mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 03-14-2014, 06:38 PM   #71 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
it's .43

i'm pointing that out because i'm asking if 0.07 is small enough of a difference that boring the relevant parts would be enough to convert it
Boring the barrel is probably not going to be a problem. Now, fitting things in a mag might be a completely different problem.
I really like the picture posts, because I don't understand most of the word posts.
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:16 PM   #72 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
it's .43

i'm pointing that out because i'm asking if 0.07 is small enough of a difference that boring the relevant parts would be enough to convert it
Thank you. couldn't remember which it was.

Valve may not push enough CO2.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:37 PM   #73 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by subyrally View Post
as much as i dont want to see .50 on the field, i do think it would work well for cqb type games indoors. like say, an office type building. other than that, i dont see much point for the average player. might be fine for younglings that want to try paintball but donw want to get hurt.
I think you make a VERY good point.

As a specialty nitch like for cqb training/police training and in other countries like UK that 7paintball pointed out (shameless plug, they ARE A GREAT RETAILER) then .50 is good for those.

But lets deal in reality people.

After all the different calibers were tried in the 80's (yes I have been playing that long) .68 was found to be the best all around for all aspects of paintball.

For the last 20+ years the standard has been .68 and all equipment has been designed for it. Now your asking players who use modern and stock play to either buy conversion kits (to which some older one will not have) or buy brand new guns/.50 compatible equipment. All of which cost a lot of cash.

I am sorry but this is like trying to change the size of a baseball, hockey puck, or basketball. With the difference is we have more equipment (loaders, mags, guns) to change.

If tippman wants the police/military training and European market great.

Don't try to change the US market

Scrounger
scrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:48 PM   #74 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounger View Post

After all the different calibers were tried in the 80's (yes I have been playing that long) .68 was found to be the best all around for all aspects of paintball.

For the last 20+ years the standard has been .68 and all equipment has been designed for it. Now your asking players who use modern and stock play to either buy conversion kits (to which some older one will not have) or buy brand new guns/.50 compatible equipment. All of which cost a lot of cash.

I am sorry but this is like trying to change the size of a baseball, hockey puck, or basketball. With the difference is we have more equipment (loaders, mags, guns) to change.
Most of the gear owners I know own more than 1 marker and guys that are in the hobby for the long run seem to buy new markers every once in a while, so for someone that is interested in that style of play, I don't see a big issue with offering a 50 alternative.

Also, there are always new players entering the market. They too will be buying new markers. Depending on their style of play, they may choose to buy a smaller magfed marker that will shoot 50 cal. I don't think anyone is trying to make everyone change from 68 cal. I think 68 cal will stay the dominant caliber for a long time, maybe forever. But I don't see a problem with giving people a choice, should they want something different. I don't think anyone jumped all over Kingmann when they decided to give players an option to buy a 43 cal marker.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:39 AM   #75 (permalink)
7paintball & Airsoft

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounger View Post
I think you make a VERY good point.

As a specialty nitch like for cqb training/police training and in other countries like UK that 7paintball pointed out (shameless plug, they ARE A GREAT RETAILER) then .50 is good for those.

If tippman wants the police/military training and European market great.

Don't try to change the US market

Scrounger
I have to say that I don't agree. I love what .50 offers to the market. If used correctly it can be huge.
Lockport, IL 60441
(815) 588-1777

We always offer discounts to the Military, Police and Fire Departments.

*All things Paintball and Airsoft*
G.I. Sportz, Valken, Empire, JT, Dye, Virtue, G&G, Elite Force, Tippmann and so much more!
7paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:41 AM   #76 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Trying to go backwards to a caliber that was tried and basically rejected by the market in the 80s seems dumb Imo. 68 is the standard for a reason just stick to what works

Feedback +36/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:02 PM   #77 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7paintball View Post
I have to say that I don't agree. I love what .50 offers to the market. If used correctly it can be huge.
Huge? No.

Potentially more marketable? yes.

But it will never take over and replace what MILLIONS of players already use.

.50 Cal is the Sisyphus of the Paintball world.

E
Old 03-18-2014, 10:28 PM   #78 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon16 View Post
Trying to go backwards to a caliber that was tried and basically rejected by the market in the 80s seems dumb Imo. 68 is the standard for a reason just stick to what works
The difference between the industry today and the industry in the 80's is size. Today, we have room for diversification and there are so many manufacturers and with CNC machining and such, it's much easier to develop new stuff and bring it to the market. In the 80's the market was so small, segmenting made no sense. We were still working on economies of scale. Concentrating on one caliber made a lot of sense. Today there is no need to do that anymore.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:22 AM   #79 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Which is fine... so long as you don't mix them on the field.

E
Old 03-19-2014, 09:43 AM   #80 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitti View Post
Which is fine... so long as you don't mix them on the field.

E
We don't currently, but in the future if players want to handicap themselves by shooting 50 cal against players that shoot 68 cal, I can't see that being much of a problem. It's their choice. Just like some people shoot 43 cal in regular games.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News