mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Paintball News (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/paintball-news/)
-   -   Custom Viking board project featured on Hack a Day (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/paintball-news/235698-custom-viking-board-project-featured-hack-day.html)

grimace 06-16-2013 12:07 PM

Custom Viking board project featured on Hack a Day

Custom driver board for paintball gun (blog links to Simonized forum)

"[Gabe's] been wanting to do some embedded development for years, and his other hobby of playing paintball recently provided him with a test project. He’s been working on a custom driver board for his paintball gun. Don’t be confused by the name, GCode is a mash-up of his name and the fact that he wrote the code for the project. It has nothing to do with the G Code CNC language.

At first this might seem like a trivial hack, but this Viking paintball gun has some serious velocity and throughput so he needs a reliable control that won’t just start shooting randomly. Another thing that [Gabe] took into consideration was monitoring the loading process to make sure the paintball is full seated before firing. All of this is handled by that tiny little Femtoduino board. it interfaces with the guns hardware using the connector board mounted above it.

There are several videos sprinkled throughout the build log. But we found the officially sanctioned 12.5 balls per second mode and the ridiculously fast auto-fire clips the most interesting. It should come in handy when on the run from paintball shotgun wielding opponents."

This is a fairly popular blog for hardware hackers. Thought it was pretty cool to see a paintball project as they don't come up a lot.

sniper97 06-16-2013 01:58 PM

Nice! Viking owners need more options, Tadao is currently the only option in production!

digitard 06-16-2013 02:22 PM

Yeah,

Gabe's a stand up guy. Met him while I was in Boston for PAX EAST.

tlane77 06-16-2013 03:31 PM

Gabe is a good dude. He was a Macdev tech at one point I believe.

bellicose 06-18-2013 03:36 PM

That's a nice viking. Got to get me one some day.

Gunhero5 06-18-2013 03:58 PM

I've been following this on Simon's site. Being a rather large AKA collector, this is exciting news.

diesel_fireman2001 06-18-2013 06:11 PM

I'm excited for a "universal" board that will operate dual solonoids (closed bolt).

And something better than the Scenario Dreams Board.

Jaccen 06-18-2013 06:58 PM

What were your problems with the UTB?

diesel_fireman2001 06-19-2013 12:46 AM

I have had 5 of the Autococker T-boards, 3 flat out died, 2 would loose all settings when turned off / battery removed.

HP_Lovecraft 06-19-2013 12:54 PM

Reminds me of the old Parallax system that Bill Mills talked about back in 1999 or so.

Took me a bit to hunt down a link, but here it is:

I get the impression that those Parallax boards are more designed for making robots?