mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 10-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #161 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by broder View Post

This isn't a marker just for magfed play, but it will perform good if not better than the rest of the magfeds out today. That will reflect in the price.
Dye is a smartly run company. By allowing hopper or mag fed, or a combination of the two, they make their target market bigger.

Honestly all these dual loading systems seem like a headache in practice due to the extra chrono time, but I can see why they prefer to build them this way.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:50 PM   #162 (permalink)
meatballs

Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
Dye is a smartly run company. By allowing hopper or mag fed, or a combination of the two, they make their target market bigger.

Honestly all these dual loading systems seem like a headache in practice due to the extra chrono time, but I can see why they prefer to build them this way.
Smart or greedy - you decide

But I agree, instead of just targeting magfed, like MILSIG or just targeting hopperfed, like macdev or DP. Dye can sell products to both these customer groups. It may not be the most practical solution, and I honestly believe that most people will not use both loading systems, but it is the first in it's category.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:04 PM   #163 (permalink)
Post Whore

dye do make some nice looking product, expensive but nice looking
hmcl281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:19 PM   #164 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Quote:
Smart or greedy - you decide
Building paintguns isn't charity work for most manufacturers!
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #165 (permalink)
meatballs

Quote:
Building paintguns isn't charity work for most manufacturers!
Haha true,except for ninja

but you could argue whether Dye's doing the right thing releasing a new matrix every year
Old 10-15-2012, 06:01 PM   #166 (permalink)
Sorry, that's classified.

Quote:
Magfed is pretty much the same idea as pump - sacrificing a little bit of performance for a whole lot of fun.

Thanks Russc. I'm thinking that line too. Me playing pump is fun for me. I started getting into mag fed recently. It's loads of fun doing something a little different from the rest of the crowd. I don't play pump looking for respect, but I have zero problem influencing those interested. I've converted two so far to pump style and they're having a blast because they felt tournament style was a little over-bearing at times.

Mag-fed I'm still getting into. I like it but don't know if I love it yet. But like you said, I'm going for the fun factor. The firing modes on the DAM are a plus. It's been mentioned before already, they're going for versatility.

I ask myself these things when I saw the DAM:
  • will I use first strikes?
  • will I use only one or both feed styles?
  • do I really need firing modes with the way I play?

I may or may not do any of these things. But having a single system where these are available to me in a single package (without modifying it) are available broadens the chances of me taking interest of being a versatile shooter. Better? No. Just adding to the list of fun things you can do on a single platform. And I like that Dye has pulled this out of their pocket.

Like in pump play. I'm not looking for a handicap. I'm looking for fun. Outside of my kp, I've nothing "rifle-like" and this looks promising.
Donut SD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:54 PM   #167 (permalink)
My Sarcasm is Legendary

I agree this is a Scenario marker at heart and I must say I like the versatility of the DAM. I would like to see a stripped down version. Skip all the rails, I wouldn't mind a Dovetail on top for a O.E.G. sight. I've been using a Mini as my go to Electro for a while so the ASA under the grip is fine with me. Seems a lot of markers are going that way. Drop the stock.I do like the earth\ camo colors, flashy really ins't my thing. I'd lke to see a double trigger option. A bit out of my price range. But I would own one otherwise.

As far as the Velocity difference between FS\and standard paintballs. IT would be awesome if you could run dual FPS. But I don't think it's really necessary.... Am I weird for thinking it would be cool to have a separate barrel for the mag? Kind of a over under shotgun look? that way you could have a barrel dedicated to FS and regular PB's

Didn't someone dream up a mutibarrel thing a while back? Something you could rotate into place if the other barrel got coated or you wanted to run an APEX? I swear I remember that somewhere..

FOUND IT!!!!

Tippmann A5/X7/BT4 MBAD Paintball Production Version - YouTube

MCB Feedback
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

PBN Feedback
http://www.pbnation.com/feedback.php?u=507494

A5OG: http://www.a5og.net/feedback-b-s-t/3...-feedback.html

I play paintball in a Fatsuit.

Last edited by BIGNUGLY; 10-18-2012 at 08:11 AM.
BIGNUGLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:58 PM   #168 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGNUGLY View Post
As far as the Velocity difference between FS\and standard paintballs. IT would be awesome if you could run dual FPS.
Feasible, if perhaps the rotating eye pipe could somehow be tied to a sensor that would tell the circuit board to use one of two preset dwell settings.
The Inflicted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:38 AM   #169 (permalink)
PB Tanker

Send a message via AIM to Octane2079

I don't see it catching on for pure magfed play simply due to the price point and the fact that with the 10 round back to back magazine you will be outgunned by a 250 dollar mk3 milsig, but for scenario play this thing should be pretty much at the top of the food chain. Also the magazine cost will really drive this things superiority in straight magfed play as well. I have alot of $$$ invested in my magazines to have suitable quantity to carry a decent loadout as well as to not be crippled if any of them go down during the course of play.

Quote:
Then why were so many magfed-players happy when they heard rumors about the new HEAT-core in milsigs would be able to full auto? (Which it can't, IIRC)

This isn't a marker just for magfed play, but it will perform good if not better than the rest of the magfeds out today. That will reflect in the price.
The heat core was only ever advertised with select fire capability in the (still in development) Milsig 17.

Last edited by Octane2079; 10-16-2012 at 12:43 AM.
Octane2079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:31 AM   #170 (permalink)
WJS

As a MilSim player, I can definitely see an advantage to using this paintball gun. At least, the way I play.

I'm in the sniper role and when defending, I use a Trracer pump handloading first strike rounds. I have a shotgun scope that is zeroed-in at 100 feet. This combination is deadly when defending because we are typically ambushing the attacking team. It allows me to get easy hits with the scope and first strike rounds while laying unseen around an objective.

However, when attacking, I switched to my Ego because the roles are reversed and we're usually walking into an ambush. Hand loading the Trracer just isn't ideal when under fire like that. However, if I were able to use a hopper and then switch to first strike rounds when the play allowed I could get an easy kill in that manner. This would be important since the sniper role earns points when on patrol.

The only problem with this setup would be getting an accurate round count since, when playing MilSim each role is only allowed an exact amount of ammunition.

And, all this assumes the feedneck position allows the scope to be mounted properly on top of the gun.

But if Dye wants $1000+ for this gun, they can go themselves.
WJS is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News