mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 01-30-2014, 03:36 PM   #21 (permalink)
all work

Well, If we are all playing on the same field with different caliber ammo then I guess there's no fragmentation of the player base. This is not in line with turning down the hurt for players with sensitive skin though since the decision is made by the other players who may choose the ballistically superior .68.

I'm familiar with the formula for kinetic energy and capable of the simple math, thanks for the handy table though. The remaining variable is pressure which is a function of kinetic energy and surface area is p=f/a. Airsoft BBs can hurt too yo...

If lower caliber is the answer we already have .43

I know laser tag isn't paintball but paintball isn't for everyone. My 14 year old nephew doesn't seem to mind the pain nor does his mother or the other females I play with. That sort of misogynistic generalization doesn't do justice to the superior pain tolerance that most women posses relative to the average male. Still if you can't take the pain maybe laser tag would be more fun regardless of your age or sex.

I play at 250fps regularly at 230 occasionally(these are maximum velocities).
Nightstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:38 PM   #22 (permalink)
all work

Addendum: Paintball is not an extreme sport.
Nightstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:23 PM   #23 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstar View Post
Addendum: Paintball is not an extreme sport.
Actually I kind of agree with you there. It's not like anyone is going to die. I'm not the one who labeled the sport an extreme sport. They did that way back in the day when were all just shooting 30-50 paintballs in a day at one another. I wonder what those peole would call today's version?

But yeah, just replace the word extreme with painful then. That would probably be more truthful.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:43 PM   #24 (permalink)

So there's Italia, who owns GI, and Tippmann, who was just bought out by Italia.

Is anyone who isn't too deep down the .50 hole actually in favor of it?
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:06 PM   #25 (permalink)
MCB Member

50 cal would be a great option for fun, less painful paintball under one circumstance, it you separate it from the 68 cal players.
When I started my field I ran 3357s exclusively and the players had more fun in those days than we have ever had since! Range was 15 yards, accuracy was 10, and you never saw bad welts. We had mixed couples groups all the time with everyone having a good time. I regularly saw people chasing each other around thickets laughing and giggling.
Then some hardcore freak bought a PGP and things changed forever.Suddenly my rental players were getting shot 15 yards before they could even think of shooting back, The other guns were more accurate at that range too. I was faced with the choice of banning 68 cal guns or buying a whole new fleet of 68 cal rentals.
If the field owner is able to purchase enough new guns for the 50 cal crowd and has the facilities to be able to run separate games this could be a real crowd pleaser. Experienced 50 cal owners may even dare to play with the 68 cal guys (extreme handy cap). but putting rental or newer 50 cal players on the same field with 68 cal players will kill your business in a matter of weeks.
Just my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Furious View Post
You'll have a tough time finding a nicer group of people on the internet(even if our opinions all suck).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalsilence View Post
I've dealt with canadians several times and I usually undercharge by 2-5 dollars cause I feel bad for them sometimes. Just my 2cents.

feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...k-big-jim.html
big jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:27 PM   #26 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
So there's Italia, who owns GI, and Tippmann, who was just bought out by Italia.

Is anyone who isn't too deep down the .50 hole actually in favor of it?
GOG will be releasing a 50 cal version of the eNMey soon (will be available to virew and preorder at PB Extravaganza at the end of the month).

KEE is reworking the Opus to make it more reliable. John Robinson, CEO of KEE sees 50 cal as an important component to reboot the industry.

So to answer your question, only the biggest players in the industry seem to be interested.

Last edited by Horizon; 02-01-2014 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:36 PM   #27 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big jim View Post
50 cal would be a great option for fun, less painful paintball under one circumstance, it you separate it from the 68 cal players.
When I started my field I ran 3357s exclusively and the players had more fun in those days than we have ever had since! Range was 15 yards, accuracy was 10, and you never saw bad welts. We had mixed couples groups all the time with everyone having a good time. I regularly saw people chasing each other around thickets laughing and giggling.
Then some hardcore freak bought a PGP and things changed forever.Suddenly my rental players were getting shot 15 yards before they could even think of shooting back, The other guns were more accurate at that range too. I was faced with the choice of banning 68 cal guns or buying a whole new fleet of 68 cal rentals.
If the field owner is able to purchase enough new guns for the 50 cal crowd and has the facilities to be able to run separate games this could be a real crowd pleaser. Experienced 50 cal owners may even dare to play with the 68 cal guys (extreme handy cap). but putting rental or newer 50 cal players on the same field with 68 cal players will kill your business in a matter of weeks.
Just my experience.
One thing I've noticed in our 50 cal games is how much more active younger players are almost immediately. Today was a perfect example. We had both an open 68 cal game and an open 50 cal game. I had a group of 4 (3 kids about 12-13 and 1 father) who wanted to play in the 68 cal game. About halfway through the day, the dad asked if they could switch and try the 50 cal game because his kids seemed to just be cowering behind bunkers and not really moving or playing. I had some extra 50 cal gear set up and ready, so I let them trade in the 68 gear and paint for 50 cal. At the end of the day, when they handed in their gear, the dad said the kids had way more fun playing with the 50 cal. He said, they actually played, instead of just hiding. I get way more repeat business from renters who play in the 50 cal games than I've ever had using 68 cal.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:27 AM   #28 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
One thing I've noticed in our 50 cal games is how much more active younger players are almost immediately. Today was a perfect example. We had both an open 68 cal game and an open 50 cal game. I had a group of 4 (3 kids about 12-13 and 1 father) who wanted to play in the 68 cal game. About halfway through the day, the dad asked if they could switch and try the 50 cal game because his kids seemed to just be cowering behind bunkers and not really moving or playing. I had some extra 50 cal gear set up and ready, so I let them trade in the 68 gear and paint for 50 cal. At the end of the day, when they handed in their gear, the dad said the kids had way more fun playing with the 50 cal. He said, they actually played, instead of just hiding. I get way more repeat business from renters who play in the 50 cal games than I've ever had using 68 cal.

Really? Hmm

All of the field owners I talk to can't get that far because they sure as heck aren't going to replace their whole fleet or even buy .50 gear. The argument I've heard is that if the .50 gear and paint was donated by GI or whoever for people to try, they could gauge the customers' reactions.
Rover Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:33 AM   #29 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Ok so if no one can agree between .43, .50 and.68, shouldn't the industry consider larger paintballs?
250 CAL Empire Paintball - Bigger is Better - YouTube
Rover Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:24 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
GOG will be releasing a 50 cal version of the eNMey soon (will be available to virew and preorder at PB Extravaganza at the end of the month).

KEE is reworking the Opus to make it more reliable. John Robinson, CEO of KEE sees 50 cal as an important component to reboot the industry.

So to answer your question, only the biggest players in the industry seem to be interested.
I'm still confused why Kingman, now KEE never tried reworking the Chaser/Eraser line for .50
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News