mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 04-30-2012, 12:23 AM   #71 (permalink)
Keep Calm & Kick ***

Kilt Fan
Yeah they're on hold, RAP4 did an update shortly after expo, apparently RAP4 doesn't have a patent lawyer on staff (just a trade lawyer lol) because Carmatech has a Patent Pending on the D-Mag design already. It's possible this project could be killed entirely unless Carmatech wants to make some cash on the side and either license the patent or produce the D-Mag for RAP4. Either way, don't hold your breath.
Keep Calm & Kick A**
Steed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:20 AM   #72 (permalink)
Rec Poster

i dont know how durable that "mirrored snap together" bottom is going to be, i wouldnt drop them on rocks or concrete any time soon....
paycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:02 AM   #73 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycho View Post
i dont know how durable that "mirrored snap together" bottom is going to be, i wouldnt drop them on rocks or concrete any time soon....
thats why they are called d-mags AKA drop-able mags so its cheap to replace or fix.

PBN Feedback
paintman161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:19 AM   #74 (permalink)
Mind Your Manners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steed View Post
Carmatech has a Patent Pending on the D-Mag design already
Wait what
Mike Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:36 AM   #75 (permalink)
Post Whore

Carmatech dosnt have a patent pending specifically on the D-mag design, they have a patent pending on a DUAL stack design.
-=ArchAngel=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #76 (permalink)
when in doubt EBD

whatever. I would love to play mag fed but they have to get he price of the mags down to be reasonable enough that i wont cry if i lose one or two every now and then.

914 Dogs of War (Major)

Aztec Warriors scenario team Texas
Member of Land Sharks

I do home lending in Texas. Need a house let me know if nothing else its free advice.
seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #77 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by seal View Post
whatever. I would love to play mag fed but they have to get he price of the mags down to be reasonable enough that i wont cry if i lose one or two every now and then.
Five bucks a pop isn't low enough? That's what the D-mags are being hyped up at. I guess we will see if they have to come to a royalty agreement. If I can get a FS shooting mag-fed semi for ~$250, I will be all over it. If it's the $1k that Carmatech wants, I'm out. Depending on how many others are like this, but more on the fence, Carmatech might block RAP4 in an effort to squeeze out a few more sales. I guess we'll see.

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #78 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Here's the root of the problem as I see it. All of the companies behind the newer First Strike feeding markers are shooting for over-complicated (and in one case, patent-pending) designs that may not be easily copied and produced for cheaper.

The only exception to this is CCM as they gave up on mag fed in order to get the product on the shelf in a reasonable amount of time in order to lesson the production impact on their bread and butter products. This is the smartest move in my opinion as they can then work on perfecting the magwell and mag design, without having to redesign the operating system.

Tiberius has the simplest mag design and I've not had more than 300rds through it without a breech break (I'm averaging at least one break in one hundred). I fault the use of a plastic mag well and plastic mag release to align a metal mag to the metal breech. In order to keep the rounds properly aligned, the mag must seat squarely and firmly against the breach. I'm not certain of the relationship but, I did get a reduction in breach breaks (from 2-3/100) when I switched to a LAPCO mag release.

Tiberius overburdened their design by incorporating the 12g and pierce/check valve so now, folks wanting a low-cost, airless mag for their 9.1/8.1 markers are stuck waiting for a new design (which likely won't happen anytime soon since paintball is a low priority for Tiberius Arms).
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #79 (permalink)
Post Whore

Right but the issue im having with ccm is its only fs COMPATABLE. And single shot might as well get a trracer than. Just saying. Sorry to be off topic. So far all the fs guns just keep missing the mark as farbasbmy taste anyways
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #80 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
Right but the issue im having with ccm is its only fs COMPATABLE....
Actually, not true. They've actually produced a video of the prototype shooting regular paintballs, and it was designed, from the ground up to fire FS rounds- vice putting a "D"-shaped opening in the breech.

The single shot issue is simply due to the lack of demand as compared to their existing product offerings. If they were getting a clear, and large demand for an FS marker (again, as compared to their other products), they would've probably invested more time into developing a working feed (the earliest prototypes were mag-fed).
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News