mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 08-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #171 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
Unfortunately no tested the First Strike rounds to see if they break down in soil as claimed. Some guy left them in the sun and rain for a year with zero effect. These Hydrotec rounds are supposed to break down in the same way. Hopefully someone tests this out....
Actually, FS rounds are photo-biodegradable polystyrene. They were never claimed to break down in the soil. They require sunlight to break down but, what a lot of people are ignorant of is that "biodegradable" is a term wide enough to drive a truck through with no real differentiation between 'breaks down in one year under the sun" vice "breaks down in 100yrs under the sun".

Hydrotec claims that they are using a corn-derived polymer and, generally speaking these tend to break down in the soil (bacteria, humidity and a little heat), and they tend to break down quicker than other biodegradable plastics (i.e. polystyrene).

Unfortunately, I think Hydrotec has hit an unavoidable roadblock. It's a really simple problem, how do you seal two pre-filled halves of a shell without an air bubble, or void? If you have even the slightest amount of excess fill, it will leak out at the seam, and most likely interfere with the welding of the shell. If the shell halves are not attached to the sheets when they are being welded then, you could overfill, stack the two halves, blow off excess, then weld but, this is either one step applied sequentially to every ball, or a custom, complex machine applying this same process to many balls at once.

All that being said, maybe this whole test day was to see if they could determine if this is a viable product in it's current state.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:21 PM   #172 (permalink)
JKR
AKA: Wraith

For those who haven't heard or read about it, this was posted by Paul Ciesiun on his personal Facebook page:

Fans, I apologize for the silence on our page, and from HydroTec in general. For those of you who have followed this project, and me personally, I sincerely thank you. For those of you who are not aware, I am one of the inventors, and have been the driving force behind HydroTec for the last 9 years. In 2009, I agreed to be an employee of HydroTec as part of a deal with a local Chicago investo
r. However I regret to inform all of you that I am no longer an employee of HydroTec. It should also be known that it was not my decision, but was that of my investor.

It is also important to me that you all know and understand, that over the majority of this year, I have had little involvement in the company’s direction. This includes keeping our faithful followers updated and informed regarding the product. Further, I had no knowledge of, nor was I ever informed of any “launch” at Paintball Explosion. This was also the first time I had heard of an exclusively “indoor” HydroTec formula. My product plan and expectation has always been that HydroTec should be good for both indoor and outdoor play. Further, you should know that Chuck Hendsch is the sole remaining employee of HydroTec. HydroTec’s other employees, (Marketing Manager, Production Coordinator, Project Coordinator, and VP of Technology/Co-Inventor) have moved on from the company.

After nearly a decade of work on this invention, I am confident that in the proper hands and with the proper care, my invention stands to change the industry we all know and love. It is with that in mind that I refocus my efforts to overcome these recent obstacles and continue to pursue what I created. Thus, I have not given up.

Thank you again to all of you who have supported me, my vision, and HydroTec over the last decade.

- Paul Ciesiun

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
JKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:04 PM   #173 (permalink)
Ask me How!

So hydrotech is officially kaput?

Facebook / Twitter
GMAN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:37 PM   #174 (permalink)
JKR
AKA: Wraith

Not sure kaput is the right word...maybe on life support?

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
JKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:10 AM   #175 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Sounds like it's pretty much over at this point.

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #176 (permalink)
Rubber Duckie/Ninja Squad

HUGE disappointment. I had really hoped they could pull this from the fire...alot of Field guys were excited about them, as I'm sure alot of you were as well. Bummer.
JMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:16 PM   #177 (permalink)
P0E
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMac View Post
HUGE disappointment. I had really hoped they could pull this from the fire...alot of Field guys were excited about them, as I'm sure alot of you were as well. Bummer.
Shame I'm not on Facebook. It would be interesting to know if..

"I am confident that in the proper hands and with the proper care, my invention stands to change the industry"

..means it's possible for them to get a consistent fill. Because what we have seen so far looks borderline unusable.
P0E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:33 PM   #178 (permalink)

I'm sorry to see any company involved in paintball go the way of the dodo, especially when they have been attempting to improve on an existing product. Hopefully Paul can turn things around.

I'm looking for:

12 gram Drop out Assembly (Phantom)
Dmag mag well (MKPII)
Ion Longbow Ups
TiPX
Rover Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #179 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover Lead View Post
I'm sorry to see any company involved in paintball go the way of the dodo, especially when they have been attempting to improve on an existing product. Hopefully Paul can turn things around.
Indeed hopefully a large company like dye, could pick them up and send the idea back to the drawing board.
"The world is like a ride at an amusement park. And when you choose to go on it, you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round. It has thrills and chills and it's very brightly colored and it's very loud and it's fun, for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time, and they begin to question: Is this real, or is this just a ride? And other people have remembered, and they come back to us, they say, "Hey, don't worry, don't be afraid ever, because this is just a ride." And we ... kill those people." - William Melvin Hicks

newfangled feedback transporter link

Swoop body b2k4 Bushmaster for sale
Kmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #180 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmak View Post
Indeed hopefully a large company like dye, could pick them up and send the idea back to the drawing board.
Yeah, if you want to spend $150/case on it
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News