mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 01-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #551 (permalink)

CCM Fan
I've posted pics and videos earlier in the thread, but here are the links to them again....the first one with the strig, the screws that attach the bracket prevents the other side of the mag to be used. The second one with the bracket around the base of the mag allows you to still load the other chamber. As you can see, you can still attach another mag to the modified one which is how I carry the FS's with that setup. The hardest part is just trying to figure out a secure way to mount the socket onto the mag, there's probably better ideas than the ones I've came up with, but they seem to be working just fine. I epoxied a small piece of copper water pipe on the bottom of the mag to keep everything lined up and to use as a spacer. I also found that the black spacer that goes into the socket to hold the anti-feedback tab in place is a hair to tight on a few balls, depending on how the seam lines up so I used some sandpaper and enlarged it slightly. That was why the marker was firing a few times and no balls came out in the first test video. It would push the balls up slightly enough to break the eye beam but not all the way into the chamber.

Modified Dye DAM Mag with Q-Loader testing - YouTube

Dye DAM mag mod test 2 - YouTube

Defending Dogpound at Action Paintball Games - YouTube

Bunkers to Dogpound at Action Paintball Games - YouTube

Action Paintball 1-19-13 second game of the day - YouTube

Action Paintball 1-19-13 flag capture - YouTube
DJmatt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #552 (permalink)
Phantom Lords

CCM Fan
i apologize if this has been answered definitively already, but i feel like im getting contrasting viewpoints from some different sources online:

is moderate disassembly required to clean out chops/breach breaks in the DAM?

my feedback
Reloadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #553 (permalink)

CCM Fan
In my opinion, it is required. It may depend a little on your barrel and paint. I find when I get a breach break, the paint finds its way into a lot of little areas including on the bolt that can not be squeeged out very well and will cause you to loose accuracy. A thicker paint may not be as bad as I use Nelson Anarchy and it is a pretty thin paint. I pull the barrel, eye pipe and support piece and the bolt as soon as I get to the staging area whenever I have a breach break.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:48 PM   #554 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJmatt123 View Post
I've posted pics and videos earlier in the thread, but here are the links to them again....the first one with the strig, the screws that attach the bracket prevents the other side of the mag to be used. The second one with the bracket around the base of the mag allows you to still load the other chamber. As you can see, you can still attach another mag to the modified one which is how I carry the FS's with that setup. The hardest part is just trying to figure out a secure way to mount the socket onto the mag, there's probably better ideas than the ones I've came up with, but they seem to be working just fine. I epoxied a small piece of copper water pipe on the bottom of the mag to keep everything lined up and to use as a spacer. I also found that the black spacer that goes into the socket to hold the anti-feedback tab in place is a hair to tight on a few balls, depending on how the seam lines up so I used some sandpaper and enlarged it slightly. That was why the marker was firing a few times and no balls came out in the first test video. It would push the balls up slightly enough to break the eye beam but not all the way into the chamber.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...psb148edc2.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...ps46c7c843.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...ps4a6d9f3d.jpg

Modified Dye DAM Mag with Q-Loader testing - YouTube

Dye DAM mag mod test 2 - YouTube

Defending Dogpound at Action Paintball Games - YouTube

Bunkers to Dogpound at Action Paintball Games - YouTube

Action Paintball 1-19-13 second game of the day - YouTube

Action Paintball 1-19-13 flag capture - YouTube
Thought you had an actual box mag, like the rap4 box mag, I have seen your q-lloader mod, it's still pretty cool.

PBN Feedback
paintman161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #555 (permalink)

CCM Fan
Sorry, just meant that it accomplishes the same thing of a high capacity mag under the marker...
Old 01-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #556 (permalink)
Joint Fury Captain

Send a message via AIM to Joint Fury Balz

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatBoy View Post
If you cant the gun to the right to use that sight, what happens to everything left of the barrel?
Actually, if I were to run a DAM... I'd just have the sight mounted square on top. I shoot with both eyes open anyway. If your referring to the loader sticking out... if not your loader next to the sight, than your head behind it. Something is gonna be there to get hit. If your analyzing your profile by that slim a margin... I've got nothing for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admanobrien View Post
Thats great for a regular sight or scope, but if you want to take full advantage of fs rounds, an adjustable riser is the way to go. If you canted one of those at 45 degrees, youd have to tilt the marker to compensate when firing with any sort of elevation adjustment. While this is a perfectly good solution, it can lead to inaccuracy at range if you dont have the marker tilted just right. It also can lead to your hopper sticking way out if youre not going pure magfed.
Why not just aim high? Aim at the head for a chest shot, etc...

I mean, if these projects are just to satisfy that tinkerer need, I get it. It just seems like you're trying to reinvent the wheel.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:20 AM   #557 (permalink)
Delta paintball team

Yea balz that's kinda my point I was trying to make but some took it as attacks.

The $aint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:00 AM   #558 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint Fury Balz View Post
Actually, if I were to run a DAM... I'd just have the sight mounted square on top. I shoot with both eyes open anyway. If your referring to the loader sticking out... if not your loader next to the sight, than your head behind it. Something is gonna be there to get hit. If your analyzing your profile by that slim a margin... I've got nothing for you.
Let's say you're right handed, and you set that sight up on the left side of the gun so you tilt it slightly to use it as you suggested.

That means everything to the left of the barrel is pushed further left.

Which is great for shooting out the right side of the bunker.

Not so good for shooting out the left of the bunker unless you have a very awkward shooting style.
Logic and reason are anathema to him; but this does not deter him from prattling on.
He is the most interesting player in the world.
GoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:52 AM   #559 (permalink)

I agree, balz n' saint, the red dot works great without messing with it, unlike other markers like the A-5 which need something to account for mask clearance.

Only if you use a riser would you have to tilt the marker in order to make an offset work. If you want to use an offset with a regular red-dot, you're good. Like he said earlier, you just aim higher or lower to compensate. However, I don't really see a reason to use an offset at all for a red dot (maybe for a longer scope?), since the marker is well designed and gives you plenty of room before the hopper, and the stock is low enough to permit beautiful mask clearance. Unless of course, when you shoulder the marker, you naturally look down the left or right side of the marker, in which case an offset might be used just to put the sight where you look. I ran a 45 offset on my A5 forever and now its weird being able to properly sight down the marker. Hooray for a good design.

Just played with it today in fact, using a red-dot mounted directly on the rails. No frills, no offset, nothing crazy. And it worked beautifully. Plenty of mask clearance, great line of sight under the hopper.

BTW, I'm sorry if we got too defensive of our mods. Not the intention.
Admanobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:22 AM   #560 (permalink)
Joint Fury Captain

Send a message via AIM to Joint Fury Balz

Fan of EMR
Actually, my first thought was that the gun had a straight, center drop from the loader where I would have put the 45 on the right hand side. More of a natural move to cant to the left... For right handed shooters anyway.

For me, any plans to own a DAM have been shelved until I build an AR. Which, sadly enough will only be a little bit more $$$.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News