mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 10-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #101 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
What the hell is with their naming schemes these days, though? Terribad.
I know right. They will probably release an elecrto version (ION) and call it fRNd.
"The world is like a ride at an amusement park. And when you choose to go on it, you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round. It has thrills and chills and it's very brightly colored and it's very loud and it's fun, for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time, and they begin to question: Is this real, or is this just a ride? And other people have remembered, and they come back to us, they say, "Hey, don't worry, don't be afraid ever, because this is just a ride." And we ... kill those people." - William Melvin Hicks

newfangled feedback transporter link

Swoop body b2k4 Bushmaster for sale
Kmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #102 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
So far as chop protection goes, is the vibe/SP-1 bolt soft enough to prevent breaks by itself?
It's fairly soft by design. I will put my finger in MY vibe breech. However, the softness is due to the low chamber pressure and slow speed (force) of the bolt. Once you start trying to jack up the rof, you need higher pressure to cycle the bolt, and the soft cycle goes out the window. The whole marker matches up with low pressure CO2, low rate of fire (11 bps), and low bolt force. After poking around on it for a while, I put an extra o-ring on the bolt tail and left the rest alone.

The trigger operation on this one is a big question for me as well. I can chuff a pneumag. If there's nothing between the trigger valve and the bolt operation, I doubt I'll be able tolerate it. A little mechanical break-over mechanism would work though.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #103 (permalink)
P0E
Banned

Interested in how it works.

In regard to what SP did and why I want our IP system to die:
Everything is a Remix

Note that the credits are in the middle of each movie and there are several before they get into the patent system.

P.S. The creator has the most awesome hair style I've seen since Estrada.
P0E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:25 PM   #104 (permalink)
MCB Member

According to someone on PBN who claims to have shot one at GOG, the bolt remains forward until trigger release, which means it is just a normally open 3-way (i.e. no pulse valve or any other funniness).
y0da900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:33 PM   #105 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaccen View Post
Since one eventually always brings up patents when discussing the Gardners, it would be interesting to see if Colin Bryant Moritz has anything to say about this new marker:

Patent US6990971 - Pneumatically amplified trigger actuator for a gas operated marker gun - Google Patents

Not directly applicable, but it's the first patent that came to my mind vaguely similar to this marker.
I doubt they care since they moved the company to Costa Rica.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:21 AM   #106 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0da900 View Post
According to someone on PBN who claims to have shot one at GOG, the bolt remains forward until trigger release, which means it is just a normally open 3-way (i.e. no pulse valve or any other funniness).
If true, this is discouraging. If the dwell is fully controlled the user's trigger, this would also seem to indicate that it would be possible to short-stroke the trigger, resulting in non-shots in some circumstances.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:49 AM   #107 (permalink)
MCB Member

A short enough throw on the 3-way can severely reduce the potential to short stroke. You would probably have to intentionally pull the trigger as slowly as possible with a rapid release to cause a short stroke.
y0da900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:41 AM   #108 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
I doubt they care since they moved the company to Costa Rica.
-Wouldn't matter, since in the case of a patent violation, they could block importation of the markers into the US.

Somebody earlier mentioned the idea that GOG developed this in order to use their existing tech (the Ion design) but not to have to pay royalties on their own electronic marker patent.

I would not be the least surprised if this was, in fact, the truth, but that doesn't take in account the spool valve patent. As I understand it, SP had to license the spool valve tech from DYE, who either patented it or bought the patent back in the early Matrix days.

Again as I understand it (and I'd love to hear more info if you have it) that SP and DYE worked out a deal so both parties could use each other's tech. If that's true, naturally any agreement dissolved along with SP themselves, but that wouldn't leave GOG free and clear to start making spoolvalves again- regardless of where their factory or offices are located.

Of course, it might be that GOG is licensing the spoolers, but going mech in order to keep from having to also license the E-gun tech.

All idle speculation, of course. Any other info?

Doc.
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:56 AM   #109 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to blackrain

You know what, this is the first non electro that has come along in a long time. There have been alot of crappy guns and clones produced over the yrs.

The Vibe and SP1 were designed to get players back in the sport. Alot of players and families are on hard times. Maybe this new gun will help them get back on the field and play.

Atleast they are marketing and making guns for the entry level players. Something I haven't seen in a long time.

Instead of worring about patten issues and who is going to send who to court, we should worry about getting players out onto the fields.

Atleast this new gun is offering upgrade parts when the player is ready. This gun can grow with the player to his/her's next level. The gun or any gun we use is only as good as the person using it.

Later,
Blackrain

Last edited by blackrain; 10-06-2012 at 01:17 PM.
blackrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:24 AM   #110 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrain View Post
Instead of worring about patten issues and who is going to send who to court, we should worry about getting players out onto the fields.
-While I agree in sentiment, the fact is that the founders of GOG are, in fact, the former founders of Smart Parts, and SP effectively launched the patent wars- which led directly to ICD and AKA dropping their marker lines, and indirectly to AGD dropping theirs.

And they did it using a patent they bought from another company, after they bankrupted them, deliberately and directly, by ordering more markers than the small business could produce, and then refusing to pay for them.

Sorry, but the GOG/ex-SP guys made their own bed, and now they have to sleep in it.

I won't badmouth this new gun just because it's a GOG product, and I may even buy one eventually. (Why not? I've owned at least one of almost everything else... ) And I'm not recommending anyone else not buy it, or suggesting any kind of a boycott. But the issue of the patents is a valid one, and absent of outright malice, makes for an interesting discussion.

Doc.
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News