mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 06-23-2012, 04:21 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTexan View Post
Biggest issue for me on this camera is cost. $140 plus if I plan to use it for paintball I'll be needing to buy a Gopro case which is $40 so I'm looking at $180, plus I'll probably need some mounts for either my marker or mask which will cost me about $20 for the basics ones. So I'm already up $200, not to mention I'll still need a memory card. A gopro hero with several mounts and a case retails $240. If I did a little searching I'm sure I could find it on amazon or some other website for about $220. So we are looking at a $20 difference to get a gopro vs a hackhd. In my opinion for $20 more I would definitely take a Gopro. All the problems have been worked out. All in all if the price of Hackhd was a little cheaper then what its posted at ($130), I would buy it. Me personally I would still take an 808 camera right now. An 808 camera goes for $38. You can make a case out of a tick tac box for $2, or mount it inside a mask by doing the 90 degree mod. Get some .67 or 180 degree wide lens for $5-10and you've almost got the same fov as a gopro (not quite but almost) and you've only spent around $50 in all (excluding the micro sd) and you have decent hd 720 quality. Here are a couple comparisons below I found on youtube (BTW I think 808 quality is comparable to all the other high end camera's out right now):
The GoPro actual retails for $299.95 and the cheapest you will find it on eBay / Amazon is $255/$260 right now.

I really want some of you guys to try this camera out, you seem to really know your stuff and I would love some reviews and suggestions. I am willing to offer these to anyone reading this at $120 shipped or $110 without any of the accessories (if you already have your own battery, switch, led, microSD, etc). Will add a couple PayPal buttons shortly.

HackHD with install kit - $120 shipped

HackHD PCB only - $110 shipped

Last edited by hackhd; 06-23-2012 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Added PayPal buttons
hackhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:31 PM   #42 (permalink)

Also added to PayPal buttons to signature
Old 06-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #43 (permalink)
Sadist

CCM Fan
Kilt Club
I'll pick one up next week when I'm back from vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird View Post
lube the shaft and warm the o-ring up in your hand by rubbing it back and forth between hands. then it should go on easier.
TheePsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:22 AM   #44 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatBoy View Post
So what's stopping you? Where are your videos?
Already got an 808 camera. I've got plenty of footage from rc flying and paintball but not really any compiled into videos except this one which is ok.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk2G5aMrU78&feature=plcp

I'm a budget baller. This gets the job done for me right now until I get some $$$ to upgrade to a nicer cam.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."
-Vince Lombardi

Here's my feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Last edited by TrueTexan; 06-24-2012 at 01:30 AM.
TrueTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:27 AM   #45 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackhd View Post
The GoPro actual retails for $299.95 and the cheapest you will find it on eBay / Amazon is $255/$260 right now.

I really want some of you guys to try this camera out, you seem to really know your stuff and I would love some reviews and suggestions. I am willing to offer these to anyone reading this at $120 shipped or $110 without any of the accessories (if you already have your own battery, switch, led, microSD, etc). Will add a couple PayPal buttons shortly.
My bad thought you were referring to the orignal go pro this whole time. Are you offering any warranties as of now? Might pick one up regardless.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."
-Vince Lombardi

Here's my feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
TrueTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:09 AM   #46 (permalink)
Post Whore

I was mildly interested till I saw it wasn't a standard CF or full size SD card. I have enough cards with other gear laying around that I refuse to invest in another form factor that doesn't offer vast improvements over general technical specs. Double the speed and half the energy usage of a high end CF card? Sure, I'll bite. Till then, I find SD cards to be annoyingly small enough.

What I would really love is a modular camera system. The sensor and lens is block mounted as a nice cube with "tie down" slots on all edges, and a six or eight inch cable plugs into a control block. Battery pack then gets its own section with a cable, (And ideally allow smart daisy chaining or tree connections, so you can plug in as many battery packs to the system as your needs require)

Another nice option would be to have either a single card writer on the main control block, or easily pop it off for a memory block connector instead. That way you could hook it to a number of configurable memory blocks, giving you options like redundant write, or volume spanning so you could set it up as a nature camera for extended record times with half a dozen 32gig cards.

Then you could have the whole thing fitting comfortable and snug against the strap on your mask without anything having to stick out much.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:14 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTexan View Post
My bad thought you were referring to the orignal go pro this whole time. Are you offering any warranties as of now? Might pick one up regardless.
Not offering a warranty at the moment unless it is dead on arrival. I don't know of any hobby circuit boards that come with warranties.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:44 PM   #48 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Just bought one. This should be interesting to play with.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:41 AM   #49 (permalink)
Post Whore

Not bad Texan.

There are some good 808's out there that is for certain. But there is also some crap out there as well where they just did not tweak things out well and the colors are off. You have to do your research when it comes to bargain shopping. But I am right there with you...if I can duct tape an 808 on my marker for about $50 and get decent action...then I can invest more in the marker or play en extra game that month

Also HackHD....I think the camera is great and I look forward to a chance to maybe buy one and try it out. I am just getting into mounting camera's and such. I would say though as one who is just starting out in the video aspect of things....the price point is a bit much. I understand that it is not in the range of a GoPro or Contour as far as price is concerned and based on the sample video you posted just a bit short as far as quality is concerned as well. But when I look at me who is a carpenter and not a machinist or anything, I now have to look at putting case on it, actually having someone put a case on it, or buy a shell. Then I am looking at more out of pocket costs before I feel I could use it. And if I nickel and dime it up too much more, then I am also going to go spend another nickel or dime and go with a product that has been tested, and more importantly, has a warranty.

If I drop $40 bucks on something...if it breaks I get a new one...if I spend $100 on something it had best come with a warranty to cover at least a year. Now that is me, and the price may not be able to come down too much right now. And that is evident by only cutting $10 for battery and all the extras. I can say that when I get the cash available I may try this out, but I am not about to go drop a c-note and change on what would be an experiment for me, not just yet.

Good luck though and I hope to see some vids up soon of the camera in action.
Brother Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:42 AM   #50 (permalink)
Bland

If the lense have be run away from the board, I have an idea on how to adapt this perfectly into the mask. I'm just waiting to find out about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle911 View Post
I would also request common sense, but that's the most endangered species of all.

MCB Feedback
Tdot Feedback
RAZRBAKK is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News