mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 10-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #371 (permalink)
Stock Class vs Agglets!!!

The Revolution isn't really a traditional nelson, if he is.
LibertyRadeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:41 PM   #372 (permalink)
MCB Member

Palmers Fan
I know, but its the only thing I could think he meant lol.

MCB Feedback
Malafanango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #373 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

And just look at how long the Revolution body is in comparison. I will take the down the barrel approach on this one.

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:58 PM   #374 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Yes I was talking about the Revolution. I mean honestly though you would think even with a Nelson based marker in today's age you would be able to figure out a easier way to adjust the velocity. Alas tough if it's not broke why change it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartin View Post
i think you will be fine. Fed Ex was always good to me until my wifes dog bit the driver. they usually don't avoid you unless they have a reason.
p8ntninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:30 PM   #375 (permalink)
BAZINGA PUNK!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to [MOOSE]

Brass N Wood Fan
Is sticking a rod down the barrel that hard? Easier than a full blocked cocker.
Long distance member of: Team Long Stroke (It's like a long distance relationship only better)

Last edited by Brewtt; 10-28-2012 at 01:00 PM.
[MOOSE] is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:36 PM   #376 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
How often are you people adjusting your velocity?

Not to mention that it takes seconds to drop the rod down the barrel and make minor adjustments. Good god, it is on the same level of breaking out an allen key for regulator adjustment. It is actually less effort, in my opinion, as you don't need a couple of shots each time to let the regulator pressure set.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:54 AM   #377 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
For an older marker like the Hammer it is tough, since you need a long flat head screwdriver from Harbor freight or Jerry rig something to adjust the velocity. Or in my case tear apart the pump assembly and insert flat head then reassemble. It is what it is, I guess I am used to adjusting via a rear tourney lock on my Spyder or via the reg on my Clone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartin View Post
i think you will be fine. Fed Ex was always good to me until my wifes dog bit the driver. they usually don't avoid you unless they have a reason.
p8ntninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:59 AM   #378 (permalink)
Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntninja View Post
For an older marker like the Hammer it is tough, since you need a long flat head screwdriver from Harbor freight or Jerry rig something to adjust the velocity.
I will confirm if we are including the Allen rod tomorrow. I saw one laying around, but I don't remember the call out on the box.

**confirmed** it will come with a Allen pole, I mean key.

Last edited by lmartin; 10-22-2012 at 01:53 PM.
lmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #379 (permalink)
MCB Member

Well it's not hard to think of an easier way to adjust the velocity, really. The SL-68 II has an easier method of adjusting velocity than down the barrel, and it's also a Nelson design. The only thing is that it adjusts velocity not by increasing or decreasing mainspring tension but by obstructing airflow through the bolt by varying degrees, just like a Tippmann blowback. Certainly an easier adjustment to make, but it also means that the marker has to be sprung in such a way that it can get up to velocity with the screw all the way out, in case it's cold and you're using CO2, or your paint is really tiny, or whatever other factors. Then when you need to shoot a lower velocity, say it warms back up or you buy new paint and it's a better fit to your barrel, you chrony back down but you're still using the same amount of gas. It ends up being kinda wasteful, and also means your pump stroke will be heavier than necessary.

If you have a regulator on your Nelson then you can adjust your velocity that way just fine as well, but most Nelsons don't have regs on them, especially not at the ~$150 pricepoint, so that's out.

What's left? We aren't going to adjust velocity through mainspring tension since that's too annoying to get to. We aren't going to diffuse the airflow because it's inefficient. We aren't going to regulate airflow because it puts us over budget and adds too much complexity compared to the problem we're trying to solve. So perhaps we can try reducing the volume of gas used per shot from the other end of the marker.

We could have a threaded back cap on the valve and easy-swap valve springs - but that leads to some pretty coarse adjustments and you also need to degas between adjustments. Not the best, especially for anyone without some kind of on/off system. Especially if they're using 12 grams. Ok, so what if we have a threaded nut on the back cap that adjusts the tension of the valve spring, rather than having the cap come off to swap springs? That sounds pretty good actually, however now we have to think about how easy it will be to turn that screw when the valve is pressurized, and consider if it will come unscrewed when under pressure. This means higher precision for the machined parts back there and a little more design time into how to thread the body. We also need to make sure that you can't accidentally remove the screw while the marker is pressurized, and also make sure that you can't easily screw it in so far that you damage the cupseal or powertube. This is getting a bit complicated and might drive the budget up as well.

So it looks like the best system overall is to change velocity with a regulator, but that's not going to make it into the $150 budget, and also adds complexity and isn't necessarily the most compatible with the varying gas systems used on pumps. 12 grams are usually not used with regulators, and you would also need to make sure your regulator works with both CO2 and HPA if you're going to sell it bundled with a budget marker and be necessary to adjust velocity. Seems like a tall order for the price point. The other best option was direct mainspring tension adjustment, which is gas system agnostic, and best of all, cheap and simple. The only problem is that it takes a little longer to do than most of the other methods when you're using a 14" allen key down the barrel. How else can we adjust the mainspring tension? We could make the body easy to open up and swap mainsprings, but that's again a coarse adjustment and not optimal for bring up your velocity by 10-20 FPS or so, and also requires more thought into how to build the marker body that way.

And now I've exhausted my list of ideas on how to adjust the velocity on a Nelson and come to the conclusion that the best overall system, especially at the price point of the Hammer 7, is indeed sticking a long allen key or flathead down the barrel.

Classic Mag, Grey Ghost #308, SC Brassterling, Super Stocker, VM-68
05 Cyborg, 06 Cyborg, PM8 LE Canary, Hybrid NXT, E-Tac

(MCB) Feedback
Z3R0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #380 (permalink)
MCB Member

I have just put my 18 year old son on the market....I figure if I can get $250 out of him then I can get one and some extra mags....any takers? He is a hard worker.....

For those of you who are thinking of reporting me for human trafficking or child abuse...i was just kidding....P/M me for all other inquiries

LOL

Seriously...this is on my list as of now to pick up. Gonna try and pre-order but either way...my old Extra may just have to give up it's pretty case for this one
Brother Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News