mcarterbrown.com

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 11-06-2013, 11:42 PM   #681 (permalink)
Dr. says it will clear up

CCM Fan
And in the interest of fairness

Mcb style: Those idiots at Dye actually believe that you can make a marker without any brass in it. But I'm sure it will be a fine marker for you since your majesty can't be bothered to pump his own gun.

Seriously, a real quick review. I love mine, do I $1300 love it. No. However I don't really believe ego's, dm's and all the other mass produced offerings in the price range are really worth those prices. Mine shoots nice and quiet, feeds fine from mag and hopper and switches without a hiccup. First strikes shoot great. I bought mine with the intended purpose in mind. A paintball marker that can shoot paint all day long and throw a few first strikes when I need em. It does this perfectly. I will be adding a Hawke xb30 without a riser since it seems to be all the scope I need for my intended first strike needs. I'm not a sniper, but a marksman. If there are any hopper clearance issues (I use a revvy so I have a nice sightline already) you can always mod a rip clip to attach to the side and then mount any sighting system you want.

Is the Dam perfect, no but it is close. If you want to shoot paint and first strike from the same platform the Dam is really your only option that does it, and it does it quite well. I would buy my Dam again and have no regrets.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #682 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leathalh View Post
As I understand it, because the breach is so large to accommodate first strike rounds there have been some problems with a force feed loader pushing a ball in too far and ending up with a ball and a half in the chamber. This will cause the bolt to chop the half fed ball. Probably why it works on full auto, it's shooting too fast for the loader to push the ball too far forward and causing a "half feed" in the breach. Solution, turn down your Rotor"s tension and it should feed much better. I feed mine with a revvy which is just an aggitated hopper and have yet to have any problems on any firing mode.

And yes, turning down my dwell increased my velocity. I can't explain why because I am not an expert on spool valves at all. I just equate it to sweet spotting a cocker. Higher pressure can cause a drop in velocity, seems that a higher dwell can too. Dye sets them up with a high dwell from the factory so that they will shoot all over the world. Tuning your dwell for your area will make the marker much happier. BTW, a dwell of 11 is very un-Rail like.
THANK YOU LEATHALH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had no idea you could adjust the torque in rotors. I turned down the tension so that the allen key was flush with housing.

Started in semi, NO BREAKS. went to burst, NO BREAKS. FULL AUTO NO BREAKS!!!. Re-loaded, still set on full auto and I empty my rotor, NO BREAKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The new bolt that dye gave me works amazing too, for some reason after just re-lubing I'm having no issues with velocity/leaks, and its very consistent. And it is the same as the new iron man bolt, minus paint/polish and soft tip.

The problem all along has obviously been half feeds, or double feeds. The problem is dye's **** detents, they might work good with larger paint, but anything below .686 and your screwed. At least in my case.

I don't know how high I can turn up my bps now, but at least on the stock fire rate I can play paintball!!!!
Mickey_Kn0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #683 (permalink)

CCM Fan
I'm glad everything worked out for you. I can see from your posts that the Dam has been a very trying gun for you. I don't think the detents can be to blame here, I think its the breach size for first strikes. Maybe a detent for smaller paint could help some but I think we all just need to adapt as we go, this is all fairly new ground. Lets face it, the Dam is the best option for first strike and paint in one platform. You can turn up the tension on your Rotor til you hit a point when it breaks again and then back it off a bit, that will give you your best speed for feeding. My revvy feeds at about 10-12 bps reliably which is fine because I have my Dam capped at 10bps anyway. Don't see a need for anyone to ever shoot faster than that.

Still recommend tuning the dwell. If you don't want to go through the hassle I would try just dropping it to 15, that seems to be a safe number for a lot of guys and will save you some air. The Dam has a built in failsafe on it with the dip switches. It will run in stock settings when they are properly placed (which is how they are set from the factory). The manual will explain all this better than I can and it is a very simple process. Being a cocker guy, I love to set my markers up for the absolute best performance I can get. Hope everything works out and I'm happy to help where I can.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #684 (permalink)

I can't tell you how happy I am. After 9-10 months (three trips to dye) and a season down the toilet, I was actually able to shoot it without breaking paint!

Does anyone know what the feed rate is when the tension screw is set to flush.

Last edited by Mickey_Kn0x; 11-10-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Mickey_Kn0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:00 PM   #685 (permalink)

I took the adjustment on the Rotor just a little further. I first found a spring that was softer and adapted it to the rotor. Also, I drilled an adjustment hole in the lower shell, so I can adjust it while its on my gun with paint. I adjusted the tension so that it binds up with a full load of paint, and then gave it more to eliminate the binding.

The next thing I did was to modify the board so the motor locks up as soon as the switch is tripped. Let me explain what this does...

motors tend to run on after power is removed. In the rotor, this compresses the paint. With my motor break mod, the motor stops right away, preventing or reducing the ball compression. In order to create a motor break, you just need to short the motor leads together. With this mod I just rewired the board so that switch disconnects the motor from the battery and shorts the leads together.

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

Edmund Burke
Mad Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:24 PM   #686 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Marty View Post
I took the adjustment on the Rotor just a little further. I first found a spring that was softer and adapted it to the rotor. Also, I drilled an adjustment hole in the lower shell, so I can adjust it while its on my gun with paint. I adjusted the tension so that it binds up with a full load of paint, and then gave it more to eliminate the binding.

The next thing I did was to modify the board so the motor locks up as soon as the switch is tripped. Let me explain what this does...

motors tend to run on after power is removed. In the rotor, this compresses the paint. With my motor break mod, the motor stops right away, preventing or reducing the ball compression. In order to create a motor break, you just need to short the motor leads together. With this mod I just rewired the board so that switch disconnects the motor from the battery and shorts the leads together.
Man, that's some quality modding right there.
Logic and reason are anathema to him; but this does not deter him from prattling on.
He is the most interesting player in the world.
GoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #687 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatBoy View Post
Man, that's some quality modding right there.
Mad Marty does some quality work...he's a hell of an asset to our team. Got any pics of this Marty?

Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:26 PM   #688 (permalink)
OKC

Do we know if they are shipping DAM's that have the new bolt and "fixed"? I've been wanting to buy this thing since it came out... are we there yet or keep waiting?
arturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #689 (permalink)
MCB Member

Mine has been working the whole time - and it sounds like Mickey_Kn0x wasn't having bolt problems and should have just tried other loaders first because it was his rotor setup (I have used 2 different rotors on mine w no issues).
http://www.thomaspaintball.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/Thomas4093
UThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:34 PM   #690 (permalink)

CCM Fan
New Dam's have the new bolt. I bought mine used but am told it has the new bolt. I don't get a hissing sound but have to turn it up all the way on the regulator to get it to shoot 300 fps. Of course the barrel is .688 and my field paint is .673 so that is a lot of underbore to make up for. I wouldn't have bought one new but I love it for the price I paid.

Mickey can you post some pics of the bolts you got, I'd love to know what generation I got.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News