mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 12-30-2012, 01:32 AM   #1801 (permalink)
random probability waves

Brass N Wood Fan
yeah, MRX mags work

TANSTAAFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy
here's your chance to be cool like Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy
don is on the path to everlasting coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashHopes
OMG boobs, beers and Chad Thompson. Nothing could be better.
Bored383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:02 AM   #1802 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to BigOldSkool

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Annnnnnnd buying a bunch

RIP - Ed "BigDaddy" Roth and "Indian" Larry
Wild Geese - Coney Isand White Fish - ECA
BOS's Feedback!
What Serial Number Is Your Cocker? WTB
ECAP - "Making players dreams other players nightmares"
COUSINS PAINTBALL
BigOldSkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:30 AM   #1803 (permalink)

Just got back from my first day with the Hammer 7 and I have to say out of the box it was pretty much unusable. There were actually two of us who happened to be trying them out and our experiences were identical; so this wasn't the case of a single bad build.

Must Fix Items:
  • In the heat of the game I would pump too hard, and burp one, sometimes two, balls down the barrel (as in down the barrel and half way down the field)...even "light" pumping would result in burping...just not always with the "burp shot"
    -Does anyone have any thoughts on how to prevent barrel burping? I've run nelson based pumps before, and this was in another league...really bad...
    -Could it be as simple as finding some way to limit the pump stroke a little? or shim the valve back a bit?
  • I got something like 10 barrel breaks. Pretty much one per game. If I had to guess I'd say somewhere around one for every 30-50 shots. These looked like CO2 induced breaks to me...so maybe an anti-siphon is just required on this marker? And no brittle/high end paint? (which would suck)

General complaints:
  • Vertical feed on a pump is not fun for me, vertical feed + back bottle is terrible, I couldn't aim worth a damn on this marker
  • It was shockingly unresponsive to attempts at velocity adjustments

With that in mind...next steps for this marker are (in order of priority)
  • Anti-siphon (i refuse to give up on CO2)
  • Bottom line with stock
  • Some magical cure for the barrel burps?
  • Either a ton of mags or a q-loader adaptation and a sight riser...something that moves most of the paint out of the way and lets me sight ~ down the barrel
  • Regulator
  • Some trick way of rotating the breach selector without tools! On the fly first strike selection needs to happen!

...overall a disappointing amount of work required for a brand new marker. I thought others getting their new toys in might appreciate the warning. Mine was fine plinking off the porch, but not so hot when I tried to use it a little harder. If you can upgrade before playing.
Sterling500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:34 AM   #1804 (permalink)
Banned

well it has a guide rod, so if you want to limit the stroke, the pieces are already there...
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:44 AM   #1805 (permalink)
Radical!

I wouldn't recommend brittle paint with any kingman/spyder gun straight out of the box (exceptions being the em1 and raven primal). High operating pressures, stiff springs... rec or field grade only, plz. Cold weather could also be part of the problem, if it's cold where sterling is.

Aiming with bb and no sight of any kind was impossible (for me) with my Empire Trracer. Only after i bottomeline'd it was i able to comfortably aim all speedball-style, down the sides. Probably will do the same for this, which i tried last night but didn't have asa screws short enough (bottomline screw holes in the frame are relatively shallow).

Last edited by nerdcore; 12-30-2012 at 03:47 AM.
nerdcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:46 AM   #1806 (permalink)
Private Labels Only

2 good points,break it in and they get smoother

THUG LIFE KILL'IN KREW

Rare and Hard to find Killing Machines

My PBN Feedback
My AOG Feedback
Old Feedback
spydrmn22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:51 AM   #1807 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
well it has a guide rod, so if you want to limit the stroke, the pieces are already there...
I hadn't looked at that...does it just thread out? I'm assuming I could just run it out until it doesn't quite cock, then back off a little from there?

Thanks for the tip.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:55 AM   #1808 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdcore View Post
I wouldn't recommend brittle paint with any kingman/spyder gun straight out of the box...
My problem tonight was that I had a choice of the field's "high end" (brittle) or the non-round options. As a rule when I'm playing pump I spring for the "roundest" paint available...looks like maybe not with this marker.

I never had the barrel break problem with my sterling and the phantom guys seemed to be doing fine tonight..both of those are un-regulated CO2 markers. Seems like the phantoms especially should have exactly the same paint problems I was having...maybe I just was too caught up in my own frustrations and didn't notice their's.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:56 AM   #1809 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling500 View Post
I hadn't looked at that...does it just thread out? I'm assuming I could just run it out until it doesn't quite cock, then back off a little from there?

Thanks for the tip.
i haven't looked at one disassembled yet, but if other guns are any indication, the forward movement should be determined by the bolt already, and the rear movement you can just shove something down that hole in the pump arm where the guide rod goes in until the pump stops at where you want?
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:08 AM   #1810 (permalink)

That would work. I'll look into it tomorrow.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News