mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 10-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #31 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to blackrain

APG is no longer carried in the NEX where I live. Which means probably will be dropped from local PX as well. Oh well hasn't been exciting for 15 yrs.

Later,
Blackrain
blackrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #32 (permalink)
aka SoulCoffin

AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf425 View Post
Just-another-electronic-poppitt versus a pretty ground-breaking electro/mechanical offering is a pretty easy choice in my book. The Etha might be the "better" gun...but the Crossover is definitely the more imaginative.
Ground breaking??? Ummm... Tom Kaye and the Emag/xmag community might disagree with you there...
TooningSpork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:38 PM   #33 (permalink)
Post Whore

As someone who has used a crossover for actual play, and has one in their hands right-this-instant (but I don't own it, it's on loan) I can honestly say that I'd take it over anything in the same price range day-in and day-out. Think of it this way. It took everything that the E-Mag was supposed to do and did it better, and for way less money.

Pros:
Super light
Efficient (compared to many electros in the same $ range. It beats my mini hands down)
Fires analog or digital (batteries run out? No problemo! It still shoots!)
Tippmann durability and reliability
Rock solid valve system

Cons:
A few bucks more than the competition
People look at you funny when you sling 13bps ramping at them with a Tippmann that isn't a sear tripper... oh wait... that's a pro in my book.

It really is a great marker, and as an electro player on a board with a bunch of guys who think 9v batteries only belong in ReVLutions or better yet, walkmans and transistor radios, I can tell you that the ability to flip a thumb-switch and go from battery operated to manual firing mode without missing a beat is fantastic. Even in manual mode, the pull is light, crisp, and fast. After a day of playing with it, I was ready to trade in my Mini.

I think the hurdle here is that people seem to be incredulous that Tippmann could make an actual electropneumatic marker that doesn't have a million camo-colored add ons. Trust me, I was skeptical right up to the point I started pulling the trigger at the chrono station. There's no tweaking, no need to mess around with the trigger. I frikken baby could pick it up and walk the trigger. It really is an impressive piece and I highly recommend playing around with one if you get the chance. I'm hoping to see more from Tippmann on this end of things.

Again, I don't own one, but have had it in my possession for the past month or so, and that time has seriously made me consider selling the Mini to fund one of my own.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:46 PM   #34 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

I think it's less that anyone thinks poorly of the Crossover than of the obvious marketing ploy of a magazine naming this marker "marker of the year" when Tippmann probably pays them more in advertising than any other company.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:14 PM   #35 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolRogue View Post
I think it's less that anyone thinks poorly of the Crossover than of the obvious marketing ploy of a magazine naming this marker "marker of the year" when Tippmann probably pays them more in advertising than any other company.
Remember, this is the same magazine that brought us the "Spyder of the Month" review for years on end.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:23 PM   #36 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta paintball View Post
I didn't even know APG was still in print to be honest.
They are, they went from monthly, to bi-monthly, but last one I read said they were going to go quarterly now so who knows. It's so horribly thin now even with airsoft mixed into it it's more of a pamphlet then a magazine.
DamoNAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:42 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyRadeon View Post
Haha, my library gets it.
!!!

Do they have back issues? How far back do the archives go?
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:55 PM   #38 (permalink)
Brother Mercenary Group

Good for Tippmann. A great company with great service and great products. Now I don't have a deep knowledge for electros or automags or anything else this is compared to but I can't find any con in the Crossover. It works extremely well and I really like mine.

As for the price point on them, I don't mind spending a few extra dollars to keep Americans working. I'm sure they could outsource to cut prices as I'm sure every other marker in the same price range does (I don't know, I'm just assuming), but Tippmann didn't. However they earned Marker of the Year, no matter, they deserve it. Keep it up Tippmann!
toneg28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:59 PM   #39 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
!!!

Do they have back issues? How far back do the archives go?
not sure if they do. so your best bet is to Google it or let your finger do walking and give them a call.
chrislognshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:05 AM   #40 (permalink)
Mr. Republican

Send a message via AIM to delta paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneg28 View Post
Good for Tippmann. A great company with great service and great products. Now I don't have a deep knowledge for electros or automags or anything else this is compared to but I can't find any con in the Crossover. It works extremely well and I really like mine.

As for the price point on them, I don't mind spending a few extra dollars to keep Americans working. I'm sure they could outsource to cut prices as I'm sure every other marker in the same price range does (I don't know, I'm just assuming), but Tippmann didn't. However they earned Marker of the Year, no matter, they deserve it. Keep it up Tippmann!
I am sure this has nothing to do with the Tippmann logo in your sig. At all.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News