mcarterbrown.com

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 08-04-2012, 08:30 AM   #121 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by storminnorman View Post
Got half of a 100 pod of this paint tonight at are yearly night game from my buddy Skeletor. I haven't shot it yet but I plan on doing some test's on Sunday when I'm at work. I might do a video we will see
do you have an accurate scale?
brycelarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #122 (permalink)
Ridiculous MCB Member

Yes I have a really nice Ohaus scale and that's the first thing I noticed that they weighed less. I weighed some rps premium and the hydro tech last night the rps premium was 3.5 grams and the hydro tech was 2.5 -2.8 grams. So .3 grams of difference in weight between balls on the hydro tech. I was really surprised at the premium all being 3.5 grams, but then again it is premium.

New S6.5 model In stock Get yours now.
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/d...t-blocker.html
storminnorman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #123 (permalink)
P0E
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by storminnorman View Post
Yes I have a really nice Ohaus scale and that's the first thing I noticed that they weighed less. I weighed some rps premium and the hydro tech last night the rps premium was 3.5 grams and the hydro tech was 2.5 -2.8 grams. So .3 grams of difference in weight between balls on the hydro tech. I was really surprised at the premium all being 3.5 grams, but then again it is premium.
Woah. Are you sure about those numbers? 3.5g paint?! Hydrotec only 2.5g!?

I have been weighing them for a while now and never handled balls heavier than 3.4g....

2.5g is significantly lighter than expected. Can you carefully break it open to see if this light weight is due to an unusually large gap between the solidified fill halves?

Could you input 2.5g and 3.5g weights into your calculations UVHalo?
P0E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #124 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

3.5grams? Whoa, isn't that the max astm? If memory serves me correctly, that would be heavier than any other RPS paint that's been measured.

Was all the gelatin based paint in sealed bags prior to measuring (trying to rule out the chance of the balls soaking up water, influencing their weight)?

I'm also assuming you had a typo when you said the RPS Premium only weighed .3grams more than the Hydrotec when your numbers seem to indicate .7 to a full 1 gram weight difference.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:21 PM   #125 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post

I'm also assuming you had a typo when you said the RPS Premium only weighed .3grams more than the Hydrotec when your numbers seem to indicate .7 to a full 1 gram weight difference.
He was talking about .3g difference between the hydrotech sample size.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #126 (permalink)
Ridiculous MCB Member

Ya I'm sure and the scale is dead on. I was a little surprised myself to see the rps premium weigh in at 3.5 grams but even more surprised to see the 2.5 grams - 2.8 grams. I will try later tonight to figure out were the extra weight is coming from.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #127 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by P0E View Post

Could you input 2.5g and 3.5g weights into your calculations UVHalo?
It'll have to wait till next week for me to plug in raw numbers (currently on the road). From my recollections of trying out different weights, 2.6 to 2.5 isn't a huge deal while 2.5 to 3.5 is fairly significant.

I'd need a bore size for the RPS (assuming the Hydrotec is actually the published size) to put that weight into perspective.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #128 (permalink)
One Pump Chump

Fan of EMR
Kilt Fan
He said that there was a variance of .3 grams in the hydro tech balls. Not between the two brands.
So instead of having badly seemed or warped balls out of the bag, you would have inconsistent weights between balls..
cirkle68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #129 (permalink)
Ridiculous MCB Member

Was all the gelatin based paint in sealed bags prior to measuring (trying to rule out the chance of the balls soaking up water, influencing their weight)?

It's about 6 months old and been stored correctly and rotated. I did bring it with me to the night game last night, so it did sit in some humid weather for 5 hours.

I'm also assuming you had a typo when you said the RPS Premium only weighed .3grams more than the Hydrotec when your numbers seem to indicate .7 to a full 1 gram weight difference.[/QUOTE]

I think you misunderstood my horrible typing and grammar. I meant the difference in the hydro tech paint that I weighed was .3 grams between balls. So they weighed between 2.5 grams and 2.8 grams.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #130 (permalink)
Ridiculous MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post
It'll have to wait till next week for me to plug in raw numbers (currently on the road). From my recollections of trying out different weights, 2.6 to 2.5 isn't a huge deal while 2.5 to 3.5 is fairly significant.

I'd need a bore size for the RPS (assuming the Hydrotec is actually the published size) to put that weight into perspective.
I used a .684 ti titanium back last night for the premium and it was nice and tight. If I had to guess I would say the rps premium is around .686/.687. My batteries are out on my micro so I will have to get more and get back to you on the exact size. I know that the hydro tech fit just as tight in a my .689 ti titanium back. I know the fill I spilled into drops on a piece of paper is now chalk after sitting for 6 hours. The water is out of it completely and it feels like dried white out.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News