers out there that just got a woody... here is some oldschool magic mojo I'll share:

My old friend Grendel and I messed around with JAM bolts for a long time trying to achieve these same results while holding the pump handle forward - creating a silencer bolt... and it works, kind of. I think the open face on the JAM bolts kind of ruins it. You can also run into double feeding problems if you make the spring too light.

What would happen to the report on a Sniper II running a LARGE HEAVY Belsales styled venturi bolt with an internal spring powered piston shock absorber that could be adjusted to clip to the top off of the pulse wave?..

What effect would altering the bolt spring have on the velocity and the report and flight characteristics at range?

(If anyone wants to try building this PM me)

And do pumpkins deform?

Last edited by thumper; 01-10-2012 at 04:46 AM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #132 (permalink)
That Colorado Pump Guy

CCM Fan
Just got this beast in the mail today I really missed my J2L that I sold to pay for my S6.5 and when I saw this one and snagged it for dirt cheap I couldn't say no!

Also at the price it didn't come with a barrel but I paired it with this beast of a barrel and its an effing tack driver!!! .681 is by far the perfect size for pump gun barrels. Its deadly accurate and has a really unique sound to it also! I will be doing a review on it here shortly for those who want more info

Also I ran about 250 Ultra Evil balls through it with zero breaks, than I put another 65 or so that I had left and purposely tried to get a barrel break and I finally clipped a ball outshooting my Revvy. I wanted to see how hard it was to clean, and with one swipe of a clean swab, it looked like brand new! I love how accurate this thing is and how it makes the gun sound. Its more of a dm sounding swoosh from a pump. The best part is when your out of paint or skip a shot, its pretty damn quiet and not loud as all hell like my DW when I skip a shot. I will put up a thorough review after a couple days of heavy testing, but for right now I have nothing but great things to say about this thing! I am blown away by the price and the quality of barrel. Lapco hit a home-run with this thing!
colorado719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:41 AM   #133 (permalink)
pump snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado719 View Post
.. and its an effing tack driver!!! .681 is by far the perfect size for pump gun barrels. Its deadly accurate and has a really unique sound to it also! I will be doing a review on it here shortly for those who want more info .. Also I ran about 250 Ultra Evil balls through it with zero breaks...
what kind of paint were you shooting? just the ultra evil?

(btw: as I was testing my tightstick I kept thinking evil might just be the perfect match for this thing - something a hair on the tiny side)
Old 01-13-2012, 12:00 PM   #134 (permalink)
That Colorado Pump Guy

CCM Fan
I shot the highest quality evil and than the bulk of it was leftover Valken zing footballs that I wanted to get rid of. Funny thing was I couldn't tell much of a difference in accuracy, the only difference was that evil broke and the zing bounced like crazy. But I will post up more results after I put a ton of different paint through it
colorado719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:26 PM   #135 (permalink)

Hi guys, just checking in, how do you like the barrel? Thinking of ordering one
gospeedgo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #136 (permalink)
The Shadow knows!

CCM Fan
Palmers Fan
Just got a matte Tightstick 2 days ago and have shot about 80 rds through it and here are my initial impressions: Initial shooting done with a CCM T2

Sound signature is louder than my 14" Deadlywind and Dye Ultralite 14" that I've had SSC freak bore. It definitely has a distinct sound. To me it has a slight metal twangy popping signature compared to the other 2 listed above, but could be because of the paint size I was shooting.

Paint I was shooting ( all I have currently ) was RPS Marbs which in my area average in the .679 -81 area. So, at .681 ID, it definitely was not underboring. No rollouts on the barrel, the seams were definitely touching the sides of the barrel and I could see light around the rest of the ball. With a blow test the paint was coming out fine with a fairly good thwap into the hand.

Chronoed pretty consistent +/- 6 with the occasional higher velocity +10. Shot a little less accurate than the Deadlywind and the DYE UL.

Looks, lines, finish are all what you would expect from Lapco --- excellent! The anno on the inside of the barrel is very slick to perfection.

Bottom line for me is I wouldn't hesitate shooting this barrel all the time, which I think I will until the newness wears off. I'm hoping when I get some paint to match the ID better to truly be able to under bore, the consistency will get even better and the sound signature goes down some.
Ninjamitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:15 PM   #137 (permalink)
Hesperia,ca

Freak bored

Can this be freak bored
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loguzzzzzz View Post
Every hole costs money

http://www.automags.org/forums/showt...errerid=144073
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
http://www.pbnation.com/feedback.php?u=577553
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...val=0&items=50
Vertebrae autococker
http://youtu.be/Ybf2u4dAQlg
river031403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:24 PM   #138 (permalink)
woowwwww

May have pick one of these up.looking for a new barrel.
NDomipolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #139 (permalink)

I figured I would bump this thread to see what people's opinions of the barrel are now that they have had them for a while.
gospeedgo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #140 (permalink)
pump snob

I still keep three in my bag.. 12"x .679 otp, 12"x.682 kaner, 14"x.681tightstick.. and the paint ive been shooting lately seems to prefer the otp. draxus something or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gospeedgo1 View Post
I figured I would bump this thread to see what people's opinions of the barrel are now that they have had them for a while.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News