mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 01-29-2014, 09:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocockerfan View Post
I am more than likely going to get my second infraction for this, but here it goes anyway. **** 50 CAL. These ******* are trying to force us to go to a new caliber because the can only make so many more 68 products before the 68 train runs dry. They see this and want to force everybody to buy something new so the money to them keeps flowing. 50 cal. didn't work, 55 cal. didn't work, and all the others didn't work either. We are 68 cal., and that's where we are mother****ing staying.
How did you interpret that anyone is trying force anyone to a new caliber? Did you also get the idea that they are going to force you to go magfed?

I'm a little surprised that Tippmann is throwing their hat into the 50 cal market, seeing as they said they will never do that, but I guess with new ownership comes new thinking.

Most companies are looking at 50 cal as a stepping stone to 68 cal. The biggest problem facing paintball is the lack of attracting and retaining new players because of how "normal" paintball has changed over the years. 50 cal, especially if shot slightly slower yet, reduces the impact considerably, giving us a second chance to attract these players. Once attracted and retained, some of them will move over to 68 caliber and we will have more people playing. That's a good thing. I just hope they don't screw it up and turn it into an arms race, but with a bunch of new players getting into the market, I can see that happening. Next thing they'll do is something stupid like changing the ASTM standards so players can shoot it faster in which case 50 cal will no longer be a good stepping stone. But lets hope that doesn't happen.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

the .50 cal thing will most likely be directed at fields for rentals, and the younger crowd (10-14 maybe).

I dont believe their focus is to convert the industry or existing advanced player base from .68 to .50.
Skipdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Formerly Floundah

CCM Fan
I have problems with people wiping my paint with .68, I cant imagine .50

You raise a good point about rentals though! Didn't even think of the pain difference / attraction from the new player perspective
MEDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
Discovered the Hidden Cup

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Any good businessman should know not to try an idea that failed 5 years ago unless you have a new approach or the environment has changed. I don't see any radical changes in the market other than mag fed, so I assume Tippmann has some trick up their sleeves.

With .50 you could have a gun with a much more realistic load-out: more paintballs in smaller magazines. Now imagine .50 paintballs with some sort of ballistic modifying features, a'la First Strike Rounds. Have I piqued your interest? Now, what if, since we're not locked into a ball shape, those rounds are longer, with a weight closer to .68 round paintballs. There are all sorts of technical problems that would have to be solved, of course; point is, can you imagine no .50 possibilities that, with the right PR, could excite the market?

...or maybe they will re-hash the same crap that didn't work in 2009. Who knows.
Feedback
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
Any good businessman should know not to try an idea that failed 5 years ago unless you have a new approach or the environment has changed. I don't see any radical changes in the market other than mag fed, so I assume Tippmann has some trick up their sleeves.
I'm not a particularly good businessman, but I am quite certain that half my business at our field will consist of 50 caliber games by the end of this year and my overall business will increase as well (although not double )
Old 01-29-2014, 10:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Cant trust those who have something to gain
T-MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:27 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-MAC View Post
That's kind of generic. By this definition, we cannot trust ANY for profit business? Care to elaborate?
Old 01-29-2014, 11:03 PM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

.50 seems to make sense for the mag fed people at this time. Or at least I think so. They can put more rounds in the same size mag or decrease mag size. It will allow them to use less air per shot hence smaller tanks hence a better ability to look like the real firearms they are pretending to shoot.

It also makes sense for the private rental games and field owners. As a field, you can offer it as a less painful option to a private party group but at the same price. once the equipment is bought, the paint should be cheaper per round, the air/CO2 usage should be lower so if the renters are paying the same price you put more in your pocket as well.

from a performance stand point, I think it's crap. It is somebody looking for a new cash cow.

If loud pipes save lives imagine what bright pink helmets could do.

my feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Last edited by K_Obeastly; 01-29-2014 at 11:12 PM.
K_Obeastly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:40 PM   #19 (permalink)
all work

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-MAC View Post
Sad to say I agree.

.50 cal is a step backwards ballistically and more fragmentation of an already tiny player base. If it hurts too much for the kids we can always turn down the velocity. If it still hurts too much there's always laser tag...

Last edited by Nightstar; 01-29-2014 at 11:43 PM. Reason: undefined
Nightstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:48 AM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstar View Post
.50 cal is a step backwards ballistically and more fragmentation of an already tiny player base.
How does it fragment the player base? The gear owners that choose to play with 50 cal are doing so by their own choice. If they are choosing to play in regular paintball games with 50 cal rather than 68 cal, so be it. Their choice. It doesn't change anything for those continueing doing what they are doing.

Quote:
If it hurts too much for the kids we can always turn down the velocity.
Or they can play with 50 cal and have more fun, making it more likely they'll come back. Again, it won't affect everyone else one bit, except for the fact that it might attract more players to try paintball and possibly stay with paintball for you and I to play with in the future. How much would you turn down the velocity? The Physics - TNT Paintball

Quote:
If it still hurts too much there's always laser tag...
Laser tag is not paintball. For the 10 - 12/13/14 year old market and for many females, 50 cal at about 250 fps is as extreme as they want it, but it's still an extreme sport to them, which gets the adrenaline flowing and makes paintball exciting for them. Isn't that what we all want?

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News