mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 07-28-2012, 10:20 PM   #51 (permalink)
Post Whore

Vortex shedding at work. That's why round musket balls are less accurate than bullet shaped bullets. Still waiting to get my hands on some of these!

Rob

agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:49 PM   #52 (permalink)
Tigerstyle

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
PBE's normal paint is some of the best paint ive ever shot. No one will buy the hydrotech stuff.

With that said... even if the hydrotech balls live up to the hype.. i will never buy paint for that much money.

Admission to paintball explosion is free for me (usually) and its 25 for a bag. So i normally play 2 days on 25 bucks.

Even if they sold the hydrotech balls by the bag, I could play 4 full days on 2 bags of cheaper paint, at the same price as one hydrotech bag. Not to mention that "cheap" paint still shoots tits.

Its just not worth the price... unless it can shoot around bunkers.
"Conformities are called for much more eagerly today than yesterday... skeptics, liberals, individuals with a taste for private life and their own inner standards of behavior, are objects of fear and derision and targets of persecution for either side... in the great ideological wars of our time."- Isaiah Berlin

"Freedom is not something that can be given. Freedom is something people take, and people are as free as they want to be."- James Baldwin
Ramous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:54 PM   #53 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramous View Post
PBE's normal paint is some of the best paint ive ever shot. No one will buy the hydrotech stuff.

With that said... even if the hydrotech balls live up to the hype.. i will never buy paint for that much money.

Admission to paintball explosion is free for me (usually) and its 25 for a bag. So i normally play 2 days on 25 bucks.

Even if they sold the hydrotech balls by the bag, I could play 4 full days on 2 bags of cheaper paint, at the same price as one hydrotech bag. Not to mention that "cheap" paint still shoots tits.

If it lives up to the hype i'd have no qualms about the price playing pump. For days when I just feel like using lots of suppressive fire in semi (scenarios for example) though i'd likely pick something cheaper.

Team Trigger Happy
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:18 AM   #54 (permalink)
JKR
AKA: Wraith

Quote:

Their paint is usually $85/case according to the website. Admission is another $18.

They were charging $95 for a case including admission for the HydroTec day.

There is no way to know how much "normal" prices will be if the field marks up that much. Stay tuned...we will know someday.

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
JKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #55 (permalink)
Total wreath

CCM Fan
Unless its $60 a case no thanks. Premium and all star break good enough at a good price. Hell it's almost as expensive as first strikes.

I'm not rich by any means but even playing stock class premium is good enough and cheap enough.

Or buying evil for $30 a case at a psp event and storing it
shredxcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:39 AM   #56 (permalink)
n00b

Man, I've never seen so much whining on an MCB thread. Back in High School, paint was $125. $95 was the discount stuff, and usually wasn't worth a damn, plus you had to pay for entry ($25) and every CO2 fill was $6. So $95 for a day's play? Definitely seen worse.

Plus, as has been pointed out several times, the field marked the stuff up significantly.

So hold off on all the negativity until you see it in person. From the sounds of things, it's definitely worth looking into, particularly down here in the South, to resist the humidity.

Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Stoic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:07 AM   #57 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:

your math isn't working out - based on what you're currently paying this price for hydrotec is actually cheaper. You're already paying $100 / case.

dunno what the actual retail price will be - that'll be up to your local field.
brycelarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:29 AM   #58 (permalink)
Tigerstyle

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by brycelarson View Post
your math isn't working out - based on what you're currently paying this price for hydrotec is actually cheaper. You're already paying $100 / case.

dunno what the actual retail price will be - that'll be up to your local field.
At the current discount beta test price, yes its cheaper to buy by the case. But I dont buy by the case. Its safe to assume the field will mark the hydrotech up more than the standard paint.

So lets just asume its 40 a bag. At that price i could almost get a whole nother bag of cheaper paint and play another 2 full days.

The shelf life isnt really important to me because the longest i sit on paint is a week. So for the budgeted paintballer, I dont think these are a good alternative.

