mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 05-23-2012, 09:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
XeonPB's SmartGuide For Halo

I didn't see a post, so here we go.

Quote:
Smartguide is designed for HALO, RELOADER B1 & B2 , MAGNA , HALO TOO. It is a loader upgrade. You just exchange orginal rotor assembly to Smartguide.

Smart Guide is designed primarily to provide a cheap alternative and still upgrade your loader to be one of the best all-round loader in the market.

Main benefit is considerably longer battery life, inbuilt anti jam function. With Smartguide TL (new drive shaft) itīs a Tool Less assembly.
Quote:
The Smartguide is extremely easy on paint and reduces your chance of breaking paint. No electronic sensors needed to detect a jam. This new technology has both antijam function and limited pressure on the balls embedded in the same solution. This also protect the paintballs from being deformed when they push against each other.
Smartguide description | Xeon Paintball AB

Youtube channel:
xeonpb - YouTube

Thoughts on it? Looks like it's almost a spinning freeway with clutch technology like the Magna.

Their threads from the 'nation:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...135&highlight=
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...514&highlight=
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...815&highlight=

Simon's take on it would be interesting.

Last edited by Jaccen; 05-23-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Jaccen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
ophthalmotropic

CCM Fan
I saw one of these earlier in the year at NHIP. It didn't help that much feeding the used reballs they had there.
http://i.imgur.com/hZGzo.png
grimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
Did you get a chance to see how they worked with actual paintballs? The product seems interesting. There's just not a lot of first hand experience it seems.

Cheers.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

My issue with Halo's was never how well it worked, all the Halo's I've owned have worked flawlessly. My biggest grip was the height of the shell. It sits up on the gun really high.

Incorporate this into a new shell and I think it'd be awesome.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
meatballs

We use it all the time at our reball field, with Reloader B or Invert Halo TOO. All the loaders that didnt work with reballs before now works. Might sound like bs but its actually true.

The magic "rotor clutch". Its a complex design, can't explain it so good in English but basicly, when a jam occurs, the rotor reverses and clears the jam. If there is too much pressure, it keeps anti-jamming freely without crushing the paintballs, similar to magna.

That probably made no sense

I do know it works for me atleast. My Halo Too didnt feed so well before Smartguide, sometimes I had too put down my finger too unjam, but now it never jams except for low battery.

Which loader did the person have grimace? You can get problems if you dont install them correctly, for example, you have to remove the black disc under the original rotor in the Halo Too.

Feel free to ask me any questions, I think I could help with most problems you have.

And a fun fact, the guy who invented Smartguide also invented the Dye Rotor!

EDIT: And this is almost purely a reball upgrade, I haven't noticed a difference with paint, the Halo Too works flawlessly with paint.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
ophthalmotropic

CCM Fan
I've pointed the guys that were actually testing the thing to this thread. My interest was limited because I no longer own a halo.
http://i.imgur.com/hZGzo.png
grimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
Size comparisons:
Prophecy, Halo B, Magna, Rotor and VLocity Loader Comparison - YouTube

If you're concerned about height, then a Velocity really is a "no no."

I think this product is interesting in that it could give your old, back-up loader a shot in the arm. Halo's go pretty cheap now. If you could up the performance a bit, you could have a pretty good bang-for-buck loader.

A Magna with this unjam would, on paper, give you all the features of a Z2 (ie. RF, sound activation, motor tension monitoring, high rate of fire, auto unjam, good for reballs/tourney paint, plenty of replacement parts) except physical profile, tool-less disassembly, # of batteries, and likely weight. To some, that may be huge. To others, getting all that at less than 1/2 the price would be worth an extra 1/2" on top, bringing a Philips to the staging area, and buying 2 extra batteries. Heck, what with all the standard Halo parts (ie. speedfeeds, motors, eyes, different circuit boards, etc.) floating around they might actually prefer it.

EDIT:

Thanks for chiming in. Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broder
EDIT: And this is almost purely a reball upgrade, I haven't noticed a difference with paint, the Halo Too works flawlessly with paint.
Ah, so there was no difference in paint loading you've found? Pity. I thought it would really help prevent jams.

Last edited by Jaccen; 05-23-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

I'll post up some videos in the next week. We are not having nearly as much luck with this product as I had hoped. Allot of the issues surrounding re-balls have to do with how used and clean the rounds are. Our field is probably a good test site because we've been using the same rounds for so long, and we have 6 different brands we can run through the hopper to test.

The issue I see for reballs is that many loaders work reasonably well when the rounds and new and clean. Once the rounds get older their surface starts to soften and they stop working in virtually every loader (bigger issue with force feeds). The issue becomes practicality, whats needed is a loader that will work well even when the rounds are relatively dirty and old. This product thus far fits somewhere in the middle for us.

Thats not to say its not a great product. I love the idea of it and our testing is not complete thus far so I hesitate to give a full account but I'll be happy to share some photos and videos shortly.

*edit* just a thought I should give everyone an idea of our usage. We are a reball field running 7 days a week, we shoot aprox 150,000 rounds 3-10 times a day through the winter, slightly less in the summer. So our rounds get allot of use.

Tradeout Paintball LLC
**Entropy** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
meatballs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaccen View Post
Ah, so there was no difference in paint loading you've found? Pity. I thought it would really help prevent jams.
The thing is, I didnt have jams with paint before, so I cant really comment on that.

@**Entropy**

Interesting, I play at the biggest reball field in Sweden and they dont have clean reballs. They have 8 loaner reloader B with smart guide installed and none of them have a feeding issue. What they did with some of them was installing a "6-pack" of batteries instead of four. It may help, but I'm doing perfect with only four.

How often do they jam? Which hoppers do you use? IF you have Halo Too's, have you removed the black plastic disc?

EDIT: And which brands of reballs do you use? I dont know if there is any differnce, but we only use the original reballs, and A-balls.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
@ **Entropy**

If SmartGuide is "in the middle" for reballs in your experience so far, what are the low and high loaders on that list currently? Thanks.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News