mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 08-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #111 (permalink)
P0E
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post
Hmmm, 60FPS jump certainly sounds like an increase in efficiency is there but, on the other hand, it will slow down more rapidly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by P0E View Post
A lighter ball is NOT a more efficient ball. True, you'll get more shots shooing a 2.8g ball at 290fps than a 3.0g at 290fps. Although that's apples and oranges. A better comparison is 280fps with 3.0g. That's the SAME efficiency while getting BETTER performance (with 3.0g paint).
A 60fps jump in velocity sounds like an overall drop in efficiency.

Most likely due to two things. The Hydrotec is lighter and it might have a tighter fit in the barrel.

Last edited by P0E; 08-02-2012 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Elaborated.
P0E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #112 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
A 60fps jump in velocity sounds like an overall drop in efficiency.

Most likely due to a light ball in an overbore situation.
I believe it would drop in efficiency if the velocity decreased and one would have to increase it.
Kmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:46 PM   #113 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post
That's a given since, that's what Hydrotec is claiming, and it would be the most likely reason why they are more efficient and, why they will slow down faster.
Sorry misread your comment, we are in agreement.

One thing is I bet PLA has a better coefficient of friction than gelatin. I look at capsule all the time and the surface is pretty rough, PLA will have a better surface I am sure. If only they can get the weight up, it will be a superior product.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #114 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredxcam View Post
Who keeps paint for over a year?

I typically don't store paint so it doesn't matter.
And during the day the only paint I've seen go to crap was diablo heat cuznit was garbage
Me. I have a 1.5 year old paint that I still use. I just finished using 2 year old paint.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:36 PM   #115 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Okay, I've finally been able to watch pistolpete's video.

Interesting to hear about the seams.

I'm not sure how to consider the accuracy statements given that there could be two causes- the seam itself or just the lighter projectile being more susceptible to wind. Indoor testing will help me out there.

I'm going to say the 60FPS jump was due to the lighter weight and assuming he was using the stock barrel, a better barrel fit.

So, the shell's are compressible (but return to normal). This is good in that a dimpled ball most likely will not remain dimpled once fired. I can't say without handling them myself but, if they are compressible enough, this may not solve problems for spring tension feed systems (i.e. pistols, Qloaders, etc) but maybe make it a little less of an issue.

The bounce characteristic may be a problem associated with the lighter weight and a flexible shell. This will also make them more likely to bounce off of something like a bounce shirt.

So, for me it's not looking too good but, I'll wait til there is more data to be sure.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
First strike rounds punish lazy people. Don't be lazy and you won't have problems with first strikes.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #116 (permalink)
P0E
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmak View Post
I believe it would drop in efficiency if the velocity decreased and one would have to increase it.
Sorry. My posts were hurried and not worded well.

Here's the scenario...

You were shooting traditional 3.0g paint at 290fps all day. Your air is running low and you have two options to maximize your shot count...

1. Shoot the same paint at a lower velocity (280fps)
2. Shoot a lighter 2.8g ball at full velocity (290fps).

Both scenarios will result in similar shot counts because they require the same amount of energy. Although the heavier ball will have a greater range (negligible) and be less prone to cross winds (negligible).

Regarding the 60fps jump in velocity, I was trying to state that it could be the result of either a lighter ball or a tighter bore fit... or some combination thereof.

Assuming they are still making it from 98% water, we already know it's appreciably lighter.

I'm absolutely amazed there are not more reviews of this stuff up.

Pistolpete93,

How did they perform after a barrel break? Could you simulate one? They state it outperforms traditional paint in a 'shoot-though' situation since the fill liquifies when exposed to shear stress.

Have you done a drop test to see how fragile they are? I'll bet they outperform traditional paint on hard surfaces and under perform on soft surfaces... just due to what the fill is.

Last edited by P0E; 08-02-2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #117 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
You were shooting traditional 3.0g paint at 290fps all day. Your air is running low and you have two options to maximize your shot count...

1. Shoot the same paint at a lower velocity (280fps)
2. Shoot a lighter 2.8g ball at full velocity (290fps).
3. Refill your tank?

Seriously, if you can spare the time to re-chrono at a lower velocity, you can walk over to the fill station.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:42 PM   #118 (permalink)
P0E
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler View Post
3. Refill your tank?

Seriously, if you can spare the time to re-chrono at a lower velocity, you can walk over to the fill station.
A lighter projectile is not inherently more efficient.

Forum Etiquette Suggestion - Read at least a little of the thread before commenting.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:29 AM   #119 (permalink)
Ridiculous MCB Member

Got half of a 100 pod of this paint tonight at are yearly night game from my buddy Skeletor. I haven't shot it yet but I plan on doing some test's on Sunday when I'm at work. I might do a video we will see

New S6.5 model In stock Get yours now.
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/d...t-blocker.html
storminnorman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:14 AM   #120 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by storminnorman View Post
Got half of a 100 pod of this paint tonight at are yearly night game from my buddy Skeletor. I haven't shot it yet but I plan on doing some test's on Sunday when I'm at work. I might do a video we will see
cool, let us know what you think. Try to make a video if possible
Kmak is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News