mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 10-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #61 (permalink)
Idiot Fanboy.

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Nah we love Blackrain....

"The future is already here - it's just not very evenly distributed."
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_chemist View Post
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull****" is my motto
shadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:07 PM   #62 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to blackrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadawg View Post
Thank you I feel special. Now where is my gun? GoG advertisement says Oct 2012 and that's what my calendar says just drop me pm when its ready.

Later,
Blackrain
blackrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #63 (permalink)
Pop-Up Ninja

You don't get the one you paid for 'til after I get my free one. =P

Go ye therefore to all the nations, baptizing them in copious amounts of paint.

Proud member of Team On Target.
www.teamontargetpb.com
Murf425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #64 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to blackrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadawg View Post
Cash has been sent and Iam paid up for my new gun Just PM me when the gun is sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf425 View Post
You don't get the one you paid for 'til after I get my free one. =P
We'll have to see about that, maybe I'll just show up and crash the tech party

Later,
Blackrain
blackrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #65 (permalink)
la la la la revolution

I hope this is what it seems. A mass-produced, cheap, single-trigger pneumatic Ion would be a good thing. Do they still make 'cocker threaded breeches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocockerfan View Post
Here is my little snip. If in fact it is only the standard ion, or so, with the mech setup; I have lost even more resect for SP. Copycat jerks. Just like KEE and Tippman using the AGD Automag design. Again, copycat jerks. Get your own design.
Huh? Are you referring to the Mini/Axe and Phenom and TPX?

AGD's design was for a sear-controlled blow-forward with the addition of an integrated shut-off valve for filling the dump chamber. When at rest, the bolt is under constant air pressure and is only restrained by the sear. Pulling the trigger releases the sear and simultaneously cuts off flow of air into the dump chamber for efficiency. The regulator is integrated into the valve assembly.

The Mini/Axe/TM-7/TM-15 design doesn't have a sear, and doesn't have a trigger-controlled shut-off valve. The dump chamber is organized differently. The regulator is separated from the "valve" (actually a poppet unlike AGD) by the dump chamber. Other than the bolt moving forward when the gun is fired and returned by a spring, it really has nothing in common with the AGD design.

The Tippmann TPX and phenoms lack a sear, and as far as I can tell (I regret that I haven't been able to take one apart) there isn't an AGD-style dump chamber. Air doesn't push the bolt forward until the trigger is pulled, so there's no need for a sear. Like AGD, a spring does return the bolt.

You didn't mention the Tiberius pistols, but they come much closer to the AGD design. There's a dump chamber constantly pushing the bolt forward with only a sear to restraining it. There is no trigger-controlled valve to keep air from filling the dump chamber; instead there is a restriction that keeps the air supply from leaking into the dump chamber too fast. This allows a spring to reset the bolt (faster flow would keep the bolt from resetting). The sear is not directly actuated by the trigger; it's a lot like an actual firearm in this way.

The pneumatic Ion (if that's what this goofily-named-yet-still-appealing thing is) has even less in common with AGD's design, except for a bolt that opens a dump chamber after moving forward past a certain point. There's no sear, and the bolt shuts off airflow into the dump chamber when firing, not the trigger. The mechanics that cause the bolt to move forward and reset are completely different, and the reg is clear across the gun. There are other guns it's similar to, but not made by AGD.

I've haven't paid much attention to Paintball the last couple of years, so maybe I've just missed some products that actually copy AGD, but AFAIK only Tiberius pistols come close, and they have some novel features that (IMO) are superior to the AGD design.

Edit: Holy crap, that's a lot of text. Sorry. Guess I needed to geek out on paintball gun mechanics.

Last edited by MondoMor; 10-04-2012 at 05:54 PM.
MondoMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #66 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf425 View Post
One last thing I'm curious about:

Is there a safety? A converted Ion doesn't have one, and if this is going to be marketed to newer players...
(Especially since there's no on/off, so "turn off the air between games" isn't a valid approach.)
I think this is a moot point. A lot of guns don't have a safety, nor should they be relied upon. They should be using a barrel blocking device, no exceptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocockerfan View Post
Here is my little snip. If in fact it is only the standard ion, or so, with the mech setup; I have lost even more resect for SP. Copycat jerks. Just like KEE and Tippman using the AGD Automag design. Again, copycat jerks. Get your own design.
It's not like AGD is doing anything (read: ****-all) with the design anyways. I hate SP as much as anyone, but they may actually be releasing a product which is sorely overdue.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #67 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
What the hell is with their naming schemes these days, though? Terribad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
But seriously...fire the guy who named those things. eXTCy, eNVy and eNMEy? wtf.
Yeah, I don't get it either. Is the spelling supposed to trigger the word Enemy or Enema? Either way, it's silly.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #68 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

incredibly stupid name... cool idea though. I can see a bunch of MCBers ripping the guts out out of the plastic body and putting it inside rifle stocks and the like
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #69 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flonominal View Post
Can someone explain to me how this marker works? Not too familiar... also any other marker similar to get an idea?

The Inflicted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #70 (permalink)
Thick

Send a message via AIM to HurtCow

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MondoMor View Post
Blah blah blah
Don't forget the ICD Desert Fox, the Badger, the Armson Semi, the Sheridan Equalizer...

I dig this new little gun. I'll pick one up once they hit the used market.

If I hurt your feelings or otherwise offended you, click here.
HurtCow is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News