mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 04-11-2012, 07:27 PM   #21 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by **Entropy** View Post
Last I talked to Rene he didn't seem to enthusiastic about Valken taking over his publication. I'll have to give him a call and see what transpired. Rene is one of the true legends of the sport, one of the nicest guys you'll meet.
Rene was my left winger and a good friend on the Reapers. I hope he got retirement money for it.
Love to you and Juvy from Fred Narley.
THE-SHOOTIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:58 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaccen View Post
Rumour has it that they're buying Mokal next.

Take with a bag of salt.
Sounds good to me, leaves us and Dukie as the only remaining Canadian-owned marker manufacturers, far as I know

His products are pretty boring otherwise I'd be concerned about the loss.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:44 AM   #23 (permalink)
A Pirate's Life for Me

CCM Fan
I stopped reading paintball mags years ago. I don't even bother opening one up if it's laying around. There's just nothing interesting in them.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:50 AM   #24 (permalink)
Post Whore

this just prove how far this game has come along and then peaked. we should be great full for years where paintball was on huge high where it make affordable to go out and play and not cost like around 92 to 93 where case of paint was like 120$ for 2000 rounds it was nice to see paint go down to 40 to 60 dollars for paint base on grade you bought. but like all other things it will peak and it will downsize. it will come back and we have more company's pit there. but we have enjoy the things from past and look forward to see what comes next. at least some buying up these company's so we can still get there stuff or have magazine to read down then line then see all them go away for good.
chrislognshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:52 AM   #25 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDragonX View Post
I stopped reading paintball mags years ago. I don't even bother opening one up if it's laying around. There's just nothing interesting in them.
Let's face it, how much is there to write about when it comes to a relatively simple game of paintball?

There are always reviews, but I stopped getting excited about reviews of different events and even gear years ago. Besides, you can get reviews in a more timely fashion on line, plus, you can search and get a review of what you are interested in, not what the magazine happened to want to review this month.

In other professional sports, there are always articles about the latest players doing well, but who wants to read about paintball players? Unless you happen to be a wannabe tournament pro, chances are you're not going to get too excited reading about the shenanigans of the latest greatest paintball 'pro".

For years paintball magazines relied on the steady stream of new players, each wanting to learn lots of stuff about their new found hobby. But that wave has slowed down. Combine that with the abundance of information available on the internet, a paintball magazine is just not a viable venture in this day and age.

I have a feeling this will just end up being a glorified marketing package for Valken towards new players.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #26 (permalink)
Post Whore

Sadly the printed media is a dieing delivery method. This becomes more and more prevalent with the increase in prices. Who wants to pay $8.95 for something they can get for free online.

Now I am an old fashioned guy and I like to hold the paper and read it that way. It also lets me go back and review it easily which archives are terrible online for many magazines. Now if you could download the whole content to save for later that would be great.

Bias could come into play but does not have to. They are in the business to make money and selling advertising space is a means to do so. And if they sell it to themselves then they aren't making any money from it.
Brother Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

yeah, i don't get why they're buying a dying industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Jerry View Post
Now if you could download the whole content to save for later that would be great.
you mean download the page? your browser should be able to do that already.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:06 PM   #28 (permalink)
MCB Member

For the same reason the owners of Paintball Sports International bought out Paint Check.

To eliminate your competition.
THE-SHOOTIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #29 (permalink)
Post Whore

Most magazines stores and fields combine paintball and airsoft. Isnt it a testiment to how irrelevant printed news is that im reading news about the printed news from the news section of mcb on my samsung nexus while at work and i didnt pay a dime for it? Most magazines are a joke anyways i buy them to look at the pictures while sitting on the comode. The last facefull i read was mostly just bips on speedball "pros" who i honestly gave a crap about.....into said comode.

However the good thing about printed news is exposure. The problem with digital news is u have to purposefully go to the website whereas magazines can be accidently picked up and browsed through. I miss when i had.not one but three magazines choose from and all on the wracks at my local 7-11...right next to hustler and playboy
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Last edited by Keebler; 04-13-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:43 PM   #30 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I like magazines. Gives me something tangible to go back and read at a later date. Barring a lame magazine, I'd subscribe
T-MAC is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News