mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 02-03-2014, 03:51 PM   #51 (permalink)
all work

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-SHOOTIST View Post
The real problem is people's unrealistic expectations.
Look at life:
Birth
Growth
Slow decline.
Death.

Trees have a life cycle. So doesn't economic growth. It waxes and wanes, it's a living thing.
When the insurance companies allowed the "under eighteen" crowd to play, there was an influx of [I]three to four million players[I], hence the flooding of the market with the sub-$200.00 "Comp" gun, which was competitive with what was being used by the "true enthusiasts", the guys who played a few times a month. Fields snapped these us as rentals, as all those 12 year olds and their rental Splatmasters/PGP's/Nelspots were being slaughtered mercilessly by guys like us with Bushmasters/Phantoms/Carters, and the late model PMI's. That influx of cash triggered people to get in on the gravy train.
How many gun manufacturers were there in 1992? A couple hundred?

Then, everything stagnated. Bulk fed semi's were perfected, and the "true enthusiasts" were using these, until the "budget semi-autos", the "Stinkrays/Spyders/Illustrators" were cheap enough for the masses in the late 90's.
How many manufacturers were making STBB/ILBB's in the late 90's?
A couple hundred? Where are they now? Just like the companies who made the Razorbacks/Bloodsuckers/Trrracers/Mavericks, they've all vanished. Victims of a flooded market of mediocre products with a limited future.

Enter the 2000's, and you have the Ions/eNemys/etc. The sub-$300.00 electros, capable of 15+BPS, while all the "true enthusiasts" run the Ego/DM/Marq. The Axe/Aura/Mini are all sib-$300.00 and are breaking the 26 bps threshold, so the "industry" is looking for it's next "cash cow". Their hopes are on mag-fed and .50 caliber. They're hoping to do it once again.

But:

What if they gave an "arms race" and no one was interested in participating?
So, you have what we have now, .50 came out and failed. Mag-fed came out and is enjoying some success, so they're going to combine the two, and hope all the kiddies who play Battlefield and Call of Duty can get a ride to their local park, and rent an AK-47/M416/G36 and play on "Maps" like "Nuketown" or "Operation Metro". They want to change out mags, and have select fire.
Guys who play "Recon" class all want bolt-action rifles so they can sand-bag on the fringe of the "Maps" and launch "First Strike" rounds at you.

So, I'll continue to play with my Superstocker/Phantom, and be considered a "relic" or a "dinosaur". Nothing new to me. I've been playing pump/stock all my Paintball life. That's 32 years. I'm still here, playing the way I like.
The "mainstream industry" can do what I've told it to do for the last 22 years: go 5hit in your hats. FYBIPPB. Good luck with your wealth accumulation. I hope your stack of money reaches to Heaven.
I agree with most of this with some exceptions.

When I first played in '86 or '87 at The Great Canadian Survival Game we were shooting semi auto AGA .62 pistols. They worked flawlessly for me anyway. Pump is for chumps ever since then excepting stock class games of course.

First strike rounds are the single greatest technological advance in the game. HPA is the next best thing. Everything else is either BPS or BS.

Making smaller paintballs isn't an evolution or a revolution it's a devolution plain and simple. If the big boys want to make some .50 shaped projectiles I'll consider trying them otherwise what's in it for me?

Edit: damn you MAR your avatar can not be unseen!
Nightstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:07 PM   #52 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Investing in a business is always a decision one has to base on risk vs. reward. When I was looking at expanding into 50 cal, I only knew of two others that had seriously gone into 50 cal. One offered both 50 and 68 and at the time said his 50 cal was growing faster than his 68 cal portion of the business. About a year later, he has more 50 cal business than 68 cal. The other field switched over to 50 cal completely (offers no 68 cal) and when I spoke to him he said he had doubled his business in a little over a year.
.50 is probably too new for you, but has the first field owner been seeing any kids ending up as regular .68 caliber players after starting with .50?

IMO, if even one kid becomes a regular paintballer through an introduction to low impact .50 caliber, it is an amazing thing. These are players who we never would have gotten. How is this a bad thing?

Besides, unless you are a 9-14 year old boy attending a birthday party or a lady at a bachelorette party, this round of .50 caliber isn't really marketed at you so why so angry?
2hits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:13 PM   #53 (permalink)

I think a semi auto/10 ball per second limit would do more for the sport than .50 cal. It's the speedball "full auto" type guns that make it hard for new players from what I've seen. Not everyone is built to carry a pump gun/budget semi auto into that mess. Good speedball died with electronic triggers in my opinion.
jonmac427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:44 PM   #54 (permalink)

CCM Fan
As a person who has used .50 Cal before, it has its uses... The range is disappointing, but for suppressing fire it shines. Having like 800 rounds in a hopper is a satisfying thing to know when you are making a push vs hundreds of players. Will it take over .68 cal? No. Is anyone trying to force you to have to buy .50 cal? Not that I have seen.

I say give it a chance to take off before beating up on it.
Rotozip2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:04 PM   #55 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hits View Post
.50 is probably too new for you, but has the first field owner been seeing any kids ending up as regular .68 caliber players after starting with .50?
Yeah, too new for us. Most of the people who are playing 50 cal are fairly young kids and a few parents. We've had a few stags opt for the 50 cal, but for the most part it's kid's birthday parties. Are many of them going to turn into regular players? Who knows? The fact that we get a higher percentage of return customers is a good sign though, in my opinion. At least less of them are opting to stay away. As they get older, more than likely they will play 68 cal. 15 to 16 year olds almost always opt for 68 cal. They don't want to play "Low Impact" (you know, teenage macho thing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hits View Post
Besides, unless you are a 9-14 year old boy attending a birthday party or a lady at a bachelorette party, this round of .50 caliber isn't really marketed at you so why so angry?
I think people are much less angry now than they were in 2009, because no one has made any stupid, nonsensical claims. The anger you see now is still residual anger left over from last go around. Most players realize that it really isn't going to interfere with them if a field offers Low Impact. Just like there was praise rather than anger for Splatmaster 50 cal. No one felt threatened.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:10 PM   #56 (permalink)
BEES BEES BEES

Send a message via MSN to Harbinger[TG]

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozip2 View Post
I say give it a chance to take off before beating up on it.
Were you around 4 years ago last time they pushed .50 cal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
I think people are much less angry now than they were in 2009, because no one has made any stupid, nonsensical claims. The anger you see now is still residual anger left over from last go around. Most players realize that it really isn't going to interfere with them if a field offers Low Impact. Just like there was praise rather than anger for Splatmaster 50 cal. No one felt threatened.
Yup

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News