Sure if you buy a case of paint but only use a bag to play this stuff is awesome because you could by a case and not have to worry about it dimpiling before you can use it.

I think these balls will be more of a benifit to the paintballers that dont get to play often, and ballers that often go home with a lot of extra paint as the longer shelf life will allow them to use their left over paint, even if they only paintball once a month.

But for the field regulars, this will likely drive the price of a day of play up to high to be favorable.

So personally, I dont see the hype in these balls, but thats just because of my style of play. I definitly think these are targeting a niche market.
"Conformities are called for much more eagerly today than yesterday... skeptics, liberals, individuals with a taste for private life and their own inner standards of behavior, are objects of fear and derision and targets of persecution for either side... in the great ideological wars of our time."- Isaiah Berlin

"Freedom is not something that can be given. Freedom is something people take, and people are as free as they want to be."- James Baldwin
Ramous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:36 AM   #59 (permalink)
Paintball Fox

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
They shoud target canada, we wont complain as much as usa.
Here out pump ball is GI at 35$/bag and the 'high grade' draxxus at 40$/bag

Feedback
BenoitOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #60 (permalink)
Post Whore

Why don't we keep our attention on whether it WORKS as advertised and let hydrotech worry about whether it will SELL.
Every time some new product comes out we get a 20 page thread, with 18 of them filled with people telling us they won't sell because they're A. too expensive B. not what people want C. Too cheaply made.
Don't forget the unspoken hipster D. "I didn't see 'em first and don't get to take credit for discovering them, so I've got to crap on a product I know nothing about".

NOONE knows anything about the paint market in the US, so you're all just guessing what will sell or won't.

Save your clairvoyance for lotto tickets, then you can afford good paint!

Not anyone at RPS with any authority knows squat and not Draxxus either at least.
RPS wouldn't have sent a truck of uncured walmart junk in tournament boxes to the living legends game's THOUSANDS of customers, while sending a perfectly crafted truck of artisan quality paint to the hundreds at the NPPL field 150 YARDS AWAY if they did.
All we had to do was walk over there to see that we were getting the shaft on purpose. Alot of us did.
RPS sends subquality product to everyone except their favorites. So I left there saying if you want good paint and don't have their logo tattooed on your forehead, stay away from RPS!!!
Draxxus has in the past done exactly the same sort of thing, I'm sure the others are guilty too.

If this paint works as advertised, if the managers aren't such knuckleheads they torpedo their own business before it starts and they're able to deliver product consistently it will sell unbelievably.

The paint companies are like a character in a mortal combat game, staggering back and forth with finish me written across their chests. A really well managed company with any ethical standards at all could shove them right down, take their lunch money and send them home.

Draxxus over the last few years before Battaglia got it back(we'll see..) had screwed Hell Survivors in Mi so bad they decided to let RPS send a test batch of evil tournament for players to try.
Bear in mind that Hell Survivors sells between 10-20 MILLION paintballs a year(this number based on number of trucks I've seen unloaded at the field versus # of paintballs on a truck and is in no way official).

Yes, that's right. RPS sent us uncured poop.
I couldn't shoot 2 TPX mags without a break, we couldn't even find 2 in a bag with the E logo the same size on them. The guys at Draxxus owe them dinner, at least!

More consistent, accurate paint IS an unfilled niche market right now...
Because markers have been designed to put up with and cover up horrible crap with high volume.
Modern markers have no consistent design motto other than accuracy by volume.
Just like bad 12grams, mostly from crosman killed the lever changer, bad paint has killed any marker that can't hose enough out to compensate.
When good consistent paint becomes available, ultra high ROF will slowly go away, no longer necessary.

If every paintball, or even most, goes where you aim it, you don't need to throw ropes down a lane for 5 minutes at $1 a second. You just wait for someone to try it, then shoot them.

I'll buy these and I bet I'll be in a line when I do!

Rob

Last edited by agentSmith; 07-30-2012 at 11:56 AM.
agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News