mcarterbrown.com
 

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2012, 08:11 AM   #111 (permalink)
Moderator General
 
Chappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Secretly policing you...

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsMachine View Post
-While I agree in sentiment, the fact is that the founders of GOG are, in fact, the former founders of Smart Parts, and SP effectively launched the patent wars- which led directly to ICD and AKA dropping their marker lines, and indirectly to AGD dropping theirs.

And they did it using a patent they bought from another company, after they bankrupted them, deliberately and directly, by ordering more markers than the small business could produce, and then refusing to pay for them.

Sorry, but the GOG/ex-SP guys made their own bed, and now they have to sleep in it.

I won't badmouth this new gun just because it's a GOG product, and I may even buy one eventually. (Why not? I've owned at least one of almost everything else... ) And I'm not recommending anyone else not buy it, or suggesting any kind of a boycott. But the issue of the patents is a valid one, and absent of outright malice, makes for an interesting discussion.

Doc.
Very well put, Doc.
__________________

"But if somebody left you out on a ledge, If somebody pushed you over the edge, If somebody loved you and left you for dead,
You got to hold on to your time till you break through these times of trouble"
Temple of the Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironnerd88 View Post
Tournament play is about the worst spectator sport out there. I would rather watch Synchronized Dungeons & Dragons.


My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #112 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
y0da900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Plattsburgh, NY

The DYE patent only covered specific features of spool operation - the most important aspect of which is using the bolt as a spool valve shutoff for the incoming air to isolate the dump chamber. The stock Ions didn't/don't do this, and the Shocker didn't do this until the HE bolt. Lots of aftermarket Ion bolts do this, and some upgrade factory bolts as well I believe. I believe, however, that the enmey will have this feature.

But, the DYE patent may no longer matter (making their prior arrangements also not matter, regardless of which business made the agreement). When searching for some patent related information the other day, I found a part of the USPTO site that lets you check any patent that has not expired due to age, and it will give you its status due to payment or non-payment (abandonment). According to that, 5,613,483 - the patent for the Omega/Matrix - expired in 2009 due to non-payment. I'm trying to figure out if there were any others that are valid that may have been a direct result of that patent, but if not it may no longer be an issue.

https://ramps.uspto.gov/eram/patentMaintFees.do
patent is 5613483
application number is 08555625 (gotten from the cover sheet of the issued patent - the 08 is not shown on this and comes from a chart on the link above).

Select "get bibliographic data"

"Expired, No 12th year fee paid by: 03/25/2009"

Works on any patent that hasn't auto-expired due to age.

USPTO Assignments on the Web

That will let you check who the current holder of a patent is, as well as the previous holders. DYE acquired the Omega/Matrix patent on May 27, 2003.
y0da900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #113 (permalink)
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: May 2008

If it performs well, shoots at a decent bps, and is omnigas, I would be interested. If they offered it in right or left feed I might have trouble not trying one eventually. I just wonder how it will stack up to my micromag, 2k cocker, and 1k blazer.

I wonder what sort of efficiency and noice signature this would have.

but good for them for releasing a non-blowback mech.
__________________
My MCB feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...ml#post2245661

wanted: got most of it for now.

currently in China
James_Blond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:32 PM   #114 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->
 
ta2maki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunny Southern California

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaccen View Post
Ydna made the first one I was aware of, but I'm not even sure he was the first.

ZDS Paintball - My Markers - Mechanical Ion



Since one eventually always brings up patents when discussing the Gardners, it would be interesting to see if Colin Bryant Moritz has anything to say about this new marker:

Patent US6990971 - Pneumatically amplified trigger actuator for a gas operated marker gun - Google Patents

Not directly applicable, but it's the first patent that came to my mind vaguely similar to this marker.
Isn't that patent invalid or something? I remember hearing some other company (PTP?) had a similar patent and Colin decided to drop the hAir because he didnt want to get involved in the mess.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #115 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive
 
PistolRogue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Jackson, NJ
Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Blond View Post
If it performs well, shoots at a decent bps, and is omnigas, I would be interested. If they offered it in right or left feed I might have trouble not trying one eventually. I just wonder how it will stack up to my micromag, 2k cocker, and 1k blazer.

