mcarterbrown.com

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 06-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #21 (permalink)
Sadist

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Kilt Fan
Throw this in a delrin case or something and it would make an awesome camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird View Post
lube the shaft and warm the o-ring up in your hand by rubbing it back and forth between hands. then it should go on easier.
TheePsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #22 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav12 View Post
it has a higher MP than the GP, but how's the framerate compare? 30 fps sounds a bit low.
GoPro does 30fps at 1080, or 60fps at 720.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #23 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav12 View Post
30 fps sounds a bit low.
Compared to what? When you went to the movies as a kid (and up until the recent use of digital projectors) they ran the film at 24 frames per second.

For your edification:

Frame rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If this is 30 fps based on true film speed rather than process speed, and you aren't looking to analyze frame by frame for still image capture, then 30 fps for watching youtube videos is plenty fine.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:29 PM   #24 (permalink)
Stange, but not a stanger

Fan of EMR
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
it's really too bad that the lens is not separate from the board...
Seems to me it would be a simple operation to remove the lens from the board, build a nice extension cable for it, and then re-attach.

Feedback

www.zombieshoot.com
tarakian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #25 (permalink)
no, I'M sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarakian View Post
Seems to me it would be a simple operation to remove the lens from the board, build a nice extension cable for it, and then re-attach.
part in bold would not be so simple depending on how the camera is built. something on that small scale is rather difficult for an average joe to jerry rig. i know because i've tried gutting out an old camcorder's lens module before. it was even conveniently plugged to the main board by a ribbon cable, but alas it's just too tiny.

pile of poo, HARD MODE, automag pistol---S.P.E.W.II---What if this hurts me?---No, I'M sorry.---Semiautomatic Nelspot 007!---Decay of Nations 4
Camp Pendleton meetup 2010---Watch me fail at pump!---Clareball 2010 vid!---MCB Stock Class Meet!---HELMETCAM!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcandy1993 View Post
Before the first day Velcor said let there be Heinous and it was true. And then Heinous said "Let there be God" and it was true. And it was good
heinous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:44 PM   #26 (permalink)
depot damager

Also by making an extension, you can greatly influence image quality and even camera functionality.

MCB feedback
AGD feedback
anomoly40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:51 PM   #27 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

I like this project; video quality is very sharp -- you might be able to out-Gopro Gopro (at least the HERO1).

However, the worst thing about the Gopro is the form factor, which you have seemingly replicated. So everybody is back to square one scratching their heads and wondering how to mount the thing.

Which direction is even "up" on the imager? Is that configurable considering it's a 9MP sensor?

Speaking of configurability... being able to program the thing for different applications might be nice.

One of my peeves with the Gopro is the lack of programmability, even though I'm certain that the hardware underneath is very capable. If it can't be reprogrammed to do simple things like an intervalometer or continuous-recording-mode-with-event-save type stuff... might be a tough sell. Sure, the intervalometer could be external... but that's more crap to buy and wire up when the hardware should be perfectly capable of doing it. Probably not applicable to paintball, but more for other applications.
Logic and reason are anathema to him; but this does not deter him from prattling on.
He is the most interesting player in the world.
GoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #28 (permalink)
Stange, but not a stanger

Fan of EMR
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
part in bold would not be so simple depending on how the camera is built. something on that small scale is rather difficult for an average joe to jerry rig. i know because i've tried gutting out an old camcorder's lens module before. it was even conveniently plugged to the main board by a ribbon cable, but alas it's just too tiny.
Luckily, my name is not Joe and I am far from average. Oh, and I work for a cable manufacturer.

Feedback

www.zombieshoot.com
tarakian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #29 (permalink)
MCB Member

One of the nice things about the OP camera is that it is H.264 which means that dropped frames are minimal. I do not like the fish eye lens on it though...always hated that look.

The other camera had the vid quality of several of the key chain cameras out there. And the darker earth colors get turned to purple. A great reviewer of these cameras is at Techmoan - YouTube

But found a sample video here:

Testing out the HackHD 1080P HD camera board - YouTube
Brother Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #30 (permalink)
meatballs

Y3000 - The smallest 720p Camcorder in the World

What about this one?

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News