mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 02-26-2014, 04:14 AM   #91 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
It's not that hard to make good paint, but it is harder, takes more time, and therefore costs more. With paint manufacturers struggling (bankruptcies, closures, mergers, and moving to cheaper labour markets are all evidence that this is obviously happening), it must be difficult for them to spend the extra money and then try to recoup it.

I'm not a paint manufacturer, but I can tell you why they would resist putting born on dates on paint.

If a store or field had a choice between two manufacturers of paint, one that has born on dates and the other that doesn't, almost all would chose the one that doesn't. Why? Because just about everyone of their customers would choose the freshest paint, for obvious reasons. Then they would be stuck with their older inventory, and as it got older still, it would be that much harder to get rid of. With the low markups in the paintball industry, if they have to flog older paint for very cheap or even end up throwing it away...well, you could see why they wouldn't want to do that. It would make it that much more difficult for smaller stores and fields who do not turn their inventory over quickly.

If all manufacturers were forced to put born on dates, then automatically retail paint prices would have to increase to make up for the spoilage.
retailers can counter this by putting new stock in the storage room until the boxes on display are all sold. you see grocery stores do this with milk to a degree, the fresh ones are in the back of the lineup.

it takes cooperation on the store's part, but they have every reason to do it.

but hey, it's not as profitable as mystery date paints. at least good stores have the courtesy to open the box to show that it is good.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:02 AM   #92 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
retailers can counter this by putting new stock in the storage room until the boxes on display are all sold. you see grocery stores do this with milk to a degree, the fresh ones are in the back of the lineup.

it takes cooperation on the store's part, but they have every reason to do it.

but hey, it's not as profitable as mystery date paints. at least good stores have the courtesy to open the box to show that it is good.
I'm sure stores do that now (sell the older paint first). I know we do at our field.

I'm not sure if born on dates would help much anyway. I think the concept of "fresh" paint is over rated myself. I've had skids of fresh paint that were crappy right off the bat and I've had other paint that was still great after 6 months or more. I have a bag of some sample paint someone sent me (I think the company was in Korea) years ago that shot and broke really well. I've kept it around and every once in a while I'll take a few balls to see how it's doing, just out of pure curiosity. After about 3 years, it's still great.
Horizon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:30 PM   #93 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Send a message via AIM to skife Send a message via MSN to skife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
The Marbellizers from that era were made using the Advantage System that PMI patented. Apparently they came out of the manufacturing machine dry and had a dull finish, rather than the shiny finish they and most every other paintball has. I agree they were very good. Not sure why they abandoned that system, I know I had a lot of disappointed customers when they did.
that was the good stuff.

i remember shooting EVIL with the evil logo on it
RPS bigball was always good to shoot.
skife is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News