mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 08-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #101 (permalink)

CCM Fan
I bought my Rotor new. I wanted Dyecam, trying to find a used one on any forum is rare to start with and trying to find one for a decent price is even harder. The difference between new and used wasn't enough that I decided to but new.
canuckistani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #102 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
The price is a blocker for me. I don't see any loader being worth that much.

Still, yesterday I replaced the shells on my Magna (I love that thing) and boy, what a mess. I never thought it would be so hard to do it. Took me a good half hour.

The simplicity of this loader is what really got me. I saw the videos they released and I was absolutely amazed on how easy they are to take apart.

But then again, that's also why I like my Torque so much. I have a couple shells for mine and the loader is crazy fast, not only to feed but also to take apart and clean it.

With all that, maybe I'll get one of these Spire's when I seen them being sold used for $90 or so.
mpsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #103 (permalink)
Serving Tea for CCM

Send a message via AIM to senghing27

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I didn't get a chance to chime in about this thing, but now that I'm home after passing out for 13 hours and the 7 hour drive back home from PSP, here's my thoughts on this...

So here we go.

Cost- Yeah, it's pricey and I'm a cheap ***... I wouldn't buy it, but if you got the money and no rotor, it'd be worth a look at.

Durability- The body is glass filled nylon and the back piece is some type of lexan... forgot the correct term the virtue rep told me.

Ease of use- Button on, button off, super easy to use. To break the thing down, I only half consciousness watched the promo vid and was able to tear down, reinstall in about 10 seconds. It's super, super easy. To swap out from lid to speedfeed, 3 seconds. Super, super easy.

Aesthetics and other thoughts.
Profile is uber, uber tight. At first impression, I was "I can never love such a thing" and well, I really like it. If money wasn't a factor, I'd get it. The way that this thing goes when there's a jam is genius, the paddles will flex to bypass, or it will go under and spring if there's a super jam. Noclue and I were saying there's no way that the backpiece is durable, well I was skeptical as well. They had a demo/torture test one that they were drop kicking and playing catch with... NO ISSUES.

So my last thoughts. Yes, it's super tight, yes it's super simple to clean and what not, yes it's super expensive.
Would I buy it? Sure would if the price was right, the $200 range, nahh... I'll stick to my rotor that I bought for $95 used.
~My Feedback~
senghing27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #104 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryjjackson69 View Post
The clear plastic back is lexan, it's durable. Similar material that they use for the "glass" around a hockey rink.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p7tngzHx-E
Agglet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:36 PM   #105 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

That wasn't Lexan... maybe I'm mistaken about what most hockey rinks use, but the few I have been to used Lexan or a similar material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senghing27 View Post
Noclue and I were saying there's no way that the backpiece is durable, well I was skeptical as well. They had a demo/torture test one that they were drop kicking and playing catch with... NO ISSUES.
That's the info I was looking for, might have to get one now. Thank you!
jerryjjackson69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #106 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

It's typically been tempered glass at the rinks I've been to. Tempered glass is thicker, at least a half inch. Lexan types are thinner, by quite a bit. The sound signature is quite different too. Glass is a higher pitch, but pretty dead. Lexan is a very solid WHACK when the puck hits it. The one Lexan rink (that I can't remember the name of right now) had boards and 'glass' that wasn't very new.

With the tempered glass, it's very tough, but they all have a sweet spot (for lack of a better term) that will make them shatter. I've seen teens crack and adults break glass with shots that honestly weren't very hard. It's just a matter of getting hit in the right way in the right place.

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:48 AM   #107 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
In case you're bored and want a quick laugh...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjqGRjNIuzY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhez6_McOL0

Not my videos...

World of Tanks Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCM CHICK View Post
I say to you with love in my heart... your a whore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharfschutze91 View Post
i like the zipper... pullover's hurt when i take them off. I gel my hair everyday so when I pull it off it snags on my hair and hurts.
mrmag11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:13 AM   #108 (permalink)
Banned

funny, but i wished they had more practical tests, like how hard can a clamping feedneck wrap around it before the hopper neck starts showing cracks, or if it can survive a 100lb weight to simulate getting stepped on.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:15 AM   #109 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Those don't make for good YouTube videos. Come on, a chicken coop? That's money!

World of Tanks Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCM CHICK View Post
I say to you with love in my heart... your a whore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharfschutze91 View Post
i like the zipper... pullover's hurt when i take them off. I gel my hair everyday so when I pull it off it snags on my hair and hurts.
mrmag11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:32 AM   #110 (permalink)
Want to see my spaceship?

I wonder if the torture test Spire will be auctioned off? I know it might be a little fowl, but nothing a good washing wouldn't take care of.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News