mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 03-02-2013, 02:57 AM   #191 (permalink)
boo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimag03 View Post
K2 was the company who got CCM to stop making mechs right? I would hope Kee wouldn't follow K2's lead if CCM decided to make autocockers again. I don't see what's stopping CCM besides Kee, but that's a big 'besides'.
I would think nothing in the cocker design is patented since Bud Orr basically duplicated what Palmer had already done? Kee might own the name "autococker" but thats about it. I think what stopped everyone is when they all went electro and smart parts sent out their cease and desist along with eclipse telling wgp to pound sand and release the ego due to their battle.

And the cocker pretty much is open source, you could piece one together 100% of non worr games parts, its mostly oem pneumatic industry parts. Its why it was so cloned in the height of popularity and why bud orr made it in the first place.
boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:59 AM   #192 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo View Post
I would think nothing in the cocker design is patented since Bud Orr basically duplicated what Palmer had already done? Kee might own the name "autococker" but thats about it. I think what stopped everyone is when they all went electro and smart parts sent out their cease and desist along with eclipse telling wgp to pound sand and release the ego due to their battle.

And the cocker pretty much is open source, you could piece one together 100% of non worr games parts, its mostly oem pneumatic industry parts. Its why it was so cloned in the height of popularity and why bud orr made it in the first place.
Back blocks. That's WGPs intellectual property. It's what they used when fighting Action Markers on the Illusion.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #193 (permalink)
www.armorsquad.com

I'll be waiting for the matching E-cocker due about this time next year. Maybe a three marker matched set (Empire Sniper, Resurrection, {insert name here}).

I like them all. I also adhere to a simple set of rules that works for me. 1. I don't mess with the tuning. 2. I find someone I trust and pay them to take care of it for me.
I mess with enough markers, and having had to pay for the tuning of one out of about 10 autocockers tells me I'm right for rule #1, for me. I'm down to one for now and it works great, I have other markers to spend frustration on.

As for an E version, I have enjoyed the magic and splendor of getting up and hammering away at something, and watching the heads turn. Must be something about that mechanical sound that inspires people to move( myself doing the same). Love that E-cocker singing.

trueblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #194 (permalink)
INCEPTIONDESIGNS.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkfa View Post
Back blocks. That's WGPs intellectual property. It's what they used when fighting Action Markers on the Illusion.
Do you have any link to the IP on back blocks? I do not know of any and am pretty familiar with the IP that KEE acquired after buying JT who bought WGP.

WGP tried to trademark the look of their guns, including the back block, but they really didn't create any IP to protect the autococker as far as I am aware. They went after people on trade dress and trade marks, not patents.

It was later on when they looked to sell that they started creating more IP and trying to get trade dress on the look of their guns and even trademarking the "sound" an autococker made when shooting.

I am not aware of any IP that would stop someone from making a gun with a back block, but if there is I would love to see it.

Also when did the Sniper first get released? Since that had a back block and would have been prior art any patent would have had to have been filed within a year of that being shown or be invalid.
manike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #195 (permalink)
hth
Seasoned Member

Will we see a sniper conversion kit Simon?
hth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #197 (permalink)
hth
Seasoned Member

Not only that, I just remembered

Hinge =/= slider frame

which means it would cost quite a bit of cash to get
hth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #198 (permalink)
WVU paintball #19

AKA Fan
Are the front block threads not 2K? I thought a 2k pump kit, 1/8 npt plug, and the appropriate sized pump arm could pump this thing. Or would it require a Karni pump front block?
minimag03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #199 (permalink)
Dr. says it will clear up

CCM Fan
A CCM t2 doesn't have a backblock hint hint, wink wink, nudge nudge.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #200 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by manike View Post
Do you have any link to the IP on back blocks? I do not know of any and am pretty familiar with the IP that KEE acquired after buying JT who bought WGP.

WGP tried to trademark the look of their guns, including the back block, but they really didn't create any IP to protect the autococker as far as I am aware. They went after people on trade dress and trade marks, not patents.

It was later on when they looked to sell that they started creating more IP and trying to get trade dress on the look of their guns and even trademarking the "sound" an autococker made when shooting.

I am not aware of any IP that would stop someone from making a gun with a back block, but if there is I would love to see it.

Also when did the Sniper first get released? Since that had a back block and would have been prior art any patent would have had to have been filed within a year of that being shown or be invalid.
I don't, and to be honest, I may be passing on anecdotal information. And you are very right, they probably TRIED, but were unsuccessful. I just remember reading, on several occasions, that when the legal battle started they used the presence of back block in an attempt to claim infringement from the Illusion.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News