mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 05-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
meatballs

I'm not entropy, but the only hoppers that is as good/better than smartguide IMHO is Z2 (if you aren't unlucky) or Rotor with RtR Seed kit.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
Run with siccors!!

Send a message via Skype™ to Darth

I played reball at a local field with 6ish year old reballs all winter. They have seen a life as fodder in a rental fleet of tippmann 98s and 68 specials. I have had no issues with using a Pinocchio all winter. No jam issues, just saying, and overall I would rather save the extra 50 dollars and get a Pinocchio.

2011 D-Day Allied CEF CanScot
2012 D-Day Allied CEF Baker Coy.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
meatballs

I never tried a Pinocchio but I heard they were good with reballs too. There is a VL model, with the rotor running all the time that works just fine too.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
First off, xeonpb has some really great customer service. I got this response back from him:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeonpb
The product Smartguide is designed so you donīt need any electronics which control torque (Feed stack/Ball stack monitoring) or anti jam.

Smartguide have this inbuilt and that is the new invention. A system that only transfer a limited torque before it reverse the drive cone and then push again. By doing this you save battery, circuit board, motor because the ampere never get high.

(ampere = torque = how hard the drive cone push)

The system is also way faster than other hoppers with electronic unjam as their electronics must detect a jam and than reverse the motor, stop the motor and than push again.

With Smartguide the motor never stops as long you is shooting. The motor always rotate in the same direction. And the drive cone anti jam three times on each turn the drive shaft rotate if there is a jam or the ball stack is full.

About circuit board. To me it looks like you know more about different systems. But you donīt need RF or any board with anti jam system. A board with speed settings (1-6) and sound setting (1-6) is best. Ball stack monitoring is not importent but on the other hand itīs not wrong to have.
For Canucks, he said that paintballgear.ca will be getting them.

From his description, it's almost like it's the hopper equivalent of a Level 10 bolt (ie. a mechanical jam detection that backs off to prevent a break). I might be a bit liberal with that comparison, but it's what it reminds me of.

It also seems similar to the Magna (ie. it only applies a set amount of torque). The difference seems to be while the Magna would "slip" by, this bounces back in an attempt to unjam. Very cool.

Jaccen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:10 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by broder View Post
What they did with some of them was installing a "6-pack" of batteries instead of four. It may help, but I'm doing perfect with only four.

How often do they jam? Which hoppers do you use? IF you have Halo Too's, have you removed the black plastic disc?

EDIT: And which brands of reballs do you use? I dont know if there is any differnce, but we only use the original reballs, and A-balls.
I'll try the 6-pack, although im pretty sure we were using a 6 pack. I'm not sure which version of the Empire B we placed it in but it was an Empire B not a Halo Too. We were jamming often enough to make the hopper impractical. As for brands. As I said we have 6 major brands, I have not singled out each one yet but our largest quantity of balls are Z-balls, which admittedly are softer than A-balls and Re-balls which we also have access too.

Because we're not finished testing the product let me say that I'll try and put video together of each brand. I'll verify the batteries are new, and if all else fails I will through it in another Halo to rule that out as well.

Tradeout Paintball LLC
**Entropy** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:15 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaccen View Post
@ **Entropy**

If SmartGuide is "in the middle" for reballs in your experience so far, what are the low and high loaders on that list currently? Thanks.
Non force fed loaders seem to outperform all others. In particular the VL Evolution3's, and Z2 loaders have been the best. We are also having some luck with Pinokio's and V-max loaders (there relatively high paddles tend to bind up), One modified V-max that we use that has a flat cone seems to run well and is unable to jam by design. I think we (field owner and myself) spend entirely too much time trying to come up with ways to get them to feed flawlessly. I have a modified rotor as well that when it feeds, feeds lighting fast but it either wants to feed the whole hopper or stop right away.

Tradeout Paintball LLC
Old 05-25-2012, 08:17 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaccen View Post
First off, xeonpb has some really great customer service.
Awesome customer service and let me just thank them publicly for getting one of these too our field so we can test it.

Tradeout Paintball LLC
Old 05-25-2012, 11:06 AM   #18 (permalink)

We have some plastic parts which have issue from production. See picture below. It's easy to correct by using a knife and cut away the extra plastic. You see and feel it if you follow the outside edge on the bottom rotor. This maybe can explain why some have issue.

The plastic pieces must also be loose on the drive shaft and shall not be clamped by the screw. If Smartguide is clamped by the screw will it not function as intended. Whatch the assembly video on the XeonPB webpage if you have this issue.

We have also designed a drive shaft to avoid wrong assembly. The drive shaft also improve the Smartguide function. When we have them in stock will I send this to "entropy" if he want to give the upgrade a chance again.

I do not have the same experiance as "entropy" has sort the different loaders for function with reball. Hopefully can we get higher on his list when he recieve the new drive shaft.

Last edited by XeonPB; 05-25-2012 at 11:37 AM.
XeonPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:32 PM   #19 (permalink)
Sadist

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Kilt Fan
I would be interested in one of these drive shafts. How much will they be when they are available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird View Post
lube the shaft and warm the o-ring up in your hand by rubbing it back and forth between hands. then it should go on easier.
TheePsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:04 AM   #20 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Being a MN boy, I've gotta reball in the winter so I'll be staying tuned to this for sure!

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News