mcarterbrown.com

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 08-04-2012, 11:37 PM   #131 (permalink)
JKR
AKA: Wraith

Wow, I am definitely more surprised at 3.5 g RPS paint than the HydroTec weight. I have tested paint weights before and the heaviest I got was around 3.3 g...not even sure now what it was, would have to go looking for the post.

HydroTec was theorized to come in around 2.8 grams based on size and the weight of water. I have my suspicions that this paint was labeled as "indoor" to try to save face on the fact it was so light. Perhaps it was a test batch and the production will be heavier. Perhaps the Armada scenario ball will weight more due to thicker fill.

Who knows...only product testing will tell!

Of course, if HydroTec doesn't remove its collective head from its posterior orifice, then we may never get legit testing.

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
JKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:32 AM   #132 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by storminnorman View Post
...I think you misunderstood my horrible typing and grammar. I meant the difference in the hydro tech paint that I weighed was .3 grams between balls. So they weighed between 2.5 grams and 2.8 grams.
Sorry, I re-read your post and it wasn't so much your writing- I'd blame myself being in a different time zone than normal :P

Based on your 'handling' statements' I'd suspect that they soaked up some moisture to get to that 3.5g weight. However, They might not have been that much lighter.

It is surprising to hear that the Hydrotec rounds are that inconsistent in their weight. But, nobody can definitively say at what point does the weight variance outweigh the inherent inaccuracy of a spherical projectile.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:41 AM   #133 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Is it plausible some of the hydrotec balls may have evaporated a couple grams of water?

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:46 AM   #134 (permalink)
MCB Member

thixotropic gels are notoriously less dense then water. remember it is 98% w/w not v/v water.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #135 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Is it plausible some of the hydrotec balls may have evaporated a couple grams of water?
Through the shell, I'd say unlikely (for all intensive purposes, it's a plastic). Theoretically, if there were tiny pores left in the weld then that could be a source for evaporation.

I'm willing to bet that the difficulties associated with welding two pre-filled halves together is the main contributor to the variation in weight (since they can't be injection filled).
Hell, it may have been the leading reason to the unveil strategy (rather than providing it to product testers like they initially promised to).
I mean, I suspect that they were having problems, they reduced them to the current level and decided to do this game night in order to get player impressions first, rather than subjecting them to scientific/statistical scrutiny.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:31 PM   #136 (permalink)
JKR
AKA: Wraith

Found my data from my previous weight testing (March 2011). It isn't precise measurements but here are the quotes from the separate posts...

Wondering if Hydrotec is ever going to be released!

On a related note...

I have two unopened bags of RPS Premium and decided to get some info on weight. Although not precise for exact ball weight, I figured based on the full bag weight (3 lbs 9 oz divided by 500) that the per ball weight is 3.23g.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some more weight data (admittedly not precise measurements)...

I got some Allstar yesterday at Battlezone Paintball in Mansfield OH at a game and have less than a pod left that I brought home. The paint shot pretty good but was freaking TINY. It rolled right through an .684 sizer with much room to spare. I am guessing it had to be in the .676-.678 range.

I figured this might be a good test to see how much a small paintball might weigh compared to the 3.2 grams that seems to be a pretty average weight for slightly larger paintballs.

Using my digital hanging scale, I zeroed it out after putting a ziploc bag on the hook and began adding balls. I stopped when it just reached 10 ounces. The last ball caused it to just barely go from 9 ounces to 10 ounces so it is very close to 10 ounces exactly.

10 ounces translates to 283.495 grams. It took 96 paintballs to reach 10 ounces on the scale so that gives a ball weight of 2.953 grams.

Hydrotec is reportedly going to weigh around 2.7 or 2.8 grams. Yesterday's batch of Allstar I used performed well (aside from the rollouts I got - my plastic nubbins didn't stop it from rolling out of the .687 Lapco on my Automag). I didn't notice any decrease in range or breaking and was actually quite pleased at the performance compared to the Stinger I got at that field last time I played there.

I think the weight difference we are going to see will be offset by the alleged increased size (compared to most paint on the market these days), roundness and consistency that Hydrotec says it will deliver.

At least this is my hope!

Posts 78 & 79 on this thread... Interview with HydroTec

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
JKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:12 PM   #137 (permalink)

From what I saw of Pistol Pete's review, I'm going to say that I'm slightly disappointed so far. As a pump / pistol player I would have no problem paying $95 a case for paint that offered outstanding accuracy / consistency to go with the longer shelf life and aversion to water damage. But if it's just that water / heat doesn't affect it as much and it has a longer shelf life I will have to wait and see what else gets released to the market.

I'm looking for Longbow magazines as well as an Ion.
Rover Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:53 AM   #138 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
One of the biggest scenario teams around, Desert Edge, was in constant contact with the folks at HydroTec and said the main cause for the delay was obtaining damn near a perfect seam. The guys from DE are in my local shop all the time and are eagerly awaiting their test batches they were promised. This is one small step forward for HydroTec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartin View Post
i think you will be fine. Fed Ex was always good to me until my wifes dog bit the driver. they usually don't avoid you unless they have a reason.
p8ntninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #139 (permalink)
meatballs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO_e2vN_Yr0&feature=player_embedded

Is this guy on MCB?

Last edited by broder; 08-09-2012 at 07:47 PM.
broder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:34 PM   #140 (permalink)
Ridiculous MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broder View Post

That's my skeletor alright, this is were I got my hydro tech paintballs from. He's a great guy to play with, and does honest reviews.

New S6.5 model In stock Get yours now.
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/d...t-blocker.html
storminnorman is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News