mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 05-14-2013, 10:16 PM   #301 (permalink)
Midget Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to cfos00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washington reign View Post
This worries me even more, the old ones never worked out of the box, had leaks, broken paint in the barrel, red loctite everywhere, timed poorly, petroleum jelly for lube ugh real gems for sure.
That's only really true pre-98s. The later years worked fine out of the box, because they basically took all of the aftermarket parts and incorporated them into the stock set up. The 98s were the first with threaded rods and couplers, which frankly is mind-blowing, and had several other changes that made them a LOT more reliable and user friendly. They didn't deserve the 'unreliable' reputation after that. They were pretty reliable, and didn't have trouble unless the owner started screwing with them. The pneus the last few years that they were made were very good too.

Having anyone with a clue giving them a once-over shouldn't be a bad thing. Nor should it take long if they're any good with cockers. If you know what you're doing with them, it really isn't that hard.

Need a Centerflag Uprising manual? PM me.

My Shooters
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/c...ml#post3081978
cfos00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:44 PM   #302 (permalink)
Post Whore

My '05 Prostock I bought new from WGP was probably one of the best shooting / tuned 'Cockers that have come through my hands, period - out of the box.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:54 PM   #303 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I'll be just lurking in the shadows waiting for the noobs who buy Resurrections to be cool to get all mad when they chop and cant make them work right....and sell them for $100.00 so Mom can buy them a new ( ) Ego ( ) Vapor ( ) Luxe ( ) BL Something or other (check one as appropriate) when all they need is to be timed!!! LOL......god its good to be "old school" an know how to time a 'cocker!...
Ringwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:02 PM   #304 (permalink)

Sarcasim is so lost on the internet these days...
Washington reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:29 AM   #305 (permalink)
Paintball Hunter

Sexy.

I love the fact that someone is bringing back the Autococker, in a nice body, and a slider too!

I tried rockers and went back to a slider myself.

Quote:
Not many people can properly tune and Time a Autococker correctly.
Yes and No.

If you understand the principles, everything falls in line and most any problem is easy to diagnose/fix.

I'm a techy guy, but I built my own from scratch and maintain it to this day (about to replace a 3-way after over a decade of use!) *see sig

I fix peoples old autocockers at the local field when I can... I enjoy it.

It's like maintaining a classic car.

The problem is too many people thought they fully understood the beast, and ended up mis-timing the hell out of it...

When I used to work tech at a PB shop back in ~2000-02ish , I would get autocockers come in 'just timed' from other shops that were butcher jobs.

Quote:
This worries me even more, the old ones never worked out of the box, had leaks, broken paint in the barrel, red loctite everywhere, timed poorly, petroleum jelly for lube ugh real gems for sure.
As someone said, that was before 97/98 97-99 saw very nice incremental improvements... Then after the 2k model update, everything worked butter smooth out of the box.

This new Resurrection looks great, and if I had the money laying around, I would absolutely be in line for one!

Especially for the slider!
Hammer7

Last edited by Venarius; 05-17-2013 at 01:34 AM.
Venarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:39 AM   #306 (permalink)
Paintball Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye20 View Post
I would buy these pneu's, and put them on the Empire Sniper.

Why? The Empire Resurrection doesn't have an autotrigger.

Can you say mechanical full auto?
The gun wouldn't cycle properly. If the sear can't catch/hold the hammer while the pump rod cycles forward... the hammer spring can't store kinetic energy ('the spring wont sprung'). This will result in poor hammer striking velocities to the valve, giving you severe drop-off if it's even enough to get the ball out the barrel...

[think of holding the cocking rod and pulling the trigger (releasing sear), then gently letting go of the cocking rod until it's at rest... the gun doesn't 'fire']

If one understands the basic principles, things fall in line with the Autococker!

Hammer7

Last edited by Venarius; 05-17-2013 at 01:57 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:51 AM   #307 (permalink)
Paintball Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalkriverracing

This is ridiculous, I could buy a used 99 STO or Orracle for around 250 bucks and put in all upgraded parts (if i even would). By upgraded parts i mean Belsales or Palmers parts, and have a far superior gun for the same price. True cocker fans would avoid any KEE/K2 products if they truly love the Autococker.
The problem with this line of thought, is that all orings break down over time. That's the problem I've had with my (very cleanly kept and used) Autococker built back in ~01.

If you buy an 99 STO, you are still going to run into small leaks as those o-rings are now like 14 years old...

Hope you know how to tear down and retime an entire autococker... got a valve tool?

And hope you can find good replacement o-rings for whatever particular parts that your used gun might have...

Common guys,

You are getting a BRAND NEW HIGH END cocker WITH a whole barrel kit for like just over 500?

Back in 2000... the stock basic Autococker was about $300...

So this is a great deal any way you break it if you want to get into a NEW retro-classic marker.

Wayyy cooler to fire at the field than the slew of various anonymous electros or m16 milsim markers over the past 5-10 years!
Hammer7

Last edited by Venarius; 05-17-2013 at 01:59 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:16 AM   #308 (permalink)

This
"If you buy an 99 STO, you are still going to run into small leaks as those o-rings are now like 14 years old...

Hope you know how to tear down and retime an entire autococker... got a valve tool?

And hope you can find good replacement o-rings for whatever particular parts that your used gun might have... "

Just made me out right laugh out loud sorry man.... Valve tools and orings are as common as drug dealers in Detroit.

Anyways it should be intersting when it finally gets released, hopefully the bugs were worked out first.
Washington reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #309 (permalink)
Cocker Lover

Lol I laughed pretty good too at that comment 2 posts above. You're way wrong buddy. My guess would be that you're not a die hard cocker guy. Oring monkey still makes kits for cockers and if you didn't want to go that route. As long as you know what sizes you need, there are plenty of other places to get orings. They are generic parts. And valve tools... if you couldn't find one, you can simply just make one by drilling a hole in an Allen wrench.
Nicodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:07 AM   #310 (permalink)
WVU paintball #19

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venarius View Post
The gun wouldn't cycle properly. If the sear can't catch/hold the hammer while the pump rod cycles forward... the hammer spring can't store kinetic energy ('the spring wont sprung'). This will result in poor hammer striking velocities to the valve, giving you severe drop-off if it's even enough to get the ball out the barrel...

[think of holding the cocking rod and pulling the trigger (releasing sear), then gently letting go of the cocking rod until it's at rest... the gun doesn't 'fire']

If one understands the basic principles, things fall in line with the Autococker!

Watch this video...

HPB Asks: Will an Autococker with Autotrigger Destroy the Universe? - YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venarius View Post
The problem with this line of thought, is that all orings break down over time. That's the problem I've had with my (very cleanly kept and used) Autococker built back in ~01.

If you buy an 99 STO, you are still going to run into small leaks as those o-rings are now like 14 years old...

And hope you can find good replacement o-rings for whatever particular parts that your used gun might have...
The only proprietary seal in most autocockers is the valve seat (and sometimes the LPR seat). Which are still readily available and still being produced by places like Palmers. And if you're a 'cocker guy' without a valve tool then I would argue that you aren't a 'cocker guy' at all.
minimag03 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News