mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 08-15-2012, 03:04 AM   #111 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
The torture test had elements from the Rotor's torture test but Dye did it WAY better. It's cool that the spire can survive buckshot and is waterproof and is somewhat fireproof (no fire was tested on the lid oddly enough). I agree with Heinous, the 'testing' needed more. It needed to be ran over by a truck or tractor, the lid needed to be put through it's paces and the least they could have done was fed it some egg shaped paint. Overall I was happy with the vids and just may wind up purchasing one. I will wait till the local shop has one that I can fondle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartin View Post
i think you will be fine. Fed Ex was always good to me until my wifes dog bit the driver. they usually don't avoid you unless they have a reason.
p8ntninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:51 AM   #112 (permalink)
BAZINGA PUNK!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to [MOOSE]

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix01 View Post
I wonder if the torture test Spire will be auctioned off? I know it might be a little fowl, but nothing a good washing wouldn't take care of.
I'd buy it. I was telling my girlfriend when we were watching that I wanted it. I think it would be cool!
Long distance member of: Team Long Stroke (It's like a long distance relationship only better)
[MOOSE] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:04 AM   #113 (permalink)
MCB Member

I actually got to fondle one today at the shop.

I have to say that I am pretty Impressed. I really, really, really dug how easy it was to disassemble, the fact that it came apart into three major assemblies: The outer shell, the back shell/lid, and the floor/drive assembly.

The Outer Shell (for lack of the actual nomenclature) felt tough and durable, very much like the shell of a Rotor. The Lid Assembly felt very much like the material used on the V1 Prophecies.

I put it on my G6R, and I really liked the profile. It sat well on the top of the gun, and I also liked how it seemed much more centered on the gun opposed to the Rotor. Though, I have to say that the last observation is purely subjective, and totally based of my perceptions.

All in all, DYE is going to have to step it up to keep up with the Spire. I am not commenting on weather one is better than the other, but I can definitely say that I can see a lot of folks making a decision between the Spire and the Rotor; a very hard decision.

EDIT:

One thing I found kind of novel but very interesting about the Spire:
The LED on the rear of the loader goes from blue (or Green) to red to indicate Paint in the loader to empty. I know, useless but I liked it.

Last edited by breg; 08-15-2012 at 04:13 AM.
breg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:05 AM   #114 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
One thing that got me thinking is how Viewlloader, the brand that used to be the best one around is so far behind it nowadays. The last product I can remember being launched was the Eggy 4, I don't even know how many years ago. I still have a couple Revvys, an Egg and a VLocity but what happened there?
mpsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:38 AM   #115 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
Speaking of which, after using a rotor for something like 2 years, i just slapped my velocity back on my marker and geez that thing is tall lol.

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
JLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:30 AM   #116 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
LOL I love my VLocity but haven't used it in years. Now you just got me thinking about selling it to help fund one of these.

I never thought about trading my current loaders for a Rotor because, to me, the Rotor just looks like a fancier shell for a Torque. But this Spire really got my attention.

Price is still killing me though. Today I received an e-mail from Punishers on which they say the loader is like $185 and if you want the speed feed you actually have to pay an extra $35! That's just absurd...
mpsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #117 (permalink)
Gnarly!

Lid is proprietary? Well, hopefully Exalt will make a speed feed at half the price of Virtue's, as usual.
nerdcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:04 PM   #118 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

The spire imo may be the best looking loader on the market. In terms of pure aesthetics it is like a sportshot and a rotor had a baby.
Kmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:53 PM   #119 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by breg View Post
I actually got to fondle one today at the shop.

I have to say that I am pretty Impressed. I really, really, really dug how easy it was to disassemble, the fact that it came apart into three major assemblies: The outer shell, the back shell/lid, and the floor/drive assembly.

The Outer Shell (for lack of the actual nomenclature) felt tough and durable, very much like the shell of a Rotor. The Lid Assembly felt very much like the material used on the V1 Prophecies.

I put it on my G6R, and I really liked the profile. It sat well on the top of the gun, and I also liked how it seemed much more centered on the gun opposed to the Rotor. Though, I have to say that the last observation is purely subjective, and totally based of my perceptions.

All in all, DYE is going to have to step it up to keep up with the Spire. I am not commenting on weather one is better than the other, but I can definitely say that I can see a lot of folks making a decision between the Spire and the Rotor; a very hard decision.

EDIT:

One thing I found kind of novel but very interesting about the Spire:
The LED on the rear of the loader goes from blue (or Green) to red to indicate Paint in the loader to empty. I know, useless but I liked it.
i dunno, that sounds all very impressive and i'm sure the hopper is, but i just don't see the improvments to be significant enough for people like us, who already own a good hopper, to pay $185 for another, and i have a gen 1 vlocity!
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:46 PM   #120 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
i dunno, that sounds all very impressive and i'm sure the hopper is, but i just don't see the improvments to be significant enough for people like us, who already own a good hopper, to pay $185 for another, and i have a gen 1 vlocity!
I concur, I don't play electro enough to justify upgrading from a Halo and reloder 2. On the flip side though, people are constantly cycling in and out of paintball. Plus agglets always love buying the newest technology.
Kmak is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News