mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 03-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #81 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
Is that astm legal?
It's more than a gram lighter than the FS rounds. Those are in the 3.2-3.3 range IIRC.

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #82 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
It's more than a gram lighter than the FS rounds. Those are in the 3.2-3.3 range IIRC.
As i posted in FB, i have a whole batch of FS rounds (around 40 of em) and they all weight 2.5g~.
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #83 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

First Strike vs Paintball - Degradation Test - Conclusions - YouTube

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #84 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
As i posted in FB, i have a whole batch of FS rounds (around 40 of em) and they all weight 2.5g~.
I'd check and/or calibrate your scale. jjron99 and I both used high end scales (he used a jewelers scale, I used a reloading scale), years apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post
...First off, these measurements were taken some time ago (approaching three years now) I cannot vouche for whether or not there have been changes (intentional or accidental) to the rounds since...
...I switched the units to grains (for finer resolution) and I found the following:
1mo old box:
  • Avg Weight: 47.94grains 3.11grams
  • 95% +/- .7875grains .051grams

5mo old box:
  • Avg Weight: 48.03grains 3.11grams
  • 95% +/- 1.4321grains .09grams
Text in blue added for clearer relevance to this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjron99 View Post
I did a similar project in the spring of 2012.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...ps65812e6f.jpg

I weighed and measured each round the same way. I used a reloading caliper and a jewelry scale for measurements. One interesting note is the box of "blue" field paint averaged .6840 with 10 rounds measuring at .6830

Based on my average results, I came to a very similar conclusion, close enough to concur with UV Halo's findings.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #85 (permalink)
Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN1 View Post
Took this off Evan Henshaw's Facebook page (owner/operator of magfedpb.com) as he posted this in several of the mag fed FB groups. Keep in mind this is a prototype round and may or may not be the weight of the final product:

Attachment 37913
The rep i spoke with at the Paintball Extravaganza stated that this is not the final product and the testers were made from a different material.
lmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #86 (permalink)
MCB Member

I was initially skeptical of this arrangement from the picture, but I just now figured out why.

For a given thickness of shell, a smaller surface area can withstand more pressure just because less area is exposed to the pressure. This helps reduce breaking on impact on relatively soft surfaces. Now add support to that smaller shell in a foam cup, and the break on impact is reduced again.

Since we are talking about a long distance round, this would be a significant problem. I can see these breaking at regular paintball ranges, but with better accuracy. I will be interested to see how these break at distance.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #87 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartin View Post
The rep i spoke with at the Paintball Extravaganza stated that this is not the final product and the testers were made from a different material.
Well, here's the interesting thing- if they make the shell heavier, it will serve to destabilize the round by moving the center of gravity closer to the likely center of pressure (near the equator).

So, I wonder if they will be encapsulating the .50 balls themselves. If so, this may afford the opportunity for a heavier fill but, this would bring the round closer to violating the FSR patent.
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #88 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
I'd check and/or calibrate your scale. jjron99 and I both used high end scales (he used a jewelers scale, I used a reloading scale), years apart.
I did, the scale is certainly properly set.
i think it a one of kind batch, as ive just opened and weighted a different box and its all 3.10g+
Old 03-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #89 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
I did, the scale is certainly properly set.
i think it a one of kind batch, as ive just opened and weighted a different box and its all 3.10g+
That would suck. If I spent $40 on a case of those, and they came out underweight by that much, I'd be tempted to ask for a refund. Now I'm not going to blame the supplier here but, where did you get those rounds from?
Old 03-04-2013, 03:44 PM   #90 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
That would suck. If I spent $40 on a case of those, and they came out underweight by that much, I'd be tempted to ask for a refund. Now I'm not going to blame the supplier here but, where did you get those rounds from?
i got them around Canadian Carnage last year, so they are probably at least a year old, if not older. I just got to that specific box, and its obviously kinda late to ask for a refund... But i guess it would be interesting to test them, in comparison with the proper weight ones.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News