mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 02-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

an word on what mags they work with?
Old 02-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Handgoon

Brass N Wood Fan
Not that I know of, but from what I have read about scarab arms take on the First Strike rounds, they will work with any marker that works with the tiberius First Strike

MY FEEDBACK
skullcandy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Well, this is interesting.

I don't get it. What's the point? By rough calculations, not accounting for wall thickness, a first strike round has half the payload of a normal paintball and that should be more than the payload of a .50 round.

Then, I suspect that those 'sabots' (for lack of a better term) will actually inhibit the paint spread, if they remain attached to the ball. This is because when a round hits flesh (or cloth covered flesh), the round sinks in a bit before fracturing and, the shell and the impact surface may completely enclose the round.

Maybe this isn't meant for regular paintball but, pure mil-sim (in the canadian sense of the term describing a game format).
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

I don't think those are FS replacements as they would also be using a smaller paintball. notice the sabot is larger in diameter than the actual paintball.

It looks like if they were to fit into a FS style magazine then the paintball is actually a .62 which would make a little more sense but still why not just drop it down to a more common .50?

They look a lot more expensive and if we are talking just a sabot then may not get a great deal better range or accuracy than standard round. Cause not long after leaving the barrel the sabot will typically drop away and you are left with a ball flying through the air instead of a at least a conical shape of the FS.

Should be interesting though.
Brother Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Jerry View Post
I don't think those are FS replacements as they would also be using a smaller paintball. notice the sabot is larger in diameter than the actual paintball.

It looks like if they were to fit into a FS style magazine then the paintball is actually a .62 which would make a little more sense but still why not just drop it down to a more common .50?

They look a lot more expensive and if we are talking just a sabot then may not get a great deal better range or accuracy than standard round. Cause not long after leaving the barrel the sabot will typically drop away and you are left with a ball flying through the air instead of a at least a conical shape of the FS.

Should be interesting though.
I've got no measurements to back it up but, I'd bet that if those fins are .68"-ish in size, then the ball in the nose is definitely not .62 since that's only .06" difference in size. I suspect that it's a .50" PB in a .68"-ish skirt. I know "sabot" isn't really the right term, it's just the best I could think of earlier.

All that being said, if it's a .50 in a .68 skirt as I mentioned, what's the point?
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

It is a .50" in a .68" skirt. That info was confirmed by SCARAB reps on facebook.

I want to see tests of it... Even though i think the idea is odd, and not likely to be accepted by fields... Also the cost savings are rather negligible, thy say its going to be 100 for $30, so compared to FS you save 10-15 bucks, but then you also need to buy .50" paint, so where is the saving? Unless it proves to have superior capabilities, compared to FS...
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
BOOM headshot!

I have a theory... and it's the only way I can make sense of these rounds...

It's not a reusable rubber skirt, and you don't provide your own .50 ammo to stick in them. I suspect (or rather hope) that they've taken the complex molding process used to make one-piece First Strike rounds (which is why they're $0.40 a piece) and split it into two-parts. Regular 0.50" paintball = cheap means for cheap fill. Biodegradable black fins without fill = less complicated and hopefully substantially cheaper than making a normal First Strike.

Pop the two together in the factory and sell them at a cheaper price point than First Strikes. From a business stand-point, it's the only thing that makes sense. They wouldn't bother introducing it if it were inferior in every way to the existing competition.
My feedback: MCB / a5og / eBay
freedummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:17 PM   #18 (permalink)
Handgoon

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedummy View Post
I have a theory... and it's the only way I can make sense of these rounds...

It's not a reusable rubber skirt, and you don't provide your own .50 ammo to stick in them. I suspect (or rather hope) that they've taken the complex molding process used to make one-piece First Strike rounds (which is why they're $0.40 a piece) and split it into two-parts. Regular 0.50" paintball = cheap means for cheap fill. Biodegradable black fins without fill = less complicated and hopefully substantially cheaper than making a normal First Strike.

Pop the two together in the factory and sell them at a cheaper price point than First Strikes. From a business stand-point, it's the only thing that makes sense. They wouldn't bother introducing it if it were inferior in every way to the existing competition.
This^^^

I can only imagine that molding those black skirts on mass would be significantly cheaper than making FS rounds as Tiberius makes them.

MY FEEDBACK
skullcandy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
It is a .50" in a .68" skirt. That info was confirmed by SCARAB reps on facebook.

I want to see tests of it... Even though i think the idea is odd, and not likely to be accepted by fields... Also the cost savings are rather negligible, thy say its going to be 100 for $30, so compared to FS you save 10-15 bucks, but then you also need to buy .50" paint, so where is the saving? Unless it proves to have superior capabilities, compared to FS...
Thanks for the info!

I suppose that if it has superior flight characteristics, it will do better in mil-sim game formats where they can set a rule for a hit counting as a hit, regardless of mark size.

I say this because I already have had problems of folks mistakenly thinking the paint left after a first strike hit, didn't count as a hit because they don't leave as much paint as a regular ball. A .50 round, has even less volume. And, that skirt certainly isn't going to help the fill spread.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
BOOM headshot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post
A .50 round, has even less volume. And, that skirt certainly isn't going to help the fill spread.
Quick maths...

Volume of 50% a 0.68" paintball (First Strikes are flat on the backside, right)? = 0.082... ci

Volume of 100% of a 0.50" paintball = 0.065... ci

Huh. Okay, that surprised me. So First Strikes would still have the slight edge on paint volume, which is to say they have 50% the volume of a regular paintball, but still 26%-ish more than one of these Scarab rounds...
My feedback: MCB / a5og / eBay

Last edited by freedummy; 02-26-2013 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Maths are important.
freedummy is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News