mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 05-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Just call me "Pistol Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut SD View Post
If there was a way to have the camera utilize some sort of attached scope, then yeah it's great for the price point.
Already done!!! Jeff Foxworthy approved!!!!

http://www.theiscope.com/wordpress

Last edited by FooFighter; 05-27-2013 at 10:42 PM.
FooFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
A Little Grainy

Completely unusable on an actual rifle. FS marker on the other hand...
Supergyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
Mind Your Manners

Uhhh are iPhones rated for centerfire?
Old 05-27-2013, 11:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

Send a message via Skype™ to DSA

I like it just because it brings another iPhone / firearm product to the market. Now if only someone would figure out a way to adapt an iPhone to a scope And market it cost effectively.

My Feedback Redux Knowledge Base My Email Line SI Knowledge Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to shoot nothing.
DSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:42 AM   #15 (permalink)
HAPPYnewspaperEATINGgoat

Send a message via AIM to Somnambulistz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrzone View Post
Mount an expensive Iphone (or a superior android ) to a paintball gun to get shot at? Ill pass.....
^heck yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_target View Post
I think that this company is actually developing this for firearm usage, not necessarily paintball usage.
was thinking the same thing......

Sadly, i've been in paintball a long time, a very long time, and time and time again, the topic, OMG DOES THAT SCOPE WORK!?!??! come up.

Once again, NO. until they develope a sight that takes the trajectory of a paintball fired (outta your marker, with the paint you are using for that day, and the barrel you will be using), calibrates it through a computer to make a sight corrective for the deviations in the day, this device, will be....... USELESS, and even if they did that, the lack of uniformity amongst paintball ammo even from 1 bag to another would make it still medium in accuracy at best.

MCarterBrown Feedback

LIVERPOOL FC FOREVER.

ANGEL ARMY

Angel 1 Speed

Torque ReduX
Somnambulistz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:13 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnambulistz View Post
^heck yeah

was thinking the same thing......

Sadly, i've been in paintball a long time, a very long time, and time and time again, the topic, OMG DOES THAT SCOPE WORK!?!??! come up.

Once again, NO. until they develope a sight that takes the trajectory of a paintball fired (outta your marker, with the paint you are using for that day, and the barrel you will be using), calibrates it through a computer to make a sight corrective for the deviations in the day, this device, will be....... USELESS, and even if they did that, the lack of uniformity amongst paintball ammo even from 1 bag to another would make it still medium in accuracy at best.
I second this.

The issue is we are not shooting bullets. We are shooting gelatin balls full of fluid (paint). They are mass produced and you can get vararence between not only bags but even among the balls in a single bag.
Throw in temperature, humidity, oil from your fingers (gettting on the paintballs "insert comment here") and whatever residue that builds up in the barrels from fired or broken paintballs and accuracy is compromised.

As I tell people an ideal bore to paint match, low humidity, low wind, good quality paint a fired paintball will do what the heck it wants.

I also agree with other posters here about putting an expensive cell phone on a paintball gun that WILL be shot with paintballs (multiple times and some at close range), dropped, banged around, and possibly fall off (this being lost or stepped on) is a REALLY dumb idea.

We already have small durable cameras that are designed for paintball (and other extreme/rugged sports) why not just develop a small/durable screen attachment.

Or make it a one piece scope where not only you get recordings but real time viewing (for that call of duty feel).

I presume such a device could be made within the 300 range (what a camera now runs). Especially if you leave out that BS hyped tech that helps aim paintballs (at least until the tech TRULLY works).

Sounds like another thing for those who value flash over function.
scrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #17 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

I wouldn't even consider a device like this for regular paintballs. Personally, I'm not a fan of mounting a smartphone to a paintball gun (blocked field of view with a rectangle up in your face).

That being said, I'm not happy with this setup. Digital zoom will suck- they really, really should've integrated an optical zoom. The problem is the vignetting (looking through tunnel perspective) that occurs when one hooks up a telephoto lens to a wide angle lens like that on smartphones but, some are willing to overlook that.

The idea of using wind data is cool but, will most likely require a data plan to support, which means, this phone will be the user's only phone. The "firearm and ballistics data" could be cool if they allowed for user entries- a lot of these databases associated with the firearms markets only allow for known or generic rifle cartridge loads. It'd be good if the database was open to accept the values I crunched for FS rounds.

The "Flashlight and Strobe" capability is comical.

I don't know if the tilt sensor is sensitive enough but, it'd be good to measure inclination as it affects range.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
First strike rounds punish lazy people. Don't be lazy and you won't have problems with first strikes.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

Interesting idea...been thinking of doing something similar on my own.

And I agree that scopes do not allow for "accuracy" in paintball, they do allow an experienced user the ability to snap up and potentially drop first rounds on or near target more accurately and more rapidly. But again this is only for the experienced user who knows his gun and its behavior. While paint varies tremendously it does not take long to learn how that functions in your marker.

And I am in no way saying that scopes work as they were intended to do (100 yard shots dead on the cross hairs) but just as a rifle can work as a club a scope can have a secondary or several alternative uses. Providing optical zoom for a camera to capture the hit...similar to Enterprises zoomcam, this is an alternative that uses a phone. Or just as a simple replacement for iron site sort of activity where you do not have get your mask down the barrel and around the air tank and such....it could work.

See I have a Droid Razr that has a nice HD Video camera in it that the glass is cracked. I was thinking of getting new glass and get a waterproof box for it and do something similar with it. without the phone being active and disabling the wireless and other crap while playing the battery life should get me a few hours of some decent footage.
Brother Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
Shop Smart,Shop S-Mart

tag
doc Zox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
Un-Active Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Iv done this before with my gopro. Any phone can connect via WiFi and view the footage. Interesting when someone can watch you play in first person view from the sidelines sadly the range is about fifty feet straight line sight
SEFishy is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News