I wonder what sort of efficiency and noice signature this would have.

but good for them for releasing a non-blowback mech.
I'll be honest, I had a ULE mag and love it, but the trigger pull, overall weight, and efficiency were WAY better out of my mech Ion. Keep in mind I have no idea what GOG is using as a trigger valve in the eNMEy, but if it's as good or better than the hobbyist SMAV-3 setups that have been in common rotation, it will give a mag with an RT trigger a solid run for its money.
__________________
Jay AKA Rogue Reservoir Dogs Scenario Paintball Team- Our $#&* is RIGOROUS!
Check Out My Mod Threads : Pirate DSG - SA17 Mods - Simple/Cheap/Free TPX Mods - The 'Big Damn Hero' DRV
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:10 AM   #116 (permalink)
Your Favorite Minecrafter
 
THE PAINTBALL NINJA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Panama City, FL

I might buy one if it's sub-$100, really depends on their definition of "entry-level blowback" price.
THE PAINTBALL NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:23 AM   #117 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado
 
idkfa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PAINTBALL NINJA View Post
I might buy one if it's sub-$100, really depends on their definition of "entry-level blowback" price.
It's neither sub-$100 nor an entry level blowback.
__________________
idkfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:50 AM   #118 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
blackrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: America
Send a message via AIM to blackrain

HMMMMMMMMMMMM for some reason I think NEVRDUL is going to be a best friend to this gun

Later,
Blackrain
blackrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #119 (permalink)
Newbie
 
jb82ndabn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SW Penna

It is very possible I am the person from PbN being referenced regarding the trigger pull. Yes, I shot one Thursday at GOG and couldn't short stroke it. Think about this from a field owners point of view: no more batteries to buy, no dwell to set, no boards to break/replace. The marker will handle very brittle paint and the accuracy is pretty decent for an entry level marker. It will shoot at a decent ROF. The one I shot used a Tippmann Triumph loader so yes, there is a battery in that. This marker will be upgradeable to an electro by changing the frame and some other components. Great for new players who want to upgrade at some point without buying a whole new marker. Typically the older style markers shot on CO2 had a problem with freeze-up of the valve during rapid strings of fire. That will not occur with marker. Most fields have moved away from CO2 so you may feel this is not an issue. However, not everyone can afford all the necessary components associated with HPA and transportability of such equipment to the "woods" can be an issue. Let's let the market/players decide if this is going to work out. At $129.00 it can't be all bad. If you are really curious, stop by the GOG shooting/vendor booth at WC.
jb82ndabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #120 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
blackrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: America
Send a message via AIM to blackrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb82ndabn View Post
It is very possible I am the person from PbN being referenced regarding the trigger pull. Yes, I shot one Thursday at GOG and couldn't short stroke it. Think about this from a field owners point of view: no more batteries to buy, no dwell to set, no boards to break/replace. The marker will handle very brittle paint and the accuracy is pretty decent for an entry level marker. It will shoot at a decent ROF. The one I shot used a Tippmann Triumph loader so yes, there is a battery in that. This marker will be upgradeable to an electro by changing the frame and some other components. Great for new players who want to upgrade at some point without buying a whole new marker. Typically the older style markers shot on CO2 had a problem with freeze-up of the valve during rapid strings of fire. That will not occur with marker. Most fields have moved away from CO2 so you may feel this is not an issue. However, not everyone can afford all the necessary components associated with HPA and transportability of such equipment to the "woods" can be an issue. Let's let the market/players decide if this is going to work out. At $129.00 it can't be all bad. If you are really curious, stop by the GOG shooting/vendor booth at WC.

Looking at your profile, this gun is going to help you. Which is great and I can understand your point about rentals

I personally see alot of potential for this gun AND new players. As mention it is a GUN THAT CAN GROW WITH THE PLAYER.

Later,
Blackrain
blackrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC