mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 07-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #61 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

yeah that HoryzonHD camera looks very interesting for paintball applications. The #1 reason I went with the HackHD (besides the larger sensor) is because the keypad and screen look like a major point of unreliability. I wouldn't want to be using anything long term with those membrane buttons.

The camera mounting solution is really incredible though. I'd love to see that copied.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:58 PM   #62 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

I'm putting a YouTube review together tonight, HackHD vs. GoPro Hero1.

So far the most noticeable difference is the low light capabilities of the HackHD. It has a 1/1.8 or 38 square millimeter sensor size, while the Hero1 has a 1/2.5 or 25 square millimeter sensor size, or a ~35% increase.

[edit] I've also noticed that the HackHD does in fact use GoPro compatible lens threading - m12x0.5. Because the HackHD has a larger sensor, I believe you need to be more careful when selecting lenses to avoid cropping or vignetting.

Last edited by russc; 07-14-2012 at 04:42 AM.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:38 PM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
I'm putting a YouTube review together tonight, HackHD vs. GoPro Hero1.

So far the most noticeable difference is the low light capabilities of the HackHD. It has a 1/1.8 or 38 square millimeter sensor size, while the Hero1 has a 1/2.5 or 25 square millimeter sensor size, or a ~35% increase.

[edit] I've also noticed that the HackHD does in fact use GoPro compatible lens threading - m12x0.5. Because the HackHD has a larger sensor, I believe you need to be more careful when selecting lenses to avoid cropping or vignetting.
Hi Russc, glad you got the camera okay. Did you end up posting that video? Would love to check it out. I assume that light capability difference is a benefit for the HackHD? I am still playing around with lenses for the HackHD, ordered a bunch from m12lenses.com but they are waiting for me in Vegas, will be there this weekend debuting the camera at Defcon, hope to get more people interested
hackhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:53 PM   #64 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

I did toss together a quick low light comparison, but I'm still editing my longer review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUKHzV0guTg

Can't wait to see what the camera can do with different lenses, hopefully they're of decent quality.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:37 AM   #65 (permalink)

Awesome video, your review of the camera is appreciated, especially since positive. Let me know if you need anything as far as HackHD goes and I will give you some good deals. Will let you know how the lens experiment goes.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:42 PM   #66 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackhd View Post
will be there this weekend debuting the camera at Defcon, hope to get more people interested
I am jealous of you.. wanna go to defcon so bad, alas 200 dollars is a lot even with being a local...
uniwersel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:58 AM   #67 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

I'd be curious as to the feedback you received from the Defcon community.
Logic and reason are anathema to him; but this does not deter him from prattling on.
He is the most interesting player in the world.
GoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:38 AM   #68 (permalink)

We did pretty good at Defcon, sold a bunch of units and generated a ton of interest. I have started playing around with different lenses for this board, just need to get some videos on youtube and the lenses for sale on our website.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News