mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 10-30-2012, 04:02 PM   #611 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundadun View Post
Can't barrels be freaked and be under 1" as long as you don't use orings?
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteekay View Post
That was my point about the handle.

Sure - see every Freak'd Phantom barrel as an example.

It depends on the minor diameter of the barrel thread. That's probably going to be the same diameter as the shank. AC is ~.865. With Freak inserts being .741-.745 when I have measured them, I'm guessing that boring is ~.750 or slightly larger. That give a little over .050 wall thickness. There was a thread about an AC threaded Palmers barrel that broke from having too thin of a wall. Without having a Spyder barrel handy, I don't know.

Lou, is that something you can find out for us too? The OD of the shank for the stock barrel?

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #612 (permalink)
Pop-Up Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
...LAPCO has had one on the market for decades).
It's not an adaptor...it's a new breech. An existing adaptor, like Lapco's, won't work with Freak inserts, since the inch or so of fixed bore that the adaptor creates would negate the whole thing.

Go ye therefore to all the nations, baptizing them in copious amounts of paint.

Proud member of Team On Target.
www.teamontargetpb.com
Murf425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #613 (permalink)
MCB Member

If a Cocker adapter does come out, I'm all over that. I have some Spyder threaded barrels from my Ghost (PPS, J&J, and its stock Lapco), and I have an Orbium kit I've been using with my electros. I'd definitely be fine with only using the three Spyder barrels I have plus the stock barrel on the Hammer, but also being able to put my Orbium on there would be sweet.

Classic Mag, Grey Ghost #308, SC Brassterling, Super Stocker, VM-68
05 Cyborg, 06 Cyborg, PM8 LE Canary, Hybrid NXT, E-Tac

(MCB) Feedback
Z3R0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #614 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
Lou, is that something you can find out for us too? The OD of the shank for the stock barrel?
it will be the same as any spyder barrel, which is fine for freak boring.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:39 PM   #615 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf425 View Post
It's not an adaptor...it's a new breech. An existing adaptor, like Lapco's, won't work with Freak inserts, since the inch or so of fixed bore that the adaptor creates would negate the whole thing.
You're splitting hairs. It's an adapter and it does the same thing as the Lapco unit whether one is longer than the other is trivial.

So there will be an adapter available whether or not Kingman makes one. Or, as already pointed out the Spyder breeches can be rethreaded (Alpha434) easily enough to 'cocker specs.

Choose your poison.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMachinist View Post
$400 per 1000

smoke'em if you got'em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #616 (permalink)
Pif
12g4L

Kilt Fan
Dear Spyder.

Please have all the niche custom mods already installed, and included for the base price. Otherwise I won't want it. Even though I probably won't be buying it anyway.

/thread

I'm excited to see it as is, just mag fed. I don't care about a hopper. Tons of pumps out there that do that. This is the most excited I think I've ever been for a >$200 gun.

Lou, you've been amazing in answering all the questions here. Thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usagi Tetsu
Velcor is within all of us, you need not go looking for him. He sayeth, "wherever two or more of you are gathered, there shall I be." He is my solid bunker for me to hide behind from the incoming fire of mine enemies, He is the functioning regulator which keepeth my shots consistent, and He is my keen eye guiding my fire towards my hidden enemies. Yea, whosoever shall believeth in Him shall be guided by His right hand towards the flag, and whosoever denieth Him shall reside for all eternity in the Deadbox of Life.
Pif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #617 (permalink)
Boom. Yummy

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Quote:
You're splitting hairs. It's an adapter and it does the same thing as the Lapco unit whether one is longer than the other is trivial.
Im pretty sure the "adapter" is a whole replacement breach, to replace the spyder threaded one that turns/swivels for hopper or mag fed. It's not like lapco's "spyder threads to cocker threads adapter", it's more like lapco's replacement A5 breach with cocker threads.

Or you can get the original breach re threaded.
Using the lapco spyder to cocker will provide too large a bore if you are using underboring after the adapter.
dundadun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #618 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:

So there will be an adapter available whether or not Kingman makes one. Or, as already pointed out the Spyder breeches can be rethreaded (Alpha434) easily enough to 'cocker specs.

Choose your poison.
I don't really agree. The barrel doesn't thread into the body itself, it threads into this inner sleeve that is held in place by a set screw (at this point). If they came up with a quick change option for rotating the sleeve, like Lou says they are looking into, I would think that the market would prefer that to an AC threaded insert.

My issue with the Lapco adapter is that you are essentially trying to do with it what a Freak is used for. There is no point to go from a .689 breach (assumed, but common from what I've measured) to a .685 AC<->Spyder adapter to a .679 insert if you wanted a .679 the whole time. Granted, I don't know what the size options are for the Lapco piece these days, but I don't want one in between my bolt and by barrel for simplicity's sake.

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:06 PM   #619 (permalink)
Post Whore

I think in my opinion and in my experience you basically never want to use an adapter.
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:10 PM   #620 (permalink)
Bland

I wonder if you can get the LA Hitmen inserts threaded with Spyder on the back and 'cocker on the front. That way it would prevent rollouts, and work to hold a nice 'cocker threaded barrel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyghost View Post
Finding a good paintball game outside your area is like trying to figure out which neighborhood is the best for buying drugs.
Current Markers:
The Modern Pirate - Convertible Feed Sheridan

MCB Feedback
Tdot Feedback
RAZRBAKK is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News